Traded our 2012 Focus hatch - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
BillyKeith
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90032
What I Drive: 2010 white suede SE

FF Reputation: 1 BillyKeith Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Traded our 2012 Focus hatch

We traded our 2012 Focus hatch today for a 2014 Fusion. After two dual clutch replacements in just under 30,000 miles we just felt like we had to do something. It's a pity, we really loved the car other than the transmission issues we felt would just get worse. To be quite honest, I didn't want another Ford after going through what we have for two years. We really did not think any other car company would give us anything knowing the issues with a lot of the 2012 Focuses so we decided to give Ford a second chance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
Nearly in the same boat here...I'm trading in my 2012 hatch this coming weekend for a '14 Escape. I've not had any major issues, but coming up in 60k miles I'm just not confident in the long term prospects of my car. I hate to let it go, but I'm already saving up for a '15 ST.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
BillyKeith
Focus Enthusiast

We took a hit on the Focus because we still owed on it but we felt we had no choice. I just didn't want to one day, after the warranty period, be told we needed a major repair on the transmission. Then not only be paying on the car but also having to fork out thousands for transmission work. After two dual clutch replacements, we felt we were in a corner and needed to get out. Good luck to you. I'm assuming you'll be buying an ST manual? We would have gotten the manual Focus but my wife has a physical defect that prohibits her from driving a stick.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Peace of mind and not having to deal with problems can be worth a lot of dollars.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
i'm assuming the '15 STs will only come with manual option, so that's what it will be...my wife will have her Escape, so there'll be no need for her to drive my ST ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyKeith View Post
We took a hit on the Focus because we still owed on it but we felt we had no choice. I just didn't want to one day, after the warranty period, be told we needed a major repair on the transmission. Then not only be paying on the car but also having to fork out thousands for transmission work. After two dual clutch replacements, we felt we were in a corner and needed to get out. Good luck to you. I'm assuming you'll be buying an ST manual? We would have gotten the manual Focus but my wife has a physical defect that prohibits her from driving a stick.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
BillyKeith
Focus Enthusiast

"Peace of mind and not having to deal with problems can be worth a lot of dollars."

Totally agree with you Slybarman. I came from a Ford auto family, growing up my Dad had nothing but Fords or Mercurys. He would be very disappointed with the product we were dealing with if he were alive today.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
lowflyn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76353
What I Drive: 12 Sonic Blue SE 5Dr

FF Reputation: 3 lowflyn Good Standing Member
Ya'll keep trading them in for a loss. Making a great secondary market for the rest of us. My 12 hatch was a steal on the used lot.

90 Mustang LX Vert - "7up"
04 Mustang GT - Stockish
94 Mustang V6 Vert - Broke
Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyKeith View Post
We traded our 2012 Focus hatch today for a 2014 Fusion. After two dual clutch replacements in just under 30,000 miles we just felt like we had to do something. It's a pity, we really loved the car other than the transmission issues we felt would just get worse. To be quite honest, I didn't want another Ford after going through what we have for two years. We really did not think any other car company would give us anything knowing the issues with a lot of the 2012 Focuses so we decided to give Ford a second chance.
If you received good service, there is nothing wrong with buying another Ford.
Conversely, buying another Acme car when Acme didn't service your previous car properly is idiotic.

Since you have a 2012, the replacement of the original clutch assembly is not unusual.
Why exactly was the second clutch assembly replaced?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Did the same, traded my 2012 FF (64 000 km) for a 2014 Chevy Volt.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Trading a car in for a loss, regardless of reason, is the financial equivalent of stabbing yourself in the knee. You are going to be paying interest on a car you no longer have for the entire life of your new loan, you will be upside down in your new car far longer, if anything were to happen to your new car insurance wouldn't cover the loan, etc. etc. etc. Financially, you would be better off just saving for a potential repair than just flushing that money down the toilet.

Hope it's worth it

Bookmarks & Social Networks