Bought a 12 SE, Few Performance Q's - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104271
What I Drive: CD Silver

FF Reputation: 2 StephenElsbree1986 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bought a 12 SE, Few Performance Q's

Hello all, I've looked on here a few days, and have a couple questions. First I read people get 40+MPG on the HWY. I want to know how this is possible my car has 20k miles on it and I get 32ish? Should I be worried that I have some sort of issue, it isn't leveled ground it hills and downhills, would this effect an 8MPG? I drive 12.4miles to and from work which is all HWY Miles and this is my first tank of gas I've in this car but. I have to be doing something wrong.

2nd Question, is when power/sport shifting What are the optimal shift points I saw a youtube video and they shift from 6.5k each time but as soon as I shift into 2nd it hits 5.5k and goes right into 3rd on it own I literaly only spend less then a sec in 2nd. Few of the youtube vids I've seen no other car is doing this?

3rd Question, Is there anything small like CIA that improves MPG, I know with MPG gains you see power and get a heavier foot. But that is why I still have my SVT. I really dont see why I only getting 31HWY MPG. I know there post here and there about this but alsi I just wanted to introduce that I only had this car three days and will spend more time here! Also hopefully get anwsers all in one page.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
How to get 42mpg hwy. First, it has to be Summer. Second the freeway is flat.. no hills. third you drive on cruise control at 53mph. No variations. (and no wind either..)
Driving at 47mph is even better for mpgs...(with all of the above..)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

So 32 is fine for hills and at 60-65? Just from the MPG Thread there seem alot to be at 40 and close to it at higher speeds. Not at 53, and all the conditions you listed. I was just woundering if it was because it was at the dealership and also said mpg where like 5, but I reset it but not sure if the trip reseting will effect the miles till empty? What is our avg Miles till empty then? mostly highway
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
How to get 42mpg hwy. First, it has to be Summer. Second the freeway is flat.. no hills. third you drive on cruise control at 53mph. No variations. (and no wind either..)
Driving at 47mph is even better for mpgs...(with all of the above..)
Not true.. I drove 70+ MPH 1100 miles (one tank lasted 500 miles before I ran out of gas LOL) with Headers and Exhaust and Spark Plugs gapped to .055" 40+ MPG the whole way.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yesterday on a 100 mile drive I got 39 mpg. There was a 30 mph crosswind most of the way headwind the rest of the way. 30f out or less. I was driving 65 on mildly hilly roads. I have low rolling resistance winter tires. I have gotten better mileage in winter on average than summer the last 4 years using the low rolling resistance tires in winter
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenElsbree1986 View Post
So 32 is fine for hills and at 60-65? Just from the MPG Thread there seem alot to be at 40 and close to it at higher speeds. Not at 53, and all the conditions you listed. I was just woundering if it was because it was at the dealership and also said mpg where like 5, but I reset it but not sure if the trip reseting will effect the miles till empty? What is our avg Miles till empty then? mostly highway
Miles to empty averages from old tank and current. You should expect in the 300s-350s. If you want to know how much you really use, fill up your tank, and reset trip odo. Then refill to full, and divide miles/gallons refilled. The mpg meter is average, not instantaneous.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
A mostly-highway commute is never going to match the mileage of a long-distance highway cruise.

At the start and end of your trip you've probably got at least a few blocks of stop & go traffic. Plus, your engine is still warming up for the first mile or two.

So it doesn't surprise me that your commute is getting you mileage similar to the EPA combined rating. You need to take a road trip to see what kind of highway mileage you can wring out of your car.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

Is there any key speed for CC like 65 better then 70 or how much diffrence between the two? I found out I'm an idiot and why my car on speed shift was skipping 2nd almost since I was shifting up on my own at 6k rpms the car was in the processes of shifting also so it basically double shifts into third.... I didnt know I could just keep on the gas and it will shift at red line.... that awesome, So gapping to .045" will help, using stock plugs? I'm not even sure what our stock plugs are. I don't think I'm doing H/E at all any time soon to scared of voiding any warrently and I got 100k/72month bumper to bumper added. I know it only voids the exhaust warrenty unless Ford can prove it, just don't want to risk it let. I might be willing to do intake and just swap it out every oil change or issue I have.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
thehun
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102696
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 thehun Good Standing Member
I do not baby my car and I get 31.5 MPG...it has all the silencer deleted and Green Filter installed...running 91 octane since the second tank

5-Speed Manual
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
Not true.. I drove 70+ MPH 1100 miles (one tank lasted 500 miles before I ran out of gas LOL) with Headers and Exhaust and Spark Plugs gapped to .055" 40+ MPG the whole way.
Just to clarify you also don't have any cat's.

You can get high MPG's at 70 though. Even with the 5-speed, I can get 38 mpg doing 70 mph for nearly the whole time and not really trying to hyper-mile. I also have a 2.5" cat-back so that probably helps a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
How to get 42mpg hwy. First, it has to be Summer.
Quoted for an unfortunate truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5karl View Post
A mostly-highway commute is never going to match the mileage of a long-distance highway cruise.
Another good point. I can't get past 33 mpg (on winter gas) on my nearly all highway commute of at least several miles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks