Chinese Authorities Force VW To Recall DSG Transmission - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Chinese Authorities Force VW To Recall DSG Transmission

The manufacturer made the statement after receiving a notice from the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ). According to the notice, AQSIQ would actively issue its own recall order if VW refused to take action.

It has taken the manufacturer over a year to issue a recall order for its DSG transmission-powered VW and Skoda models sold in China.

Ever since the problems first begin appearing, VW constantly denied that there was any such safety risk with the DSG gearboxes. While it would go on to supply software upgrades via its dealership network and extend warranties of DSG-equipped models, it constantly refrained from ordering a vehicle recall.

The manufacturer previously issued a recall of DSG-gearbox equipped VWs in the US in 2009.
source http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china-new...a-130318.shtml

On Friday, a CCTV program on consumer rights stated that malfunctions in the DSG transmissions could cause a sudden loss or gain in engine power, which can pose safety hazards.
AQSIQ has been investigating the company's DSG transmissions since last March. In May, Volkswagen extended its DSG quality guarantee period in China to ten years under pressure from the administration, Zhang said.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._132238197.htm

This is going to be a big one for VW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ouch!
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Now you know why Ford/Getrag is developing new wet clutch 6DCT150 aimed at Asia.
Dry clutch not working out in China
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
What exactly are they going to fix in a recall program? You'd think if it was reasonably solvable they would've done it by now, a la our software updates and clutch pack replacements.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
What exactly are they going to fix in a recall program? You'd think if it was reasonably solvable they would've done it by now...
Ford "fixed" the DCT firmware several times. VW may need to do the same.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

It is a mess for VW for sure, but they are a clever company, they will figure some magical way to squirm out..maybe.
With China working on setting the tone that they will protect consumers, it ain't going to be easy for VW to do the usual quick band aid solution.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
They paid for all the 2008 and 2009 DSG Mechatronic units to be replaced in the US. I had two DSG equipped vehicles at the time, and my cost for the replacement of both would have been around $6000.

The US transmissions were made in Europe. VW has tried to ramp up DSG production in China, and they haven't done well with QC. Thier Chinese suppliers haven't done a great job.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
They paid for all the 2008 and 2009 DSG Mechatronic units to be replaced in the US. I had two DSG equipped vehicles at the time, and my cost for the replacement of both would have been around $6000.

The US transmissions were made in Europe. VW has tried to ramp up DSG production in China, and they haven't done well with QC. Thier Chinese suppliers haven't done a great job.
What is the excuse for the A3 imports to China or VW brand vehicles sold in China prior to 2010, which are part of the recall?
One other note, is that some of the recalled VW brand cars involved came off the assembly line between December 2008 and early this month.
I believe VW began production of their DQ200 (dry clutch DSG) in Dalina, China , January 2010
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
How ironic. Chinese government calling for better quality control from a German manufacturer.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
What is the excuse for the A3 imports to China or VW brand vehicles sold in China prior to 2010, which are part of the recall?
One other note, is that some of the recalled VW brand cars involved came off the assembly line between December 2008 and early this month.
I believe VW began production of their DQ200 (dry clutch DSG) in Dalina, China , January 2010
You are right, its a almost 385,000 unit recall for all of certain engine-DSG (1.4T dry clutch?) combinations in vehicles. Most are FAW or Shanghai-VW vehicles, but some are imports. Some of the transmissions are from the Kassel plant and some are from Dalian. Its going to cost them at least $500 million. I find it strange that they are not recalling more vehicles. The Dalian plant alone, can make 600000 transmissions a year.

Bookmarks & Social Networks