New Owner, 37 Hours, Sync/Voice/Touch Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Owner, 37 Hours, Sync/Voice/Touch Questions

I drove off the lot about 38 hours ago: - Newby Alert

2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback, Sony, MFT and Voice Recognition

The posts in this forum scare me concerning Sync, MFT and Voice.
I have looked through the threads for about 4 hours now and it seems like the entire system is broken! There appears to be no phone that works on everything, even the compatibility list does not show a single one!
Having said that, my ancient Moto Razr on T-Mobile Pay as you Go does connect and it works for voice calls (Testing tomorrow for Vehicle Health Report) and if that works I will be minimally satisfied.

I haven't seen much about the 2013 models but I can say that I currently have version 3.34.4 (If I am looking in the right place) and the Sync sites say that an update is available (I have a USB drive coming tomorrow)
One thing I did notice is that on remote start the MFT screen does not start until I press the start button which is something I saw in another thread (maybe this one, who knows, I was all over)

I have searched the Sync sites for hours, the dearth of information is stupefying.

Now, The Newby questions you are all dreading -

Where is the technical information on Sync, MFT and VR

Depending on which site I look at, I have an update to MFT and Sync available, are they the same or different updates?
Is there anything I should explicitly know before starting the update(s) from a USB drive which arrives Sat?

I read in the manual that it, I don't remember what, has a hard drive, size not specified nor its purpose considering that pulling the "NAV" chip from the only available slot means that I have no more NAV, which means that I do not actually have a slot available so what is the HD doing if it is not loading the card information?

What is the difference between MFT, Voice Recognition and Sync, do they share Computers, Control Modules or just Fords way of explaining the workings to the non-techy literate? Is there a techy site that explains what is actually installed and how it works in theory as a system?

What is "Sync" Really? Limited information on the web sites SyncMyRide and the Ford Sync site(s) tells me nothing except consumer hype about what it can do - which this forum proves it does not wholly accomplish.

Why all the problems with Bluetooth connectivity? Are there proprietary protocols that are causing the issues concerning what firmware version is installed on the hundreds of phones out there? Why does no single phone listed in the compatibility list actually work with all the bullet points shown?

Not a question but I plugged my phone into the USB port this morning and the MFT display said that the connection was not supported, I clicked ok since I didn't care about connectivity seeing as how I wanted it to supply power and not transfer info. The dammed thing locked up all audio with weird screen displays combining Sirius and FM channel info which, from this site I have come to expect, I stopped the car and shut down, no go, I had to open a door to get it to shut off (What do you guys call that, a soft boot/reset?) after that all was well (I had already removed the phones USB connection)

I am sure that I will have more questions and I promise to read a great deal more than the 4 hours I have already spent on this site but the brandy is kicking in and it is to your benefit that end here...

Did I mention that I found out tonight on the way home from work that "S" is not for standard/manual shifting but for Sport mode? I have no idea what they mean by "manual" since the dammed thing shifts on its own and there is no explanation in the manual as to how you are actually supposed to use the so called manual mode. Not that it matters, the only way to drive the car for anyone who likes to drive is in Sport mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,070, Level 40
Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40 Points: 4,070, Level: 40
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
I'll answer a few.

1) Sync is the basic infotainment system that includes voice recognition. MyFord Touch expands the capability of Sync by adding a touchscreen and some additional features.
There is one piece of hardware (with one processor) that runs all of the software.

2) There is no hard drive. All software runs from flash memory.

3) Many phones have their own "quirks" with their Bluetooth implementation. However, many people are happy with the phone's compatibility with MFT.

4) Regarding manual mode, check the owner's manual for information about the rocker switch on the side of the shifter.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Wow, did you do no research at all before buying your car? Your lack of basic knowledge on the subject seems stupifying.

I'll answer your transmission question. It's an automated manual. It has twin clutches that the computer shifts for you for maximum efficiency. Sometimes the computer messes up, but generally it's pretty good at shifting. There is no idle speed in the traditional sense, it's a simulated computer applied throttle to make your car move gently forward. It even rolled back when you came to a slight incline at a red light until Ford issued a software patch to stop that. You have 6 forward gears in D for efficiency. 5 in sport mode and hitting the + or - during driving in S will let you drive it manually and change gears yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile HD
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
Your phone is ancient. You're lucky that Bluetooth voice calls work at all. When you plug your phone into the usb port, it could scan your phone for songs. But of course, a ancient phone like that wouldn't have that functionality.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

Points 522, Level 10
Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
Your phone is ancient. You're lucky that Bluetooth voice calls work at all. When you plug your phone into the usb port, it could scan your phone for songs. But of course, a ancient phone like that wouldn't have that functionality.

