New USA bound diesels? - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #61
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,696, Level 71
Points: 11,696, Level: 71 Points: 11,696, Level: 71 Points: 11,696, Level: 71
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstall View Post
I got a bit of news on that 2.0TDCi but I can not share, sorry.
My guess would be the next Edge, seeing that Ford will introduce the redesigned Edge in Europe.
Ford N.A. generally uses its high profit vehicles to introduce new powertrain offerings.
Doubt it would be for the new Transit as it has been announced to be using the 2.2 TDCi.
Won't be the Connect as it has been announced for both N.A. & EU to be offered in N.A: 2.5-liter Ti-VCT and 1.6-liter ecoboost with 6-speed
automatic transmissions.
EU & ROW: 1.6-liter duratorq tdci diesel and 1.0-liter ecoboost with 5/6-speed manual transmissions; 1.6-liter
ecoboost with 6-speed automatic transmission.

So it makes sense the new Edge which is due sometime in 2014 will be a vehicle Ford could choose to use on both sides of the pond with the 2.0 TDCi.
I would think of the outputs offered here for the 2.0 TDCi - 140hp & 163hp, the 163hp will be the choice for North America.

Last edited by GhiaFan; 03-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #62
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
No because I risk revealing my source. Think before asking questions.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #63
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Angry As big a rant as I can muster over vehicles

I own a PowerStroke. I bought it in February 2006, it was built February 1, 2006. Within days of my purchase, the price of Diesel went from about a dime a gallon cheaper than regular gas to about 20 or 30 cents (now 40 cents) more than premium gas. I've been told that this is because they had to tool up for the upcoming stricter sulphur standards. Whatever. I'm convinced there was a light at Exxon that lit up that told them I bought a diesel and it was time to gouge on price.
It doesn't matter why, but nobody has (because, I think, there is no way possible) posted any numbers that show the increased initial cost of the engines and the higher price of fuel can be overcome by any higher fuel economy. Diesel engines cost more to buy, more to own, more to repair, and more to drive, and, quite honestly, aren't nearly as much fun. Add the increased stink factor (and if you've ever gotten diesel on your hands, the stink is MUCH harder to wash off) makes me even angrier than I already am. There's only one thing about a PowerStroke that is good, and that is that you can buy many many different tuning systems with dozens, if not hundreds, of tunes.
Why would anyone WANT a diesel Focus? Why not just clamor for a decent tuning system for the '12s and '13s?
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #64
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
So it makes sense the new Edge which is due sometime in 2014 will be a vehicle Ford could choose to use on both sides of the pond with the 2.0 TDCi.
I would think of the outputs offered here for the 2.0 TDCi - 140hp & 163hp, the 163hp will be the choice for North America.
And it will promptly die a quick death given the 240 hp Grand Cherokee diesel it'll attempt to compete with.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #65
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
I've been told that this is because they had to tool up for the upcoming stricter sulphur standards.
Yeah, the ULSD went into effect in 07 in the USA. It also lowers fuel economy. That I didn't know, but should've expected. Now BD is probably completely different. Everyone I know who makes BD gets more power and better fuel economy- this is using the same method to remove glycerides as you would use to make lamp oil back in the day (alcohol, NaOH= lamp oil + lye soap). Someone else tells me that all you need to do is use a fine filter to clean the BD oil, and that's all you need to do. Not everyone owns a convenience store that sells fried foods, and has 20 gallons of waste peanut oil per week. I've often wondered why BD production didn't take off. I read about algae, canola, and nothing ever happened. IIRC, it was one of those things where it wouldn't be economically viable until prices were over $3/gal. Ummm...

