if you could do it over would you get stick instead? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: do you wish you had gotten a stick instead of the DCT?
heck yeah. i hate the DCT 17 37.78%
no way. love the DCT. sticks are for kids 28 62.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #61
Chefocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100478
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Chefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sure they will. If I put my transmission in Sport mode and keep the pedal down, it will run all the way up to redline before it shifts.

If I use the toggle switch on the side of the gear selector, I can even get it to down shift like a manual. Actually in Sport mode it will do some down shifting on its own.

But what do I know? I'm just a Big Gulp swilling, Big Mac chowing, lazy American who doesn't know how to drive.

Dictated but not read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #62
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

My favorite bit is the take off from stoplight and run it out to 6,500rpm or so in first.second .. autos will not do that..
And yeah I highjacked your thread.
The DCT will hold first all the way to 6500 rpm even in auto if you do a quick take off from a standing start, and possibly if you keep your foot in it keep pulling all the way through second or third racing for the redline. Now unless you were entering a freeway from a dead stop usually maxing out second gear is about as far as you can legally get on public streets from a dead stop.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #63
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
It comes from an interview I saw with one of the CEO's of I believe it was BMW (Could be wrong though), who said the only reason manuals in higher end cars even exist anymore is because of the North American market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
^^ And where would that be where "most" foreigners prefer DSGs and the like? I go to Europe nearly every year, and I'd wager that at least 80% of the cars are manuals (although it seems that it's closer to 95%).

Doesn't mean that "most" of them wouldn't "like" faster-shifting automatics as you say, but I'll stick with the observable facts for now, and bless that continent and its inhabitants for maintaining a driver's utopia.
This isn't what I was talking about, but it is related. Top end euro cars being sold in Europe just have no interest in manuals anymore.
http://www.germancarblog.com/2011/11...except-for-us/

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #64
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Page 20 of this document has EU stats up to 2010 which should give one an idea of automatic transmission equipped cars sold and which segments in Europe
http://www.theicct.org/sites/default...ithNotes-1.pdf
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #65
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Sticks are for kids??

AUTOMATICS are for kids. And lazy people. And wimps ("Waaa! I spend too much time in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day to drive stick. Waaa!"). And people who would rather be doing almost anything other than driving or being engaged therein (you know, like putting on makeup, cradling their Big Gulps and/or Big Macs, texting or blabbing with their cell phones plastered to their ear, NOT checking their mirrors or signaling, or camping out in the left lane and going the same speed as - or slower than - those in the right).

Oh, wait - that's it: Automatics are for AMERICANS.
There are many sports cars and exotics that have an automatic transmission.

Did Nissan put an automatic in the GT-R because they are selling it to lazy wimps?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #66
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
As they should be, sticks are very honestly just old technology now. I don't think it will be long before no cars offer them anymore.
Manual transmissions will be around for a long time (primarily in economy cars) because of their low cost.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #67
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
i don't know how to answer - i can't say that i hate my dct, and i don't believe that sticks are for kids. In a perfect world, i would drive the heck out of a manual: They are way more fun, cheaper to maintain, and it puts me in greater control, but the reality of my daily commute makes an auto a necessity.

If i ever were to buy a second vehicle, it would definitely be a manual.

So, to answer properly - i like my auto, but i will always prefer a manual.

Cheerio!

ditto!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #68
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
Figured i'd throw my opinion out on this. Some of you know I got in an accident recently and there is a potential chance my car it totalled. If it is I have already said that the next focus I get will be a manual for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the DCT. It was pretty good for an auto. I like that in Sport + mode if I shift up or down it shifts but it did have it's problems.

I guess with me I want a manual because that's how I want to drive my car. I just find it more fun so yes, if I could go back i'd get the 5 speed.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #69
Holden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90783
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Holden Good Standing Member
Quote:
It comes from an interview I saw with one of the CEO's of I believe it was BMW (Could be wrong though), who said the only reason manuals in higher end cars even exist anymore is because of the North American market.
Makes sense to me. In fact, I do recall that the M5 - gasp - is going to drop the manual altogether. The flip side, however, is that I'm pretty sure Porsche's primary motivation in developing the Tiptronic back in the day was to sell more cars in the USA… But, yeah, that was back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefocus View Post
You really think transmission choice gives you some sort of deep insight into the driving style and habits (not to mention nationality) of each driver? Laughable. And more than a little ignorant.
Ignorant? No, but admittedly a rather sweeping, knee-jerk generalization written in mock anger in response to the somewhat offensive and unfortunate "sticks are for kids" choice offered in the poll.

Given that I've visited over 30 countries on six continents - and have driven on four of those six - I maintain that, rather than being "more than a little ignorant," my comment is actually more than a little true. Sure I've seen far crazier drivers in other countries (although it's hard to beat Miami), but when you talk about distracted, oblivious, inconsiderate, and lazy drivers, the US takes the cake. Coincidence that automatics proliferate here? Maybe.

Quote:
As for your opinion on what makes someone an American? Don't be a troll.
But it's so much fun to make you take the bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
Out of curiosity, what percent of that percent are new cars vs older models?
Never considered that. However, given my European experiences taking taxis, renting cars, riding with friends and family, and peering into the windows of cool parked forbidden fruit, I'd say it's about the same. For now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
Obviously this statistic of yours is not based on any real information and simply your observations
What part of "I'd wager" and "it seems" made you think I was presenting my numbers as facts, or even as statistics?

But, since you asked, Google "percentage Europe cars manual," and you will see a number of links that demonstrate my guestimates were right on the money. For example, see sentence three here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ame...icle-1.1072784

(Kudos to Ford US for offering manuals across-the-line in the Focus and, surprisingly, in the Fusion at all.)

Quote:
But what do I know? I'm just a Big Gulp swilling, Big Mac chowing, lazy American who doesn't know how to drive.
Not surprised to hear that. Please, however, at least try to stay out of the left lane.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #70
Holden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90783
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Holden Good Standing Member
My apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread somewhat, but you kind of asked for it with "sticks are for kids." I'll stop now, but as a goodbye alternative to my "ignorant" "rant," I present this snippet from a very amusing article on the Volt by Pulitzer Prizewinner Gene Weingarten, who - although an "obnoxious proselytizing proponent" of manual transmissions like me - manages to state his polemic far more eloquently than I:

--------------
"This would be a good time to address an issue I'd hoped would be pivotal: This car is designed to annoy people like me, by which I mean obnoxious, proselytizing proponents of clutch-and-stick driving.

I consider Americans' love affair with the automatic transmission to be a national disgrace, symptomatic of our softness as a people. This preference is lazy, unsophisticated and dumbed-down -- as I see it, philosophically inextricable from our lard-butted, couch-potato affinity for junk food, junk TV and celebrity gossip.

The Volt doesn't come with a stick shift option. I was poised to hate it for that reason alone, if necessary -- my fallback position -- until I learned that the car, basically, has no transmission at all."
--------------

Yes I realize that his use of "unsophisticated" undermines his argument (well, opinion) a bit, as modern automatic transmissions are, of course, extremely sophisticated (not that he was using the word to describe transmissions). Nevertheless, the article is still a great read, and can be found here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2011012707377

Bookmarks & Social Networks