Upgrade to leather ??? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95564
What I Drive: '08 Vermillion Red 5 speed SEdan

FF Reputation: 5 DarderSauce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Question Upgrade to leather ???

Alright guys since the ambient lighting isn't a direct plug n play option I am thinking about upgrading my cloth seats to leather. Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the plugin under the driver and passenger seats for regular power seats is the same as the plugin for power/heated seats?

I will try to snap a pic of my harness when I get home but any info you may have is appreciated. I think I can get leather seats for ~$400. Think its a good buy if they have heaters?

Also are the leather seats in the second gen's similar to the leather seats in the first gens. What I mean by that is do leather seats offer more comfort and/or back support than cloth?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Our cars didnt have power seats as an option. Im not sure what connection is there under the seat it might be for heated seats but you would have to get the climate control out of a ses with leather for the switches. Make sure the covers you get are rated for side airbags. Katskinz are but cost $700 or so new. There are some others out there that swear theirs are too.
Realize that not all of the material will be leather if going aftermarket. Only the front seat backs and bottoms usually. The rest is vinyl. Back seat is vinyl too.
if you plan on pulling the seats outta the car thurn the key to the on position and undo the battery. Wait 15mins for the system to de energize then you should be safe to undo the airbag harness at the base of the seat. Pealing the old off and reinstalling is a breeze. There are some bits of velcro thathold the leather to the cushion and some metal loops. Reinstall the seat amd plug the bag back in. With the key still on reconnect the battery. If the bag detonates you will be well clear of it instead of you sitting down amd trying to start the car. I have done seat swaps many times and have never had an issue. This is the industry standard for dealing with bags. Better safe than sorry.
leather is a great upgrade and you will get your money out of it at time of sale. Simple to clrean, doesnt stan or smell, holds up to wear and pets. But adding heated is a must. There are many after market kits. You just have to run some wires to the fuse block and add a switch. At least with aftermarket there are multiple heat settings whereas with ford just one-on.

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtferrari View Post
Our cars didnt have power seats as an option. Im not sure what connection is there under the seat it might be for heated seats but you would have to get the climate control out of a ses with leather for the switches. Make sure the covers you get are rated for side airbags. Katskinz are but cost $700 or so new. There are some others out there that swear theirs are too.
Realize that not all of the material will be leather if going aftermarket. Only the front seat backs and bottoms usually. The rest is vinyl. Back seat is vinyl too.
if you plan on pulling the seats outta the car thurn the key to the on position and undo the battery. Wait 15mins for the system to de energize then you should be safe to undo the airbag harness at the base of the seat. Pealing the old off and reinstalling is a breeze. There are some bits of velcro thathold the leather to the cushion and some metal loops. Reinstall the seat amd plug the bag back in. With the key still on reconnect the battery. If the bag detonates you will be well clear of it instead of you sitting down amd trying to start the car. I have done seat swaps many times and have never had an issue. This is the industry standard for dealing with bags. Better safe than sorry.
leather is a great upgrade and you will get your money out of it at time of sale. Simple to clrean, doesnt stan or smell, holds up to wear and pets. But adding heated is a must. There are many after market kits. You just have to run some wires to the fuse block and add a switch. At least with aftermarket there are multiple heat settings whereas with ford just one-on.
Ha ha sorry, I should have said I am pulling these straight out of a 2010 SES. I am not getting leather seat covers.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Budderybunz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107821
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Budderybunz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I HATE leather seats. I have no idea why anyone likes them. They get hot as hell in the summer, cold as hell in the winter. They wear and crack over time and end up looking terrible...

/end rant
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
trevor_shiggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 67337
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 2 trevor_shiggs Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budderybunz View Post
I HATE leather seats. I have no idea why anyone likes them. They get hot as hell in the summer, cold as hell in the winter. They wear and crack over time and end up looking terrible...

/end rant
I find leather is way easier to clean, ever clean spilt coffee off leather? Just simply wipe it up, where as with cloth you may have to steam clean etc to get it out. My girlfriends 09 focus with cloth seats has already started to wear through the seat cover as where my leather ones only show slight wrinkles from how I sit. For the cold, I have heated seats not a big issue for me I usually wear pants in the winter. To each their own.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
trevor_shiggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 67337
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 2 trevor_shiggs Good Standing Member
I would check fuses 18 and 43 in the SJB to see if there are 2 pins where the fuses go or just 1. If there is only 1 It would mean alot more work and that the vehicle is not wired for heated seats.

Pins 33, 22, 27, and 16 on the drivers side seat connector are for the Heated seats,
Pins 23,14, 22, and 16 on the passenger side are for the heated seats.

I would start by checking to make sure the pins are present on the vehicle side of the connectors.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_shiggs View Post
I would check fuses 18 and 43 in the SJB to see if there are 2 pins where the fuses go or just 1. If there is only 1 It would mean alot more work and that the vehicle is not wired for heated seats.

Pins 33, 22, 27, and 16 on the drivers side seat connector are for the Heated seats,
Pins 23,14, 22, and 16 on the passenger side are for the heated seats.

I would start by checking to make sure the pins are present on the vehicle side of the connectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_shiggs View Post
I find leather is way easier to clean, ever clean spilt coffee off leather? Just simply wipe it up, where as with cloth you may have to steam clean etc to get it out. My girlfriends 09 focus with cloth seats has already started to wear through the seat cover as where my leather ones only show slight wrinkles from how I sit. For the cold, I have heated seats not a big issue for me I usually wear pants in the winter. To each their own.
Well said good sir, I applaud you.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
01lariatcrew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99203
What I Drive: 2010 Blue Flame SES Sedan #063

FF Reputation: 2 01lariatcrew Good Standing Member
Both 2010 SES sedans that I have (sold the silver one) came with cloth from the factory. I have installed heated leather in both of them and it has worked just fine. The connector under the seat has everything I needed to make it wok.

In other words... I went to a salvage yard that I found online at www.car-part.com, purchased leather interior for $300 and a new HVAC control unit (with heated seat buttons). Pulled the cloth interior out, put the leather interior in, reset the occupant classification sensor, installed the different HVAC control unit and the heated seats worked just like if it was equipped with it.

I never replaced any fuses or touched any wiring. The cloth front seats make great basement furniture lol. IMO, the black leather with the white contrast stitching looks great. I have pictures of the leather installed, but to be honest, just look at one that came with leather and you will know what it looks like.

The door panels are also different if equipped with leather. I have not switched my door panels yet as no one that I know knows there was a difference ;) and I didn't want to spend the money. If you want to know more just ask.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

How do you reset the occupant classification sensor (not sure what that is)?

I should be able to get the HVAC out of the donor car right?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The seats are exactly the same as far as padding/shape go. the HVAC controller is plug-n-play and the harnesses under the seats are also plug-n-play

I would not recommend it unless you just really want the heated seats. The leather is cheap and does not breathe. You'll end up with swamp-ass more often than not and the leather will stretch and wrinkle within months.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks