Top 10 automotive failures of the last decade - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
FFTeam
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Top 10 automotive failures of the last decade

10. Honda Insight

On its own merits, it's difficult to call the Honda Insight a failure. When it debuted in December 1999, it represented the first hybrid vehicle offered in North America, beating the Toyota Prius to market by seven months.

The Insight scores points for originality, but it gets decimated by the Prius in terms of sales by a ratio of 18 to one. The Insight also trails the Prius in a number of other metrics. The two-seater first generation Honda Insight returned remarkable fuel economy figures, but it lacked practicality and refinement. The second-generation four-door Insight made improvements to both, but fuel economy dropped well below that of the Prius.

9. Ford Thunderbird

It was the early 2000s. Retro-styled cars were all the rage with the Mini Cooper and VW Beetle stirring up a wave of nostalgia. Ford jumped on the "old is new" bandwagon with the 2002 Thunderbird.

Styled to fall in line with the classic 1955-'57 Thunderbirds, the revived RetroBird certainly turned its share of heads. But under it all was a repurposed Lincoln LS. Chopping off its roof resulted in body flex, which Ford combatted with heavy bracing. On the whole, this new 'Bird lacked any notable innovation, and the carryover of parts from Lincoln was disappointing.

When Ford pulled the plug, this four-year revival barely outsold the original three-year run classic, which sold 53,166.

8. Chrysler Crossfire

Note to manufacturers: Don't name cars after something you don't want to be caught in.

Born out of the Chrysler/Daimler-Benz partnership, the Crossfire was built on an aging SLK roadster platform. It seemed that most were pleased with the Crossfire's boattail styling, but as the aforementioned Ford Thunderbird proved, style only goes so far.

The antiquated recirculating-ball steering made it slow to respond, handling was disappointing and at the same time, the ride was harsh. To further pile on the drawbacks, the interior fell short of expectations, as did overall performance and everyday convenience. In the end, not even Celine Dion could save the Crossfire, and the final insult came when remainders were sold off on overstock.com and eBay.

7. Chevrolet SSR

Is it a pickup or a roadster? Neither, because both of those can justify their existence. The retro-styled Chevrolet SSR is one of the oddest vehicles ever squeezed from Detroit's loins. It was based on GM's midsize SUV platform but lacked any real utility. This two-seat hardtop convertible had the potential for some al fresco driving entertainment, but being overweight and underpowered (early models were powered by GM's 5.3-liter V8 making 300 horsepower) kept any actual fun at bay.

Despite an increase in power output and interior improvements in 2005, sales remained abysmal. Some say that the SSR stood out on the highway. So does a car fire.

6. Lexus HS 250h

If your target is a happy medium, you'll often end up with mediocrity. Such is the case with the Lexus HS 250h, which tried to bridge the gap between luxury sedans and hybrid pods. It fulfilled the promise of neither, and buyers responded by siding with either a Prius or CT 200h.

The HS 250h's size and Camry Hybrid powertrain kept it from achieving Prius-like fuel economy numbers. Besides that, the rear seats didn't fold and costly options easily pushed the price too high. Having a name that sounded like an inner-city public high school probably didn't help, either. In any case, Lexus killed the HS 250h after only three years.

5. Cadillac XLR

Typical Cadillac buyers like luxury. Typical Corvette buyers like performance. When the Cadillac XLR debuted in 2003, it represented something they both could despise.

Built on the outgoing C5 Corvette platform, the Cadillac XLR used a weaker V8 engine, had a softer suspension and sported a folding hardtop roof. For all that trouble, Cadillac charged $75,000 for the angular roadster, which was about $20,000 more than a fully loaded 'Vette.

Besides the backward less-for-more proposition, the ill-conceived and poorly executed XLR suffered from disappointing handling and an interior design and build quality that was far below that of European rivals. The XLR officially went out of production in 2009, but it took GM until 2011 to sell off the remaining stock.

4. Acura ZDX

At the press launch, one editor mused that ZDX stands for "zero demand expected." Prophetic words, indeed.

