So you want to get LED bulbs? Read First. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Justinr666
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96239
What I Drive: 2008 Ice Blue S

FF Reputation: 2 Justinr666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So you want to get LED bulbs? Read First.

So, yesterday I went out and bought two Red 3157 LED bulbs for my tail lights. The place i went to carried Eurolite bulbs, so i picked some up, they are 20 LED's, figured thatd be bright enough. I got them home, super excited to get them installed, pulled my light out, removed the old bulb(saved it just in case) turned my lights on, check to see which way the bulbs works.. got it to work(looks great BTW, very bright) pushed the bulb into the socket.

I was almost there i saw the end, only took 2 mins to do this... went to put the socket back into the housing only to see that the bulb was too damn big to fit!!! i almost lost it... the bulb fits through the hole by its self just fine, but with it in the socket it wont go inside.. too much of an angle because of the bump-out for the reverse light.

So, I really didnt want to take the bulbs back.. i was determined to get it in some how. The answer you may ask? Well, first i removed the bulb from the socket(first marking on the bulb and socket which way to line them up) i then put the bulb inside the hole in the housing.. making sure there was enough popping out to keep a good grip.

Then with the socket free and not attached to the harness, i carefully pushed it onto the bulb.. making sure it was secure enough to keep the bulb in... i took a pair of needle nose pliers, grabbed part of the circuit board, and held the bulb securely until it clicked into place. So, a job that should of taken 5-10mins total took about 20 mins per light Don't get me wrong, they look great and they are bright... but should they die on me, im going back to stock bulbs...

IMO its not worth the hassle again.. To anyone thinking about upgrading the 3157 bulbs.. try to get no more then 20 LEDS... i fear any more and you will never get the bulb in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I dont understand why people even bother with LED BULBS for the tails.

They make LED tail lights which look better and are much brighter.

I run 100 LED bulbs in my truck just because they don't make LED lights for them.
A lot of mods.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Justinr666
Focus Enthusiast

honestly man, for $16 i got two bulbs, a year warranty, and a store to do an actual return at... that said... never again will i buy those bulbs
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Warranty is nice. The ones I had didn't have fitment issues, but they were way to dim to be adequate brake lights, so I just went back to stock at that time. Another issue that I wasn't fond of, was that it didn't reflect within the housings too well either, so maybe that was the issue with the dimness. They were, I believe, 20 smled lights that fired in 360 plus forward.

But there are just so many options for LED replacement bulbs, it's darn near impossible to find ones that are perfect replacements.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
they dont make led's for older f150's?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Justinr666
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
Warranty is nice. The ones I had didn't have fitment issues, but they were way to dim to be adequate brake lights, so I just went back to stock at that time. Another issue that I wasn't fond of, was that it didn't reflect within the housings too well either, so maybe that was the issue with the dimness. They were, I believe, 20 smled lights that fired in 360 plus forward.

But there are just so many options for LED replacement bulbs, it's darn near impossible to find ones that are perfect replacements.
i have the 360 plus forward, well in the second gen its 360 plus top... which is why you probably didnt have fitment issues... mine are very bright.. tho they sped up my flasher speed... not just in the rear but in the front too.. aswell as the indicators in the dash... both visual and sound.. weird
Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazz2010focus View Post
they dont make led's for older f150's?
They make LED BULBS for anything but no, no actual LED products. We have been working with manufactures for years to try and get LED tail lights but gave up after a while.

Every bulb on the truck has been converted to LED.
A lot of mods.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->