Loss in power - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 103950
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray hatch W/Blk pack

FF Reputation: 4 Drew'sFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Loss in power

I have just installed the Steeda intake in which I got used from a friend! The perkiness of the engine has seem to vanish. I'm at 23,000 miles BTW! It had 30,000 miles on the filter in which he cleaned regularly! Also, I cleaned my engine bay with a rag and and simple green could I have messed up any electricals or can the oil off of the filter be getting on the MAF?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
I wouldn't think they are that sensitive to a little moisture. May have to remove the Steeda intake to see if that's the issue.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Are you mainly talking about low (sub 3k) rpm driving? There is definitely a substantial change in that area of the powerband. I am going back to my OEM box with K&N drop-in for daily-duties and will only be using my Steeda for shows. The Steeda offers more on the top-end, but most of the time I'm nowhere near there.

Edit: I don't think that anything you've done would be the 'cause' if you're talking about the low-rpm area is what I was trying to say.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Are you mainly talking about low (sub 3k) rpm driving? There is definitely a substantial change in that area of the powerband. I am going back to my OEM box with K&N drop-in for daily-duties and will only be using my Steeda for shows. The Steeda offers more on the top-end, but most of the time I'm nowhere near there.

Edit: I don't think that anything you've done would be the 'cause' if you're talking about the low-rpm area is what I was trying to say.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah sub 3k is atrocious! I guess I just wasn't thinking I don't even like to have my A/C on conning from a stop at red lights! I knew cleaning the bay didn't cause the issue! Just put that out their for good measure. I'm just going to have to get used to the difference between this and the K&N drop in I had in the stock box!

I was also thinking of tinkering with the Steeda and drilling a hole in the bottom of the heat shield for the piping that comes up.

One more thing. When I took the Steeda out to clean the whole intake shield I looked in the rubber connector and saw a little bit of black build up. Around the throttle body plate.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah sub 3k is atrocious! I guess I just wasn't thinking I don't even like to have my A/C on conning from a stop at red lights! I knew cleaning the bay didn't cause the issue! Just put that out their for good measure. I'm just going to have to get used to the difference between this and the K&N drop in I had in the stock box!

I was also thinking of tinkering with the Steeda and drilling a hole in the bottom of the heat shield for the piping that comes up.
Yeah, I felt the same way with both the Typhoon and the Steeda for sub 3k. I really like the design of both and the sound of the Steeda, but for daily in-town driving I have yet to find something better than the drop-in.

Drilling a hole for the piping to come up-as in for doing the Newmission Mod to it? I'm not overly sure on how well that would work on an open-element. While driving the higher-velocity air would theoretically be blowing directly onto the filter and right in front of the MAF sensor. I can't imagine that turbulence being beneficial. Maybe if you fabbed a deflector to direct the air to the sides of the box as opposed to straight onto the filter...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Yeah, I felt the same way with both the Typhoon and the Steeda for sub 3k. I really like the design of both and the sound of the Steeda, but for daily in-town driving I have yet to find something better than the drop-in.

Drilling a hole for the piping to come up-as in for doing the Newmission Mod to it? I'm not overly sure on how well that would work on an open-element. While driving the higher-velocity air would theoretically be blowing directly onto the filter and right in front of the MAF sensor. I can't imagine that turbulence being beneficial. Maybe if you fabbed a deflector to direct the air to the sides of the box as opposed to straight onto the filter...
I love that Steeda took the time to design a proper air filter with that level of technology regarding airflow but I'm just wondering how much the rubber connector hose ruins all of that great design! I'd love to see a solid smooth piece of tubing with silicone connectors to negate engine movement. The ribbing in the stock connector looks "un-aerodynamic!" Lol
Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Steeda has already shown that the rubber hose from the MAF housing to the throttle body has not been an issue in terms of getting more power out of the car. At least not to the point where it was necessary or worth the additional cost v.s. using the stock piping.

I did not notice any loss in performance or pep in the lower end of the rev range when I had the Steeda intake installed before I got rid of the intake and the car.

It didn't seem more powerful at that point from low down in the rev range, but it was not really slower either, and the fuel economy was essentially unchanged even with the 2.5" Exhaust from an ST at the same time. The intake did mellow out the exhaust note though and together it sounded amazing. Near stock quiet when just cruising, but get on it, such as at the track and it sounded deeper and meaner than the stock ST would due to the turbo muffling the exhaust note under normal conditions.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
BaseBlack2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92645
What I Drive: 2012 focus base black

FF Reputation: 1 BaseBlack2012 Good Standing Member
I put the FSWerks CAI on mine and lost a lot of low end. To make it worse I removed the lunchbox and straight piped it. The low end after those two is horrible but above 5k has a lot more power. Most of my driving is highway anyway so it doesn't bother me. When I hit 3rd (shit and get) gear on the highway I hit the power band and I'm gone.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->