Ford Focus 2012 transmission issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Diane
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110171
What I Drive: 2012 red Ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Diane Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Ford Focus 2012 transmission issue

My Ford focus has 21,000 miles on it. At first I absolutely loved it. Then Ford put out a recall for the transmission issue whereby the car would roll back (like a standard) - mine is an automatic. After that recall was "fixed" my car has horrible sputtering and hesitation when pressing on the gas. After a couple of trips to my dealer I was told that it is "normal operating condition" due to the design of this transmission. I am so saddened for several reasons - one is that I chose to purchase a Ford to buy American - only to find they won't do anything about this issue. Second I pulled money out of my retirement to pay most of it off. My husband needs a kidney transplant and we needed reliable transportation to go back and forth from AL to GA and with the sputtering and hesitation it makes me concerned it won't be safe. I have contacted the service manager of my dealer and he is going to drive it and get back to me but if it was doing the same thing his was it would be considered "normal operating condition". I am just sick about this. I of course will wait to hear back from the manager - but what kind of a recourse do I have to get a resolution to this issue? Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Diane
Focus Rookie

Dealer's hands are tied on transmission issue

I noticed on this site that there were positive comments from what appears to be a Ford representative about working with your dealer. I have gone all the way to the service manager at my dealer and he just let me know there was nothing they could do about this transmission issue. I am currently very sorry I chose to buy American and bought a Ford. Any ideas from here about what to do now would be most appreciated.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
I would unplug the battery so that the transmission will reset. Forget the learning process. I have not issues with mine after disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes.
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
AngelicPyro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108868
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 AngelicPyro Good Standing Member
solution

Hi , I just had to go solve the same problem and when i took it in they recognized this as a common problem and just replaced the clutch under the warranty. It shouldnt take more than a couple days.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Diane
Focus Rookie

Thank you for the suggestion about unplugging the battery. I don't have a clutch - it is an automatic - or is there a clutch hidden?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Welcome to the forums Diane

Sorry to hear your having trouble but I am sadly not surprised. Your Focus like mine has what is called an Automated Manual. Its basically a manual transmission with two clutches that are computer controlled (which was the reason for the rolling down hill before the recall). There may be a problem with your seal which is common with the people who are experiencing problems; there is also some who mysteriously have messed up clutches that have to be replaced. Try to work with your dealer the best you can although be warned there are some (like me) who have had no luck.

I don't mean to scare you I just don't wanna sugar coat things about it

When did you purchased the car?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Hi Diane. I feel so sorry for everything you are going through with family and now the car. There is a Ford Customer Service rep on this forum and I advise you to private message him.. I wish you luck and hopefully they will assist you.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Diane
Focus Rookie

Hey I appreciate the truth - I bought it in November of 2011 - it is a 2012 and has 21,000 miles - The lemon law only covers up to 12,000 miles. My dealer has told me there is nothing else he can do. My next step was to call the customer relations center.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Diane
Focus Rookie

Hey gostinger - thanks for your kind words. Do you know how I would go about private messaging the rep?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Hey I appreciate the truth - I bought it in November of 2011 - it is a 2012 and has 21,000 miles - The lemon law only covers up to 12,000 miles. My dealer has told me there is nothing else he can do. My next step was to call the customer relations center.
Give it a try! Some people have had luck with the CSM route but your mileage may vary. I find that my CSM seemingly "forgets" to call me back.

To PM a rep click here and press the send message button in the lefthand corner

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.