Focus & C-Max Best Used Car - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus & C-Max Best Used Car

This info pertains to MK3 Focus & C-Max
The Ford C-MAX has been named the “Car of the Year” in the DEKRA Used Car Report. The prestigious German reliability study also named the C-MAX the most reliable hatchback and the Focus the most reliable compact car. Remember this is a German organization, which would be like reading a Japanese (or Consumer Reports ) report stating that a Ford vehicle is more reliable then a Toyota

Check this link were you can compare vehicle segment used car ratings.
http://www.used-car-report.com/index.php?id=6

What amazes me when you compare the perception difference of the Asian makers vehicles, between Europe and North America.
These stat comparisons show that Honda, Toyota, & Hyundai/Kia have a ways to go to beat Ford, which is upside down when compared to what the so called unbiased Consumer Reports sells.

Docs of the report and how the evaluations are carried out link http://www.used-car-report.com/index.php?id=7

Last edited by GhiaFan; 02-28-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
This info pertains to MK3 Focus & C-Max
The Ford C-MAX has been named the “Car of the Year” in the DEKRA Used Car Report. The prestigious German reliability study also named the C-MAX the most reliable hatchback and the Focus the most reliable compact car. Remember this is a German organization, which would be like reading a Japanese (or Consumer Reports ) report stating that a Ford vehicle is more reliable then a Toyota

Check this link were you can compare vehicle segment used car ratings.
http://www.used-car-report.com/index.php?id=6

What amazes me when you compare the perception difference of the Asian makers vehicles, between Europe and North America.
These stat comparisons show that Honda, Toyota, & Hyundai/Kia have a ways to go to beat Ford, which is upside down when compared to what the so called unbiased Consumer Reports sells.

Docs of the report and how the evaluations are carried out link http://www.used-car-report.com/index.php?id=7
Part of it is the American consumers perception of Asian car makers being reliable goes back 30+ years. Toyota and Honda did make much more reliable cars in the 80s and 90s than the Big 3 did. The defect rate was much lower, and they, Toyota especially, pioneered lean manufacturing.

Now, Ford's biggest QC issues in the US has been MyFord Touch, transmissions, and new model roll out. Some of these things are US/North America only issues. These days, cars are so reliable that the difference from first place to middle of the pack is 5 issues per 100 cars.

Also, many Americans put 15000 miles a year, or more, on a car. We usually see mechanical defects faster.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
Also, many Americans put 15000 miles a year, or more, on a car. We usually see mechanical defects faster.
I think this is a bit of a myth.
When I look at 3 -4 year old cars in Fords used car for sale here is Estonia , in most cases the average per year is over 15,000 miles (24,000km) on this list of used cars
http://www.auto24.ee/clients/iauto/u...h&language=ENG
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

The European auto manufacturers association says the average miles driven in a year in the EU is around 8000. Here in the US its around 15000 miles/yr.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The C-max is new here, and hybrid only.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
My gf bought a Subaru for work in late 2010 and it crossed over 60k a few months ago... patrolling her sales routes. So you have the folks that leave the average behind by Mid-year, too.

It's good to see that Ford's reputation has gotten to the place it is recently! I remember hearing a few years ago that stock prices hit $2/share (on a payday)... I have regretted not dropping that paycheck on it ever since!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

So far, my C-Max is the most reliable car I have owned.

I need to look more into how this study collected its data. The fact that Audis are listed as very reliable is puzzling to me. As much as I dislike the Toyota Corolla, its difficult for me to accept that it is less reliable than an Audi A3.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
The European auto manufacturers association says the average miles driven in a year in the EU is around 8000. Here in the US its around 15000 miles/yr.
Latest stats listed
The average annual distance travelled by a car in Europe is about 22,000 km (approx. 14,000 miles yr)
source - page 30 latest stats from 2008

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/fi...nd_edition.pdf
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

The ACEA's website says 14000 km/yr and thats the data I was using. I guess it may be a typo?
http://www.acea.be/news/news_detail/vehicles_in_use/

If its 22000 km/yr, I stand corrected. I see that in thier report as well. I'm still shocked at the differences in what is considered reliable. It all comes down to what consumers view as a problem.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
RedDogAB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107829
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, ZX5 SES - modified

FF Reputation: 1 RedDogAB Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm still shocked at the differences in what is considered reliable. It all comes down to what consumers view as a problem.
This represents my thoughts for years when I've looked at JD Power surveys. The expectations of some buyers are going to vary from others. I've ridden in cars full of squeaks and rattles no Porsche, Lexus or Mercedes owner would tolerate for a second so it would be in the shop on warranty as a "problem" or unscheduled repair visit. Heck, I've test driven brand new cars with a rattle I would never accept at the five year mark.

I loved both my VW's but issues like that eventually surfaced. Neither Focus has ever made a sound.

Bookmarks & Social Networks