Focus Ti In Snow... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
liquidblue88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109694
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black 5dr Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 liquidblue88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Focus Ti In Snow...

Man oh man did I make a mistake.

I didn't fully inspect all of the options that came on this vehicle. I sure did realize real fast that the car is equipped with 'summer only' 18" tires. Boy do these things suck in the snow... either that or the car doesn't do well in the snow at all.

Last night on my way home the drive was fine since most of the streets were plowed. But I get on my street in front of my house and i see that the driveway is covered in snow and that I will need a head start to make it up there. So i put the car in reverse and decide to give it some gas so I can make it up there. Upon doing so my tires start to lose traction at about 5-10 mph. Barely any speed at all. I tried turning off the TCS which didn't help at all. I just lost traction and then got to spin my tires.

How many of you have the Ti and also live in a place where the snow can be pretty bad? In my opinion this snow storm wasn't even that bad. Only about 4-6 inches and my little focus was failing me.

What winter tires/all season tires do you guys recommend? I might try to stick out this winter but I will need to get different tires for next season.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,832, Level 32
Points: 2,832, Level: 32 Points: 2,832, Level: 32 Points: 2,832, Level: 32
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Oh, dear God. I bought winter tires (and knew I'd need them) before winter came in 2011. I recommend a winter LRR 15" tire because they're cheap (195/65R15). I bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's via ebay, but they weren't cheap. I would recommend Michelin ice Xi2/3 or something more affordable. Tirerack.com is your friend - you can also get rims (or steelies) and preview what they would look like on your car!

EDIT: Great, Nokian just released an "R2" - must... resist... (Don't worry - I'm not about to drop another couple hundred dollars on snow tires for the next like... 2 years)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidblue88 View Post

I didn't fully inspect all of the options that came on this vehicle. I sure did realize real fast that the car is equipped with 'summer only' 18" tires. Boy do these things suck in the snow... either that or the car doesn't do well in the snow at all.

Last night on my way home the drive was fine since most of the streets were plowed. But I get on my street in front of my house and i see that the driveway is covered in snow and that I will need a head start to make it up there. So i put the car in reverse and decide to give it some gas so I can make it up there. Upon doing so my tires start to lose traction at about 5-10 mph. Barely any speed at all. I tried turning off the TCS which didn't help at all. I just lost traction and then got to spin my tires.

How many of you have the Ti and also live in a place where the snow can be pretty bad? In my opinion this snow storm wasn't even that bad. Only about 4-6 inches and my little focus was failing me.

What winter tires/all season tires do you guys recommend? I might try to stick out this winter but I will need to get different tires for next season.

Thanks all!
Although i do know winter specific tires are the best way to go, and tho i've used winter tires on all previous cars, i didn't want to go that route w/ my '12 focus w/ 17" wheels (for a variety of reasons). So.... i shod the car w/ conti DWS tires and have not been disappointed... I live where it can snow ALOT one day and rain the next and these tires have been great... I leave them on year round.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I might try to stick out this winter but I will need to get different tires for next season.

Thanks all!
I wouldn't. Those things are miserable in the snow. I have a set of Blizzaks and they are fine (really appreciated them this morning driving through 2-3 inches of utter sloppy slush).
Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,319, Level 72
Points: 12,319, Level: 72 Points: 12,319, Level: 72 Points: 12,319, Level: 72
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I have a Ti with the handling package which includes those tires.
The summer tires would be hard as balls and useless to grip in snow.

i went the cheapy route and bought 15" steelies and winter tires.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,210, Level 28
Points: 2,210, Level: 28 Points: 2,210, Level: 28 Points: 2,210, Level: 28
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you have the room to store them, having a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires is the way to go. It might cost more initially, but you get back most of the investment by keeping the mileage off of your summer tires, meaning you won't have to buy summers as frequently. Plus you'll be kicking yourself when you try to pull 0.9g+ on all-seasons in the summer.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I got Hankook winter tires (215/50s) and the wheels for $1000 at Discount Tire but there's cheaper routes to go.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
JasDmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105501
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti Hatch Sterling Grey

Points 177, Level 3
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JasDmw Good Standing Member
Quote:

Thanks all!
I boought my TI last November when Ford was throwing in a set of winters on steelies. Opted to upgrade to Michelin X-ice. Nice tires, no issues in snow but then there hasn't been a great deal of it here thus far. Have them on the other car as well, which also came with factory summer only type tires. I suggest winters as not only do they make a differnce in snow, but once summer tires get below about 7 C or 5 F (or so), the compound just doesn't work well anymore; traction drops resulting in longer stopping distnaces, cornering issues, etc. I have the 18's and am looking forward to driving on them this spring.

I recommend Michelin as they stand behind their product. The tires on the other car would have been 4 seasons old this winter. When I had them installed, one would not balance; belt had slipped. Michelin replaced all 4 at 20% of the retail price. So I drove 3 winters and got a brand new set for just over $300.00 out the door. And I sent in the mail in rebate, which arrived yesterday. Not bad!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Hiwayracer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109808
What I Drive: Focus 2013 SE Hatch

Points 142, Level 2
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Hiwayracer Good Standing Member
I live in Michigan and it was one of the first questions I asked - I was told they come with all season.

I have not had any issues driving in the snow yet - including last nights 6 inches.

Mine is the 2013 SE
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
I don't have the 18's but I do have a Ti and it was terrible in any slippery conditions with the 17's.

In January 2013 I got some Michelin x-ice i3's and I'd highly recommend them. They grip really well, excellent lateral grip, and I believe they have a 60,000km treadwear guarantee. They're also a bit quieter than my factory 17's.

Good luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks