What is the best Tire?? Summer or All Season - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
caringman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59465
What I Drive: 2000 Copper, Ford Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 caringman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What is the best Tire?? Summer or All Season

Hi! How are You? Me fine. We have a Ford Focus 2000 SE four doors sedan and when We went this past November to put snow tires for the Winter season, the Mechanics told Us the Summer tires We had were kaput, so now We have started to shop for Summer tires. The Focus We have has 212 000km on it, that means in miles it is 132 000 miles rounded, it is rather an old car, so what is the best kind of tires We should buy Summer or All Seasons, because We already have Winter tires, what is the best type of tires(195 60 15 size) for a car of that age and mileage and what Make do You suggest, We do not want to pay for expensive tires, lets say in Canadian dollars, around 100$ a tire no more than that and if it is less it is alright by all means, and what should We look for in a tire for a car of that age? Please help Us to make a wise purchase, maybe it is going to be the last Summer tires for that car, We never know, with that kind of mileage in very long Winter months and cold too, the wears and tears are there.
Thank You for Your Attention and Collaboration.
Take good care and be safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
You should have no problems staying under $100 a tire in the 15" size. Although, I doubt you will find many (if any)summer performance only tires in that size.

check out tire rack for some ideas, reviews and a ballpark on prices.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...60&diameter=15

Any of the top rated tires in this size should be solid choices. An all season should treat you better if you do see any bad weather before you swap to winter tires again too.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Depends on what you want the tires to do for you.

Excellent wet and dry performance but no snow or ice traction, go with a high performance or summer tire. You may have trouble finding a high performance tire in a 15" size though. Its best to get a bigger rim and your options greatly increase. Personally I love my 215/25R17 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 tires on 17" rims (obviously). They are amazing on wet or dry pavement but don't do squat in the snow since the rubber is so hard and they have no siping. Another good high performance tire is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 or the Potenza RE760 Sport but they don't make them in 15" sizes.

Even traction all around get an all-season tire. I also have a set of all-season tires besides my summer and winter tires (don't ask I have an obsession with tires). I am running the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 in a 215/50R16. Not only do they have good wet, dry, and snow/ice traction they are also a low rolling-resistance tire so they help improve gas mileage. Another good all-season is the Firestone Affinity Touring. These should be around the $100 range.

If you want the best of both worlds Bridgestone makes the Potenza RE970AS. It is a high performance all season tire.

Just a couple of recommendations based on experience. Sorry they are all Bridgestone/Firestone but that's all I put on my cars. I have never been unsatisfied with any of their tires. They are a bit more expensive than other brands but I believe that they are worth it for the quality and warranty.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
On a side note: Only 2 posts since joining in 2008? LOL

Dont waste your money on summer tires. They are for cars with lots more performance potential than the average focus. 15" all-seasons and your done! Your welcome.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
caringman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59465
What I Drive: 2000 Copper, Ford Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 caringman Good Standing Member
Thank You Rambleon84 and Dodgeguy and bile0026 for Your speedy reply, it is very appreciated, yes dodgeguy only two posts since 2008, because I am not a big forum Guy and Social Media Guy, I prefer the old fashion way to meet People in Person and over the phone. I am sorry about that though. Ok I will consider all Your suggestions and will let You all know if I need anymore help, but if there is some who wants to let Their suggestions here for me They can do so and will read all of Them and decide what We will do. I am asking questions about Summer tires but where I live in Edmundston, New Brunswick Canada, 50 miles North of Presque Isle Maine, I went to pass the snow blower and shovel two times today, it is still falling and We received close to 10 inches of snow.
Thanks again and take care.

Last edited by caringman; 03-20-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caringman View Post
Thank You Rambleon84 and Dodgeguy and bile0026 for Your speedy reply, it is very appreciated, yes dodgeguy only two posts since 2008, because I am not a big forum Guy and Social Media Guy, I prefer the old fashion way to meet People in Person and over the phone. I am sorry about that though. Ok I will consider all Your suggestions and will let You all know if I need anymore help, but if there is some who wants to let Their suggestions here for me They can do so and will read all of Them and decide what We will do. I am asking questions about Summer tires but where I live in Edmundston, New Brunswick Canada, 50 miles North of Presque Isle Maine, I went to pass the snow blower and shovel two times today, it is still falling and We received close to 10 inches of snow.
Thanks again and take care.
sounds like Fargo, ND! i run all seasons, but they will become my winter tires, as i have all season tires with a very summerish tread pattern waiting on 16's until the snow stops.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks