Rubix Intro/Build - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #61
Dukttape
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94135
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE Sedan "Fiona"

FF Reputation: 1 Dukttape Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How did you get the badge off the grill? Any pics of it on the car? I've thinking of doing that to my grill but I haven't found any pics/ how it's been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #62
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You have to be pretty handy, there is a thread around somewhere because I have seen how it is done. You have to cut out the badge (its a soft metal) and re-make the area basically.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #63
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109903
What I Drive: 2011 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Rubix Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
I looked around on the Web and couldn't find any info on the tuning of your box. Considering it's a prefab I'm assuming it's tuned in the mid to high 40's.
Now is that bad? Just curious if that'll cause any harm to the sub or what not.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #64
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukttape View Post
How did you get the badge off the grill? Any pics of it on the car? I've thinking of doing that to my grill but I haven't found any pics/ how it's been done.
Had it done by a shop that's done previous work on my mk4 jetta. No pics of it installed yet just picked it up yesterday. But as far as I know the guy said he cut it out and filled on the gap with fiberglass then repainted the whole thing black. There is a thread though that has some info on how it can be done. Ill post it if I can find it.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #65
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix View Post
Now is that bad? Just curious if that'll cause any harm to the sub or what not.
No, it just could be louder and sound a little clearer is all. If you have a system for just the bump your fine. If your going to be taking it to shows and trying to do some competition, or try to impress people you probably want a tuned box.

Here is a tuned box I used to have:

The port, depth of the port, and shape of the port effected how my sub sounded, in fact when I switched to this box my lows got a lot lower and the sub was quite a bit louder.

A Pre-fab box

Made for a variety of subs, kind of like a happy medium for most subs that would fit the box.

No different than having your car tuned. When you get your car tuned its made for your car only, it won't work as well with other Foci, where the stock tune (Pre-Fab) is made for a base line for all Foci.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #66
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Very Different than having your car tuned... The issue with prefab boxes that usually first arises is that the box volume is not correct for a sub. Every sub is different and has different requirements or areas that it shines.
Most of these boxes are too small and tuned too high for any woofer to sound good in. Sure, they'll give a good peak in output at 50hz, but the low-end will seriously suffer. And who wants their subs to fall on their face when trying to pump out a 30hz note? Not me.

It will not cause harm to the sub unless the box is too much airspace for the sub and your over powering it. Typically if you are using less power than the sub needs you can use a slightly bigger box to make up for some efficiency or if you are really overpowering a sub then you would want to go on the smaller side of the enclosure recommendation. But then again this also comes down to the subs.

Then once you get educated on car audio you realize that most of the brands people always talk about and think are good are actually not good at all. And then you get the argument that for the price it is good when in reality there are many car audio companies out there that make terrific products for the same price as many of these mainstream car audio companies. And they will outperform it all day long(= For example you hear many people always talk about kicker L7 subs or kicker this or kicker that when the fact is Kicker sucks... Anyone who actually knows car audio will tell you this. They L series subs are actually quite inefficient and take too much power in too big of an enclosure.

As you can see in the other thread I have tried a ton of setups and all of them aren't even posted there. If you want to learn more and really know what your talking about hang out on caraudioclassifieds.org or smd forum and you will start learning lots and lots of things.

I'm getting ready to order 2 sundown x10's or possibly zv4 10's and another SK-1500.
Here is the x 10 (=
http://www.amazon.com/X-10-D2-Sundow.../dp/B00EIQSZEK

Everyone thinks a system is loud until they hear a solid correctly setup system tuned in the low 30's. Once they feel the force of a sub murdering lows their eyes are open to the awesomeness(=
There is nothing wrong with learning as you go and trying different setups as you go. But learn now and research and it will save you time and money getting there(=
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #67
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Sounds like I should work on getting a tuned box. But till then this one works fine for what I want. Thanks for all the info. I hear nothing but good things about sundown.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #68
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Sounds like I should work on getting a tuned box. But till then this one works fine for what I want. Thanks for all the info. I hear nothing but good things about sundown.
Yeah it will work great until you decide to go tuned! And yeah I love sundowns subs. The amps are terrific as well but pricey. I just started running SKAR amps and I am very very impressed both with the build quality and the amazing sound quality and power output of the amp. Plus it is very efficient so my electrical doesn't suffer for it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #69
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Yeah it will work great until you decide to go tuned! And yeah I love sundowns subs. The amps are terrific as well but pricey. I just started running SKAR amps and I am very very impressed both with the build quality and the amazing sound quality and power output of the amp. Plus it is very efficient so my electrical doesn't suffer for it.
What would a tuned box run me?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #70
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
What would a tuned box run me?
For a single 12 a very good box would probably cost $125-200. This fully depends on where you have it built. I have a guy here in Tyler that would charge me about $80 before carpet for it. And he does excellent work. He is actually gone to Florida until March 22nd because he is at the Car Audio installer institute there.
I would call around to car audio shops in your area to get quotes from them. The Se-x subs really shine when paired with a properly tuned box.

You want a box at around 2.0 cuft tuned to 33Hz. You will be amazed at how much better your sub performs all around but especially with the lows.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->