Much like BMW's X6, the Acura ZDX is built on an existing and rational platform: in this case, the MDX. In an attempt to add "sportiness," Acura stylists sliced the rear section to give it an aggressive tapered hatch. Though this made the ZDX's appearance edgier, utility took an unrecoverable hit.

Rear-seat headroom was reduced to childlike dimensions and cargo space dropped to carry-on luggage only. Consumers identified these shortcomings and monthly sales are currently in double-digits. Somehow, the ZDX remains in production.

3. Lexus LS 600h L

The only thing that's green about this car is the fortune you'll spend for one.

The Lexus LS 600h L is no eco-friendly car, despite its hybrid badging. The 5.0-liter V8, supplemented by two electric motors makes 438 horsepower. That's a gain of 78 hp over a standard AWD LS 460 L. More power and it's a hybrid? Hold on, it only gets an EPA-estimated 2 mpg better than the LS 460. Two. Take into account the $30,000 hybrid premium and it'll take you 109 years to recoup the costs in fuel savings (at $4.00/gallon averaging 15,000 miles annually).

Even if you were immortal and had unlimited funds, the LS 600hL is still hard to justify. The hybrid battery and components for the standard rear refrigerator and climate control reduce trunk capacity to 13 cubic feet, compared to the regular LS's 18 cubes. With the all-electric Tesla and large diesel luxury sleds making it to market, why would you ever consider the LS 600h L?

2. Mitsubishi iMiEV

Electric cars have come a long way in just a few years, with admirable interiors, impressive performance and decent range on a single quick charge. The Mitsubishi iMiEV is not one of those cars. This odd-looking pod (podditty?) can muster only 62 miles per charge, takes 14.7 seconds to hit 60 mph and has an interior that rivals some golf carts.

Yes, the iMiEV is relatively affordable, but the Nissan Leaf is $325 less (before rebates and incentives) and offers more range. Buyers notice, too, as the Leaf outsells the Mitsubishi 23 to one.

In gas-powered terms the i MiEV is a $23,000 car with a 60-mile range and a fuel tank that requires 7 hours to fill. In the end, we rank it one step above public transportation.

1. Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

Finally, an answer to the question, "Wait.... what?"

Is there really a section of the population that wants a convertible SUV? If there is, would they want it to look like an overfed Juke? Of course there isn't, and that's why the Murano CrossCabriolet gets the not-so-coveted top failure spot.

And even if it were a sales success, the CrossCabriolet would still be an awful car. The lack of a roof allows the entire body to flex like the Tacoma Narrows bridge. That, in turn contributes to the car's poor handling. Then there are the giant doors that make entry and egress difficult in tight spaces. Did we mention it's a convertible utility vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think the rebadged for taurus the Ford 500, which was done to discontiue the old taurus name, was a huge failure.

And deserves a spot on the list.

Once ford noted the failure in sales with 500 they brought back the taurus and all was forgiven.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
#11. Plymouth Prowler - No power, no fun
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Great list.

I don't care what anyone says, I still think it would be awesome to own an SSR with a supercharger.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
harrison.mike.j
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113544
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 harrison.mike.j Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFteam
Some say that the SSR stood out on the highway. So does a car fire.
So good. That convertible SUV is ridiculous.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
while i agree with the logic on most of those; i've always like the T-Bird, SSR, and XLR for their uniqueness and rarity. Almost bought a XLR a while back (early midlife crisis when i got the rx8), but couldn't find one that was in my budget. love the angular lines on them.
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Who made this list? There are so many more substantial failures. Most of these cars are actually pretty cool.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
The Insight failed because Americans are stupid, not because it was a poor design.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Lot of styling & tech. demonstration vehicles on the list, never intended for large sales numbers.

Insight was a demonstration/test project for aero design, mpg features, hybrid design and full aluminum construction. Not bad as a tech. demonstrator for a high MPG car...

S.R. #275
Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
No Pontiac Aztec?
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!

Bookmarks & Social Networks