2013 Focus stalled while driving - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
ds48059
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110244
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 ds48059 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Focus stalled while driving

Hello all, new to the forum, bought a 2013 Focus Titanium hatchback on 12/28. Less than 4000 miles (drive 90 miles every day for work), and it stalled while driving home tonight - any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
Man or Auto? What speed? Weather Conditions? Noises or vibrations just before stall?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
ds48059
Focus Rookie

2013 Performance Blue Titanium Hatchback Auto - I was going about 45 miles an hour, all lights on dash came on, oil light stayed on, and it sputtered to a stop. I tried for 20 minutes to restart and the car sounded like it was missing. As I was on the phone with a tow company I tried again and it started, however, check engine light is still on.

Not happy - first new car since my 2002 Honda Civic (which I still have with 275,000 miles on it and never had a problem). Probably the last Ford I buy - EVER.

The weather was 23 degrees - no rain or snow.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
water in gas maybe? Have the engine code read at a AutoZome or Oreailys for free. If you felt a misfire thatll probably be your code and maybe some others along with it. If it was a misfire the ppl scanning the code should be able to tell you if it was a certain cyl or just a random misfire in sevral cyl. Also make sure theres nothing blocking your intake and or exhaust.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
ds48059
Focus Rookie

I am just going to take it into the dealer in the morning. Just very concerning, I know that it could be a once in the life of the car incident, but at the same time, I drive on the freeway to and from work - it would not be good if it dies while doing 75 in heavy traffic - the first thing that came to my mind. I was lucky the road I was on had a shoulder and there was little traffic
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Come back and tell us the rest of the story {what the dealer said]
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
ds48059
Focus Rookie

Will do, just tried to run a vehicle service report and it said unable to connect to server. Try again later...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds48059 View Post
Not happy - first new car since my 2002 Honda Civic (which I still have with 275,000 miles on it and never had a problem). Probably the last Ford I buy - EVER.
No matter what you purchase, it will have an electronic throttle body, and will be capable of these sorts of things. Your 02 Civic did not have an electric throttle body, and neither does my 05 Focus. Of course, any car can do this today- including your 02 Civic- all you need is a loose negative battery terminal. It might cut off, then start right back up again like there was never a problem.

Fortunately, you have the internet. You also have Focus Fanatics, and we have a Ford Customer Service rep from corporate. If you have problems with your dealer, we can put you in touch, and maybe something better will come from it.

I can tell you that your dealer is probably not going to do much. What can they do? There is no magic wand, and if the car is still running- what's the problem? What's to say, to them, that it even happened at all? I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. I'll be impressed if a dealer fixes a problem that isn't occurring at the time it was dropped off.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds48059 View Post
I am just going to take it into the dealer in the morning. Just very concerning, I know that it could be a once in the life of the car incident, but at the same time, I drive on the freeway to and from work - it would not be good if it dies while doing 75 in heavy traffic - the first thing that came to my mind. I was lucky the road I was on had a shoulder and there was little traffic
Let us know how things go at the dealership. I'm happy to step in and see how I can assist; just send a PM my way with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
ds48059
Focus Rookie

I did run a vehicle health report late last night. It did show that the check engine light was on, but all other functions were ok. Boy was I glad that I ran the report this morning - when I started the car, the check engine light was no longer on. At least I have something to show it happened.

After letting the car warm up, during the drive to the dealership, it was hesitating more than it normally does - actually stumbling a couple of times but not stalling.

Dealership - as I disscussed what happened and my frustration of the car being less than 2 months old, they asked if I was waiting or was going to be picked up. I said that I had to get to work and was hoping to get a loner since the car is "new". Once I said this, they said that it would not even be looked at today. Long story short, I do understand that it is not required for dealerships to provide loaners, but if a customer asks, why should it seem such a crazy question? I bought the car in anticipation of driving it 5 days a week to and from work with little dealership interaction other than oil changes. Within 2 months of buying the car, it stops running for no reason. Now the dealership from where I purchased the car is reluctant to provide a loaner - disappointing feeling. After persistence, I was provided a loaner - although I had to put gas in just to get home from work.
I did mention that I was disappointed in the fuel mileage I was getting (less than 28 avg - while driving 45 miles to work at 75 MPH and 45 miles home at 55 MPH). A guy in a escape that was there said he was getting 30+ and he drives 80... The customer service rep said that it was cold, the break in period. How long is this "break in period"?

No update from the dealership today. Now, after getting home tonight, my wife said that she will no longer drive the car and it scares her that I will be. All she thought about today was driving the car and having it happen on the highway in traffic - just what I wanted with a new car.

Nothing I can do but wait and see what the dealership says.

Bookmarks & Social Networks