Focus ST break in - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77951
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 NotAnSES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus ST break in

Great news! Our Focus ST will arrive to Germany in less than 2 months! I will return home from deployment in about 3 months, so it should be there when I got home. I'm very excited. My wife will be there to pick it up, and will be the driver for its first miles My question is, how many miles until the engine/turbo are "broken in?" I told my wife not to beat on the car too much. But after how many miles should she be able to put the pedal down and have some fun on the autobahn? If anyone knows the answer to this obscure question please let me know. Thank you!

ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2007 Honda Civic Si----Sold.. :(
1995 BMW 316i Beater for Germany
2013 Focus ST!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Fan#: 45759
What I Drive: 13 Tangerine Scream ST2,12 RAM 2500

Points 95,704, Level 100
Points: 95,704, Level: 100 Points: 95,704, Level: 100 Points: 95,704, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 21 gonefhsn Great Standing Member
For the first 500 miles vary the speed after that fly down autobahn 3 or which ever is closest to you lol
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105907
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue ST3

FF Reputation: 2 aernan Good Standing Member
I talked with the dealer and the boards about this one. What I found out is that driving hard in short sprints is fine and helps the rings seat. Mostly everything else wears in slowly during the first 5k miles or so.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Matasickle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77627
What I Drive: MK3 SGM SE

FF Reputation: 2 Matasickle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I know this is about the ST but I also just purchased a Focus with 2 miles on it.
How should I treat her?
Should I vary revs between shifts, vary speeds, etc?

This is my first time owning a brand new car..
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105907
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue ST3

FF Reputation: 2 aernan Good Standing Member
the dealer said. don't drive at the same speed for a long time. Then I asked what is a long time. They said more then an hour. I guess these modern engines actually go through a factory break in. Then they drive them around the factory a bit to get them loaded on boats or trains or whatever to get them to the dealers. Then the dealer drives them around the lot a bit. They spend a long time idling followed by someone driving the car fast then more idling. I have also heard that modern engines are manufactured to very high tolerances and most components wear very little.

I don't know I've never built or rebuilt an engine so I have to go on recommendations. I have owned piles of high milage vehicles and this is my first new car ever. What kills high milage vehicles for me is blown head gasket (saab 9000) or dirty oil galleries (Mercedes Diesel 300 TD Wagon). I'm pretty sure the power plants in modern cars will outlive the rest of the vehicle. (transmission, differentials, body dents and damage, interior)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
According to the owner's manual (including the ST supplement), no break-in period is required.

I find it hard to break old habits, so despite the manual, for the first 1000 miles, I do the normal break-in thing:
- vary the RPM (not necessarily "speed"; if you're on the highway, move between upper gears occasionally to vary RPM even if you're stuck at 65 mph)
- avoid high RPM at first (hard as that is with an ST :)) and only gradually increase the upper bound
- make sure the engine sees at least some instances of high pressure (open throttle in a higher gear will do this without necessarily causing a lot of acceleration, RPM, or speed)
- make sure to decelerate under vacuum as well (leave the car in gear and take your foot off the gas when approaching a stop, etc).

Change the oil and filter after 1000 miles.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Matasickle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77627
What I Drive: MK3 SGM SE

FF Reputation: 2 Matasickle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
According to the owner's manual (including the ST supplement), no break-in period is required.

I find it hard to break old habits, so despite the manual, for the first 1000 miles, I do the normal break-in thing:
- vary the RPM (not necessarily "speed"; if you're on the highway, move between upper gears occasionally to vary RPM even if you're stuck at 65 mph)
- avoid high RPM at first (hard as that is with an ST :)) and only gradually increase the upper bound
- make sure the engine sees at least some instances of high pressure (open throttle in a higher gear will do this without necessarily causing a lot of acceleration, RPM, or speed)
- make sure to decelerate under vacuum as well (leave the car in gear and take your foot off the gas when approaching a stop, etc).

That was very informative.
I thank you, sir.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77951
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 NotAnSES Good Standing Member
Thank you all for the good responses! I cant wait for this ST to arrive! I cant wait to get out of this sh**hole country I'm in.
ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2007 Honda Civic Si----Sold.. :(
1995 BMW 316i Beater for Germany
2013 Focus ST!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Points 95,704, Level 100
Points: 95,704, Level: 100 Points: 95,704, Level: 100 Points: 95,704, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
You are the first person I have ever heard that did not like Germany.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Points 95,704, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post

Straight from the ST supplement

Quote:
BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1000 miles (1600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.