Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How do I disconnect the battery?

16K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Deftmetal 
#1 ·
I can't for the life of my figure out how to disconnect my battery...

Any info?

#2 ·
Start with removing the ground cable on the left front strut tower, then remove the positive terminal which is the forward terminal on the battery. It would require removing part of the cowl shielding to undo the negative terminal, but the ground line will also act as a surrogate negative.

#5 ·
It should just unbolt, however I'm not 100% sure on which size bolt/ nut it is, as I haven't had to remove the battery connections yet. If all you want to do is reset the computer removing the ground cable should be sufficient for this afaik.

#8 ·
The nut gets loosened that faces up on the positive terminal. I see youve removed it in the picture. This style of clamp gets stuck on. The nut doesn't have to be removed just loosened. It's a 10mm bolt I think. This nut I'm talking about can not be used to make connections you would be better to just attach here

Zoomed out a bit

Or get new terminal clamp

#11 ·
I typed that before I took the picture. I thought it was like the gm version. It might be fine to attach there on this style. With this kind of clamp where the nut is 90° to the clamping direction the part of the fastener that re directs the force gets jammed, if you tap the stud the nut came off of down lightly it should loosen the clamp. Rotating it might help as well. As the picture sits there is nothing actively holding it on besides deformation of terminal or clamp

#13 ·
The nut is off, that means its loose. It is simply stuck. Sorry about all the extra information.

clamps that work like this one does go on easy but don't come loose very easy. Tap on the stud gently to make it go down towards the battery. That will allow clamp to spread more easily

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.