Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #101
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
MSRP after delivery was $24,270, we took the best of four offers at: $19,300 after all rebates.
Seemed a pretty good deal for a car we really liked, now starts the long boring wait for it to arrive.
That is a good deal. Congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #102
opies
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109709
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 opies Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
But that's not a fix...it's relief. I've driven manuals all my life and have driven many dual-clutch cars (mostly race, but some others, as well). It even shuttered when I would put the pedal to the floor when I owned the car. It wasn't simply that it was a DCT, it was that the system did not function as it should. It worked perfectly until the TSB last year, and then it started acting up (literally within a week of getting it updated).

I know how a DCT should act, and I even know how this one should act (since that's it worked before the update), but it did not act that way.
More throttle "fixed" my shudder issue. I suppose you could also put it as it "relieved" me of the shudder issue as well. Potato/Potato.

Now, Im not one to normally let issues go. I am a very picky consumer. I was all set to talk to the service department about how my tranny shudders on take off. I am now satisfied that the issue, with my vehicle, was me. I did not intend to present my post as an end all be all solution for everyone else.

I learned to drive with a manual. Ive owned many manuals in my lifetime and I possess a Class A CDL. I am no stranger to manual transmissions.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #103
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
But that's not a fix...it's relief.

I know how a DCT should act, and I even know how this one should act (since that's it worked before the update), but it did not act that way.
I think proper driving technique, is as close to a fix as you are going to get. With 87 octane and vague throttle inputs, I can get mine to shudder and jerk like a lot of the complaints here. Premium and more positive throttle inputs and all is well. Is the car defective, I don't think so. Now I absolutely agree that DCT V4.0 was a mistake. I should have stayed with V3.0. All of the clutch slipping action programed into V4.0 I don't need and or want the reduced service life they are bound to produce. I have noticed if you don't press firmly on the brake pedal, the clutches will be slipping thinking you may want to creep forward, leading to overheating and less than smooth launches from lights. I have started to just shift into neutral at lights that I know hold for a while, just to be sure the clutches aren't slipping. Ford needs to wake up and offer drivers a choice of DCT software. Not everybody needs and or wants their DCT to try to emulate a hydraulic torque converted automatic.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #104
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Now I absolutely agree that DCT V4.0 was a mistake. I should have stayed with V3.0.
+1 on this one. I miss my late 2011 TSB flash.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #105
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Maybe its just my car. but when ever I leave it in drive and let it shift whenever it wants to even with a slight prod on the throttle generally gets it to downshift one gear, usually I have to really mash the throttle down in select shift manual, and then sometimes it does the 6-4 or 6-3 downshift instead of just changing one gear, but in drive even a slight lift and prod, or just a prod will make the car shift gear readily.

Its not quite as twitchy as the 6F35 was in that one Fusion I had driven to my father's house while they had it as a rental, but its not like it flat out refuses to shift either.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #106
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Maybe its just my car. but when ever I leave it in drive and let it shift whenever it wants to even with a slight prod on the throttle generally gets it to downshift one gear [...] but in drive even a slight lift and prod, or just a prod will make the car shift gear readily.
Yeah, my car doesn't do this. lol
Old 02-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #107
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yeah, my car doesn't do this. lol
I don't know if that has more to do with having never had the power train control module re-flashed, or something else.

I don't leave the car in drive all the time though having quite frequently run the car through the gears manually, but that shouldn't directly influence the shifting pattern of the automatic programming.

The gearbox has felt roughly the same from the first miles past 3 (right off the truck on the test drive) to now at 11.3k.

So its quite unfortunate for those who have had issues that the dealers either can't fix or refuse to fix.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #108
vacman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107472
What I Drive: '13 5M white Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 vacman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
When I started this thread I had no idea it would get so many reponses so fast, thanks to all who responded.

Placed an order on an SE Hatchback on Saturday for my wife.
Test drove a DCT but ended up ordering the 5spd, if this is a good car we will have it for many miles and the higher odds of getting a long term trouble free car was a factor. We like driving sticks too, and the Focus has a good one.

Ordered this car:

2013 Focus SE Hatchback - 5sp. Manual
Exterior - Ingot Silver
Interior - Charcoal Black
Package 201A (SE Appearance Package)
Winter Package
Power Moonroof
Exterior Protection Package

MSRP after delivery was $24,270, we took the best of four offers at: $19,300 after all rebates.
Seemed a pretty good deal for a car we really liked, now starts the long boring wait for it to arrive.
Good choice. Enjoy it.

Here's an interesting recent post. I guess the guy just doesn't know how to drive.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...62#post4608662
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #109
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacman View Post
Here's an interesting recent post. I guess the guy just doesn't know how to drive.
That is unlikely.

Judging by other posts that report good results after replacement of the clutch assembly, his problem may be related to the quality of service. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a service tech hasn't repaired a car properly.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #110
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacman View Post

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...62#post4608662
I don't know how you come to the assumption this guy doesn't know how to drive? It sounds like he has a car with defective parts and poor warranty service on top of that, but I don't know why you call into question his driving skills.

Bookmarks & Social Networks