Still having sway/rocking issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
cbf1989
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106860
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZTS 2.4L

FF Reputation: 1 cbf1989 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Still having sway/rocking issues

So a little history about my wife's car. I bought a 2004 Focus 2.3L ZTS in beginning of 2012 from what I am pretty sure were a bunch of swindlers. At first the car seemed good until after a while of driving it on the highway, I found that it would Rock/Sway VERY BADLY. So bad I thought the car would flip. Taking the on and off ramps to highways were the worst and it didn't matter how fast or slow I went. I had some people look at the car and it turns out the car had been totaled. Both left doors had been replaced, worst paint job ever btw... Also, due to rushing while buying the car, I didn't find out till later that the title on the car was changed from a salvaged title to a rebuilt title. So I figured I would try as many things as I could to try and make this thing work great. Here is what I have changed so far for suspension purposes and their order as well:

1. Rear Shocks (Nov 2012)
2. Front Struts (Not the springs though) (Dec 2012)
3. Passenger Ball Joint (Used an Air Hammer and a Drill to change it out)(Dec 2012)
4. Driver Side Ball Joint (Used a Grinder and a way better Drill Bit this time)(Feb 2013)
[After last step I took to get aligned and was told that it would be best to change the driver outer tie rod end]
5. Driver Tie Rod End, Driver Sway Bar Link, Passenger Tie Rod End, and Passenger Sway Bar Link. (Feb 2013)
6. Got an Alignment (Feb 2013)

After changing out the first ball joint, I could tell the left side tried to compensate for the right. After changing out the left side a few months later, the car definitely was much smoother and did not sway/rock like before, but still had a little bit of rocking/swaying. Enough to make me feel the car is still not safe enough for my wife to be driving around our 3 y/o and another one on the way. Even after changing out the Tie Rod Ends, Sway bar links, and getting the Alignment, I felt no difference.

So after saying all of that, my question is, what would be the next best thing to change out in hopes of fixing this issue? I prefer to start with the cheapest and easiest options first obviously rather than change the whole suspension system out. Plus I don't want to do a bunch of stuff to the car and it turns out the frame is so messed up it cant be fixed lol.

I am at the point right now I almost want to get a new car but at the same time I definitely cant afford to buy a new one and would like to get this thing figured out :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you get a four wheel alignment, or just the fronts?
If the chassis was out of whack from the previous wreck, the alignment guy should have noticed the caster or camber being off.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
ToreadorFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100350
What I Drive: 2006 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ToreadorFocus Good Standing Member
idk if this would be the "right" way to do it because u wouldnt be solving the problem directly but you could solve the problem by installing an aftermarket rear sway bar.. its not crazy expensive either
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
ToreadorFocus
Focus Enthusiast

the other option that i just noticed is replacing the rear struts.. i noticed you only said rear shocks.. if you want to make sure their bad before replacing just take them out and see how easily it can be compressed.. not sure how much uk about struts but it should go in relatively hard and come out slow on its own
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
gurkpimpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63495
What I Drive: 2001 Tornado Red Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 gurkpimpin Good Standing Member
The rear shocks are the struts unless you mean the springs which on the back are two different things

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
cbf1989
Focus Rookie

I did get a four wheel alignment and the guy said he had to adjust both the front and back and that the front driver side was the worst and the rear passenger side was bad as well. He didnt mention anything about it looking messed up in the rear though. Ofcourse I did get the alignment as they were closing so they may have just rushed it. Not really sure..

Like gurkpimpin said, there is no struts on the back but I have been considering changing out the springs. They arnt all too cheap.

Yeah I think the rear anti-sway bar would be a good idea. I guess that'll be the next best thing to change out. Wasnt sure if I should try and change it out or the front sway bar first? I think the back would be 1,000 times easier but I have done neither, so I wouldn't really know.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
ToreadorFocus
Focus Enthusiast

oops that was my bad
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
cbf1989
Focus Rookie

Also I did notice that EVERY time I raise the front of the car, the back of the car creeks reallyy bad. So does that sound like more of a rear sway bar issue or rear springs?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
gurkpimpin
Focus Enthusiast

Your car may not have a rear sway bar like mine doesn't so I went and bought one of cl to add to my car..its doing the same thing yours is but when I have other people in the car it doesn't do it as much or at all but when its only me it does it a lot more have the rear shocks and rear Svt springs to go in but haven't got to it yet..there is another forum about this same issue floating around here just haven't been able to find it.
Here's one http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252472
Look at this search may help you a lot more http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...ed=0CCkQvwUoAA
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
gurkpimpin
Focus Enthusiast

In the for sale section would be the best place to find a rear sway bar for not very much

Bookmarks & Social Networks