My Focus Indecision - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Tech-Specter
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115427
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Tech-Specter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My Focus Indecision

So first off, Hi I'm new To FF,
I'm am a proud owner (kinda) Of a 2012 Focus SE sedan....Lease

Which the lease part is what brings the issue....
I Test drove an ST and LOVED it but, I love LOVE the look of the sedan so I'm looking for the popular opinion.
Should I just Push my LOVE for the sedan aside and just buy an ST when My lease Is up, Or buy A manual Titanium Sedan And Mod it and hope for a turbo down the road if i want the power?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
CJ148941
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115820
What I Drive: 2011 Black SE, 2.0L 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 CJ148941 Good Standing Member
Tech-Specter I to also had a hard decision when it came to choosing what I wanted for a car. My positive thoughts of the ST good looking car, 6 spd manual trans, turbo engine, stock boost gauge, actually more gauges in total, full size spare and good looking interior. My not so good point is its a hatchback not a lot of storage space or backseat space. Trying to basically turn a titanium into a ST in possible but its more than a turbo. As far as I know you cant get a 6 spd in a titanium its only a 5 spd. I hope this helps and if it makes you feel better Im also planning to add a turbo along with other things on my 11 focus se.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
XPM5G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96330
What I Drive: '78 Chevy Custom Deluxe

FF Reputation: 1 XPM5G Good Standing Member
Go with your gut man both are great choices! The Titanium might be easier on your pocketbook, making for more options down the road for modding. But realistically, you can't go wrong either way

Welcome to FF!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Tech-Specter
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115427
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Tech-Specter Good Standing Member
Thank you both very much, I'm happy to be here and plan to stay so You can all see My next focus become One of a kind, This forum has given a good plan on what I'm planning to do, Now just need to find so Mod savvy FF's In the metro Detroit area to hang with
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
autolite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
I feel the same would love a ST in the sedan
Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Specter View Post
So first off, Hi I'm new To FF,
I'm am a proud owner (kinda) Of a 2012 Focus SE sedan....Lease

Which the lease part is what brings the issue....
I Test drove an ST and LOVED it but, I love LOVE the look of the sedan so I'm looking for the popular opinion.
Should I just Push my LOVE for the sedan aside and just buy an ST when My lease Is up, Or buy A manual Titanium Sedan And Mod it and hope for a turbo down the road if i want the power?
to. I'd go for the motor 1st. Just to say, When I bought my car back in '04, I wanted a svt, but went w/ the Dura-tech 23 instead of the svt, for the grunt of the 23. In the Focus's case, Go for the motor 1st.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
I'll buy a sedan, but you should go for the ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Specter View Post
... Should I just Push my LOVE for the sedan aside and just buy an ST when My lease Is up, Or buy A manual Titanium Sedan And Mod it and hope for a turbo down the road if i want the power?

I prefer the appearance of the sedan over the hatch, too, but not enough to pass up an ST if I wanted the higher performance and was prepared to pay for it. ("If you wanna' play you gotta' pay.") For a car (or motorcycle), how it drives should always count for more than appearance (to a point) in my mind.

The first thing you have to do is get UN-confused about that. Do you really want a turbo (at any time)? If so, and if you can afford to buy the ST now, then just DO IT. That way you can enjoy the turbo while it is still on warranty rather than have to wait until the warranty period is over (or sacrifice part of it) to install one yourself. The only good reason to delay would be your budget.

It also does not seem likely that an aftermarket turbo you would put in a sedan later will be as satisfying as the factory installation in an ST, nor end up costing much less (I think) if done right. Unless you got all the ST parts from a wrecked one (or two) it just seems like it would always come up a bit short of the whole factory build. Or cost way too much. The only way I could see going this route rather than with an ST is if you really enjoy doing that kind of project and are good enough to pull it off. That, and if having something unique is really important to you.

If that's the case, you could always get the ST now and, as your budget allows, get a cheap used sedan down the road and make it a turbo hobby project: "Do I want a Sedan, or an ST?" "YES." If it turns out really good, you could always sell the ST at that point. Or, make one be racecar. Now, would you want an F-250 or a Transit to haul it to the track? (Sorry, I get a little carried away.)

If you got an ST and really enjoyed driving it then it wouldn't matter that it is a hatch and not a sedan 'cause you can't tell the difference from the driver's seat. Other than aesthetically, the shorter back end of the hatch would only be a disadvantage if you have to transport something laying flat that is larger than the space behind the back seat at same the same time that the back seat is occupied with passengers, preventing you from folding it down.

Aesthetically, the ST is a bit boy-racer looking compared to the sedan, but it looks better to me than any other Focus hatchback, except for a few that focusfanatics owners have modified.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 11 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Best of both worlds, looks good, lots of cargo space, and goes fast
Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
Not and SUV, won't get it in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Best of both worlds, looks good, lots of cargo space, and goes fast
All of the practicality AND performance of the ST hatchback with a more formal form factor, like the sedan has, with the longer rear overhang and less radical tail lights. (Hey, that rear valance should fit on a sedan!) Not to mention even greater cargo capacity than the hatch. I love it, but my taste in cars is not representative of carbuyers in the US. This discussion has gone on in at least a few other threads for a while, and is always a disappointment for US buyers who would love to have that car. (GhiaFan, do you enjoy torturing us with images of that car?) Hmmm, could the OP relocate to somehwere that car is sold?

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 07-14-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added question; Title should be: "Not an SUV ..."

Bookmarks & Social Networks