"I tell you all, you beware! I don't think they really care. I think they just sit up there and just get high!" Things Goin' On, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #66
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,744, Level 31
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Thanks for the chuckle.
You would be amazed as go who lurks in these forums. You would be amazed as to what members here have moved up in the Ford world and are now working on projects with design and Team RS.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #67
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,744, Level 31
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
I own a PowerStroke. I bought it in February 2006, it was built February 1, 2006. Within days of my purchase, the price of Diesel went from about a dime a gallon cheaper than regular gas to about 20 or 30 cents (now 40 cents) more than premium gas. I've been told that this is because they had to tool up for the upcoming stricter sulphur standards. Whatever. I'm convinced there was a light at Exxon that lit up that told them I bought a diesel and it was time to gouge on price.
It doesn't matter why, but nobody has (because, I think, there is no way possible) posted any numbers that show the increased initial cost of the engines and the higher price of fuel can be overcome by any higher fuel economy. Diesel engines cost more to buy, more to own, more to repair, and more to drive, and, quite honestly, aren't nearly as much fun. Add the increased stink factor (and if you've ever gotten diesel on your hands, the stink is MUCH harder to wash off) makes me even angrier than I already am. There's only one thing about a PowerStroke that is good, and that is that you can buy many many different tuning systems with dozens, if not hundreds, of tunes.
Why would anyone WANT a diesel Focus? Why not just clamor for a decent tuning system for the '12s and '13s?
Because you have only owned a V8 diesel and don't understand just how efficient small displacement diesel are.

I have gotten my fair share of money back on saved mpg in my jeep diesel even more with a Eco tune. 80mph and 27 mpg compared to 22 to a gasser. Plus I can tow and shill get better mpg than a gasser not towing. BtwI have a pair of gloves I use when filling up. Anyone that fuels diesels knows you keep a pair of gloves for fueling. My oil changes cost no more except I have to use an extra liter. 177hp and 337tq from a 2.8 I4 and 28mpg 4100lb brick that can tow 7700lbs is pretty damn good.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #68
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Cool Show me numbers

Quote:
Because you have only owned a V8 diesel and don't understand just how efficient small displacement diesel are.

I have gotten my fair share of money back on saved mpg in my jeep diesel even more with a Eco tune. 80mph and 27 mpg compared to 22 to a gasser. Plus I can tow and shill get better mpg than a gasser not towing. BtwI have a pair of gloves I use when filling up. Anyone that fuels diesels knows you keep a pair of gloves for fueling. My oil changes cost no more except I have to use an extra liter. 177hp and 337tq from a 2.8 I4 and 28mpg 4100lb brick that can tow 7700lbs is pretty damn good.
From what I can see, that math doesn't work out to savings. Gas is only 86 percent of the cost of diesel (3.45/gal for gas, 3.99/gal for diesel here yesterday), so unless we see a diesel engine getting somewhere around 48 or 49 mpg at 60 mph (I get right at 39 to 40 mpg at 60 mph with my focus) do we overcome the extra costs of purchase and fuel within 100,000 miles of driving.

100,000 miles at 48 mpg takes 2,083.3 gallons at $3.99 for $8,312 in fuel costs.

100,000 miles at 39 mpg takes 2,564.1 gallons at $3.45 for 8,846 in fuel costs.

That's 500 dollars difference in 100,000 miles.

Let's give diesel the benefit of the doubt in a BIG way. 35 mpg for gas, 55 mpg for a diesel (this is a pipe dream, but I'm trying to be fair to your position).

100,000 miles at 55 mpg takes 1818.18 gallons at $3.99 for $7254.54 in fuel costs.

100,000 miles at 35 mpg takes 2857.14 gallons at $3.45 for $9857.14 in fuel costs.

So, now even with the latter scenario, you subtract the 2,000 dollars more for the diesel engine, you've saved a whopping 602.00. Seeing that a diesel engine's oil change is going to cost you an extra 40 dollars (for a SMALL diesel engine) every 5,000 miles, or 800 dollars over the 100,000 miles, I say you still lose the cost contest by about 200 bucks. And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that the diesel will be equally fun to drive in all of this.

Let's talk Compressed Natural Gas filling up at home, running gasoline on long trips where you can't easily find CNG. Now I'm interested in savings.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #69
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
" American"companies and we always get the crap of the crap... I dont get it, never have never will
Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
You would be amazed as go who lurks in these forums. You would be amazed as to what members here have moved up in the Ford world and are now working on projects with design and Team RS.
I'm sure I would be. Although probably not as amazed as by the number of people in these fora, who have all these confidential sources. That's truly amazing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.