Nice..........
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I will answer some questions as well for you.

I recently updated my MFT from 3.0.2 to 3.5.1 and it took about 40 min to complete, you have to keep the car running during the time it is installing. Keep that in mind when you are about to perform that, you will have to schedule your day or your destination for that. If you don't want to do it, you can always take it to the dealership so that they can do it for you.

The phones and bluetooth issues that you have seen are from a group of people and does not represent everyone else's experience with MFT and bluetooth. I have a Galaxy Nexus and though it is not supported, it works extremely well. No disconnect issues, no voice calling issues, all works great. I am using Rdio, but thanks to this site, I am switching to Slacker Radio to stream my music via bluetooth. From day one all features work, no glitches and no problems using voice to navigate MFT.

When connecting your phone via USB to the car, check to see if you have it in Debug mode, your phone (depending on the software version) can go into music mode, picture mode or debugging mode. Check your settings and see what it is set to.

Your car should have come with the manual on how to use Sync and MFT, the salesperson should have walked your through setting up your phone, downloading your contacts and walking you through some steps on how to use the system. If they didn't you should go back and ask them to show you how to use the features.

Good luck, you will love all of the features sync/mft provides, especially in comparison to the other crap systems in other manufacturers. Eg Honda, Land Rover etc.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I'll answer a few.

1) Sync is the basic infotainment system that includes voice recognition. MyFord Touch expands the capability of Sync by adding a touchscreen and some additional features.
There is one piece of hardware (with one processor) that runs all of the software.

2) There is no hard drive. All software runs from flash memory.

3) Many phones have their own "quirks" with their Bluetooth implementation. However, many people are happy with the phone's compatibility with MFT.

4) Regarding manual mode, check the owner's manual for information about the rocker switch on the side of the shifter.
Thanks for the info, the USB drive has arrived and I now begin the path of Ford Focus upgrade with at least some knowledge of the underlying hardware.
I read the owners manual at work the first night and rechecked the trans info again last night. I think that Sport mode is going to be my daily driving selection, I was just surprised that it shifted at all - I was expecting it to not shift on its own until a button was pressed, I am happy with its operation.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

[QUOTE=blackraven456;4616305]Wow, did you do no research at all before buying your car? Your lack of basic knowledge on the subject seems stupifying.

Yeah, that's me...

I did a great deal of research but not on Sync, MFT or the rest. I did it on the "car", you know, handling, reviews, reliability. The wife's opinion - It's cute, honey it talks, I like the seats my ass fits. That sort of thing.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,733, Level 66
Points: 9,733, Level: 66 Points: 9,733, Level: 66 Points: 9,733, Level: 66
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
Thanks for the info, the USB drive has arrived and I now begin the path of Ford Focus upgrade with at least some knowledge of the underlying hardware.
I read the owners manual at work the first night and rechecked the trans info again last night. I think that Sport mode is going to be my daily driving selection, I was just surprised that it shifted at all - I was expecting it to not shift on its own until a button was pressed, I am happy with its operation.
If you don't touch the rocker switch on the gear selector S is just sport automatic, but it locks out 6th gear. So in other words if you're going faster than 40 mph or so you will be getting poorer fuel economy than if you had either manually shifted into 6th or had put the car back into drive.

If you press the button and shift manually into 6th or through any of the other gears you can return to drive and then back to sport to return to sport automatic mode at any time.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
After chipping the surrounding rock from my fossil I find that since it works for what I need and does not cost $50.00 to $200.00 a month to own then a little care and feeding of the electro juice from a separate, non USB, supply will not harm me. I would like to get a phone that can serve music and a phone book so that I can make calls easier but I am at a lose as to what phone will actually work with the system and not cost more than the comprehensive insurance I am paying now. More reading on this site will probably enlighten me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.