Immobilizer light stays on - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
NIKO-007
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86107
What I Drive: 2008 Silver Focus TDCI 1.6 Remapped

FF Reputation: 1 NIKO-007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Immobilizer light stays on

Just recently my car has started cutting out, this can happen when driving along or at idle, if i turn the ignition off then restart the car it starts fine, that was last week.

The problem has got worse, the car is hard to start and when it does it cuts out within a few mins.

I have noticed that when i turn the ignition to position 2 the immobilizer light does not go out like it used to, and even when the engine eventually starts the immobilizer light stays on.

I have heard of the immobilizer light flashing and giving codes to faults but mine just stays on.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
pfsantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 125113
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 pfsantos Good Standing Member
Do you have another key? Did you try it? My first guess would be a bad transponder in the key...but not sure it would cause the symptoms you're describing. I think the car would just not start.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
NIKO-007
Focus Rookie

My mechanic has been and the car is giving a P062 code from the OBD port, he says he has to check out what it is and let me know.

Also i am getting a DTC code showing D900

Can any 1 here tell me what it is referring to and possible remedies or link me to a code list, thanks.

Last edited by NIKO-007; 04-15-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
pfsantos
Focus Enthusiast

Ur missing a digit. Should be PXXXX. I usually Google the code.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
NIKO-007
Focus Rookie

Yeah my mechanic gave me that code and all the codes are 4 digits.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Music
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155618
What I Drive: 2008 Red Ford Focus SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 Music Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKO-007 View Post
My mechanic has been and the car is giving a P062 code from the OBD port, he says he has to check out what it is and let me know.

Also i am getting a DTC code showing D900

Can any 1 here tell me what it is referring to and possible remedies or link me to a code list, thanks.
http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/Vehic...s/dtc_list.pdf

P062X -
P0620 Generator Control Circuit Malfunction
P0621 Generator Lamp "L" Control Circuit Malfunction
P0622 Generator Field "F" Control Circuit Malfunction

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/1vy...xxxx-d900.html

The instrument cluster fault code D900 means...." non specific can communications interruption "

This does NOT mean you have a fault on the car. It's merely reporting that the networking around the car had an unidentified interuption in power supply.....so.....had a flat battery or jump start recently ?, maybe battery been disconnected for some reason ?

If the answer is no to the above, then have your battery tested. If battery is ok, have a battery reset done and code should disappear. ( remove negative lead from battery and hold to +ve lead for 2 minutres).

Its really nothing to worry about...the 01 is the code count...i.e. If you had 3 faults it would read 03 D900, D184, D251 etc,

Hope this helps
Regards
Martin

----

Another person had the D900 with a 9600 code and it was for a - PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal is Not Received - Damaged Key or Non -PATS Key

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237810
http://www.focushacks.com/mod/Instru...iagnostic_Mode
Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
NIKO-007
Focus Rookie

The Mechanic must have given me the wrong code, turns out its the EGR valve, a friend told me to clean the contact pins and plug connector for the valve and to take the car for an Italian tune up which basically means to take the car for a thrash to the red line, i thought this was really funny as i had never heard this 1 before LOL, i did both these things and the car is much improved but the problem has not completely gone away, the car starts fine now and runs OK but has cut out about 3 times in 40 miles at junctions, but restarts OK, so looks like i will have to replace the failing EGR or consider fitting an EGR blanking plate.

I also read that the immobilizer light doubles up as a fault light, if the light stays on it means there is a minor fault, and if it blinks it indicates a more serious fault and will also blink a code to you, i have no warning lights now though myself.

I have ordered an OBD/2 port reader off ebay, thay are so cheap , paid 7 for it ,it connects to your smartphone with an app via bluetooth, i was charged €30 for a guy to read the error code for me pfff!

Ill keep an eye on things with the reader and see how it goes, thanks for all the input.

I have read many good and bad points about an EGR blanking plate and don't know if it would be something i would do, it does not seem a good idea for an engine to re-breath its own combustion waste though, no wonder things can get sooted up.

When they are designing these systems to lower emissions they don't care about the end user at all and we foot the bill with a sooted up intake that breaths its own exhaust and a DPF that gets clogged and costs money to fix, i am glad i don't have a DPF on mine, 1 less thing to worry about.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
pfsantos
Focus Enthusiast

The egr valve sometimes ends up with a carbon chunk in it and when it doesn't close completely causes problems at idle or low throttle. You may want to remove it and clean it.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #9
NIKO-007
Focus Rookie

Would a faulty EGR valve cause the car to stall at cruise and idle, i was wondering if this really is the problem and not something electrical.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #10
pfsantos
Focus Enthusiast

It would. Focus on removing, cleaning and making sure it's unstuck. If off the engine, you can clean it with throttle body or carb cleaner. Reason the engine sounds rough is because more exhaust going to engine than it's expecting. You can Google egr systems for more info cuz I only have a vague understanding.

Bookmarks & Social Networks