Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #61
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
I wouldn't wish the DCT powersh^^ on my worst enemy...........except my neighbor ;)
I'm gonna tell everyone I secretly hate to buy a Focus with a DCT! Muwhahahah Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #62
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
I have had pretty much this kind of experience. I would add that things that concerned me have smoothed out considerably for me since I switched to 93 octane. Not related to transmission? In this digital age of cars adjusting things for different fuels, is it not possible that the transmission is somehow involved? Perhaps, and perhaps not.
I have two of them in the garage, because I liked the first one that much!
I have read all of the complaint threads, and a lot of complaints have been from the way the car reacts and runs on 87 octane. It will work on 87 albeit like shiit. Another common problem is drivers who don't understand the accelerate by wire vs having an actual cable attached to a throttle body. If you try to ease on the gas as you pull away from anything the car is confused as to what you want to do. It doesn't know if you are in stop and go traffic or leaving a stop sign/red light, unless you convey that with your foot and ankle. It will hesitate, lurch and stumble as it isn't sure if there is a stopped car right in front of you or not? Once you put premium in it, and learn how to communicate your desires through the accelerate by wire system and understand the functionality of the computer automated six speed manual transmission, most all of the DCT issues are gone, unless you actually own a unit that has one of the known mechanical issues. It is as simple as that, yet that is way more complex than most can handle.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #63
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Another common problem is drivers who don't understand the accelerate by wire vs having an actual cable attached to a throttle body. If you try to ease on the gas as you pull away from anything the car is confused as to what you want to do. It doesn't know if you are in stop and go traffic or leaving a stop sign/red light, unless you convey that with your foot and ankle.
You bring up a good point. I believe that some of this dissatisfaction with the DCT has to do with the use of the right foot.

For example, if you were going making a left hand turn in an intersection (from a stop), the throttle should be applied smoothly and gradually through the turn. If one were to momentarily lift off the throttle half way through the turn, the DCT may not respond well.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #64
vacman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107472
What I Drive: '13 5M white Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 vacman Good Standing Member
Do this: go to the stickies and subscribe to all the dct and problem threads. Watch how often someone new posts with an issue. There have been dozens of posts made by unique people since I joined this site about the dct. People stalling on the freeway, slamming into gear hard enough to scare the wife into thinking they got rear ended, not accelerating when turning in front of oncoming traffic, etc.

If you've figured out how to minimize your issues by changing your driving habits or if you're lucky enough to be unaffected, terrific. But odds are high that if you buy a dct car you will have issues. Ford is fixing them now, but if this is happening already, what happens when these cars get some real miles on them?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #65
Jester1911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109586
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE 5door

FF Reputation: 1 Jester1911 Good Standing Member
I'm pretty lucky, I've just now been able to drive both for quite a few miles. My car is in for a remote starter to be installed, and I got a loaner 2012 WITHOUT MT.

I can see how some would not like it. When moving from a stop you can feel the clutch engaging and I could feel a shudder. I also noticed the issue of going around turns and it acting weird. I also know that if you are to do as some stated above, and THINK about the foot input, and how you want it to shift, and where, the transmission will react the way you want it to.

I really like the 6th gear, and how it drops the RPM's.

Overall I am impressed actually by it, and think after driving it some more, I could get used to it, although the car is getting 10mpg less than my 5 speed, and that doesn't bode well with my commute.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #66
offroad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110140
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE Hatch, 201A, 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 offroad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester1911 View Post
My car is in for a remote starter to be installed, and I got a loaner 2012 WITHOUT MT.
You have a 5spd that's getting a remote start?
Isn't there a switch on the clutch that prohibits starting unless its pressed?

Also, when I build one on Ford.com it seems to indicate that remote start is only available on a DCT. What's the cost to add it later?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #67
Jester1911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109586
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE 5door

FF Reputation: 1 Jester1911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
You have a 5spd that's getting a remote start?
Isn't there a switch on the clutch that prohibits starting unless its pressed?

Also, when I build one on Ford.com it seems to indicate that remote start is only available on a DCT. What's the cost to add it later?
LOL, that's what I said... We will see, If I don't get it, I'm not really out anything. It was supposed to be part of my purchasing deal, so If it can't be installed, I'll see if I can bargain for something else.

From what I have read online is that there is a certain procedure that can be done to use remote start on a MT. Something like while the engine is running, put in neutral, set e-brake, press remote start button, take key out (engine should stay running), then get out of car, shut door, and press remote start button again, and car will turn off. Remote start is supposed to work after that UNLESS someone opens the car door.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it will work, nor do I really care, it is an extra.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #68
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
I have read all of the complaint threads, and a lot of complaints have been from the way the car reacts and runs on 87 octane. It will work on 87 albeit like shiit. Another common problem is drivers who don't understand the accelerate by wire vs having an actual cable attached to a throttle body. If you try to ease on the gas as you pull away from anything the car is confused as to what you want to do. It doesn't know if you are in stop and go traffic or leaving a stop sign/red light, unless you convey that with your foot and ankle. It will hesitate, lurch and stumble as it isn't sure if there is a stopped car right in front of you or not? Once you put premium in it, and learn how to communicate your desires through the accelerate by wire system and understand the functionality of the computer automated six speed manual transmission, most all of the DCT issues are gone, unless you actually own a unit that has one of the known mechanical issues. It is as simple as that, yet that is way more complex than most can handle.
This sounds more like excuses for the DCT's shortcomings and one shouldn't need a class to learn how the tranny works and how to drive it,it should be easy to drive no matter who buys it,this isn't some highend race tranny or something. I've driven several other manufacturer's DCTs and none of them behaved as badly as the Focus' and I've driven 4 of Focus' version. This car is marketed to all ages and should be as easy for someone who 80 years old to drive as it should be for someone who just got their license.
The DCT is a fail on Ford's part and they know it but have dug a big hole by putting a tranny that hasn't finished baking into a new car.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
This sounds more like excuses for the DCT's shortcomings and one shouldn't need a class to learn how the tranny works and how to drive it,it should be easy to drive no matter who buys it,this isn't some highend race tranny or something. I've driven several other manufacturer's DCTs and none of them behaved as badly as the Focus' and I've driven 4 of Focus' version. This car is marketed to all ages and should be as easy for someone who 80 years old to drive as it should be for someone who just got their license.
The DCT is a fail on Ford's part and they know it but have dug a big hole by putting a tranny that hasn't finished baking into a new car.
Why should it be acceptable for a person to have to LEARN to drive a manual but not an Automated Manual? If it is too much to do, there are other cars out there with simpler transmissions. You can argue all you want but I among others like the DCT and see no conflict with learning to drive it. These are Not excuses, they are statements of preference and personal experiences and observations. Most 80 year olds probably grew up with a manual before getting an auto so won't have any more problems with this transmission than any other. I understand you don't like it but hey, can we? Apologies for challenging your assumptions.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #70
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I too, have driven and owned cars with similar systems, albeit they were from a much higher price point, and they did perform better all the way around. Go figure. It is my understanding that Ford is one of the first manufactureres to bring this technology to this much lower price point vehicles. I guess if you have to take into consideration the systems in use on the vehicle you are driving and drive accordingly in order to have the best driving experience, yes indeed Ford failed. They failed to make the car idiot proof. But having slightly more cognitive processing ability than the average idiot, I find the car a pleasure to drive.

Bookmarks & Social Networks