DCT Revs and Speed question - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Agree. The gearbox itself should be very long-lived: if everything works right there are no missed shifts, no improper clutch action, no gear clashing, etc. The microslipping (if that's what we're experiencing) seems to occur when not a lot of torque is being transmitted, so I'm not that pessimistic about clutch life either.
Agreed. I mostly notice it when im casually driving. When i put my foot down the shifts are crisp and theres no slippage.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nseah View Post
Agreed. I mostly notice it when im casually driving. When i put my foot down the shifts are crisp and theres no slippage.
Perhaps it's an issue with how I drive my car, but I generally ease into acceleration, but when I do that the car almost never down-shifts. I'll moderately push the pedal down 75% and the car will bog down in fourth gear. If I push 90% it double-down shifts to second and I take off like a bat outta hell. I find it's very had to downshift 1 gear while easing on the gas.

I attribute the "You gotta learn how to drive the DCT." statement to these quirks. But grinding? Not an issue with "learning how to drive the car."
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,279, Level 35
Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35 Points: 3,279, Level: 35
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Mine does the same thing. Ford mentions the concept of "microslip" in the DCT which I interpret as allowing the clutch to slip slightly make the experience a bit smoother. In some conditions, mine will even exhibit this behavior if gas is given suddenly when cruising, but not enough so as to cause a downshift.

Let's hope this is normal. Maybe the Ford rep could comment. Cory?
Hi dan50,

Cory is working on a new project so I'll be stepping in to assist.

Since I'm not a mechanic, I'm not in the best position to answer technical questions. Your local dealership's service manager is a great resource for determining whether or not your vehicle's behavior is normal.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,143, Level 40
Points: 4,143, Level: 40 Points: 4,143, Level: 40 Points: 4,143, Level: 40
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3inline View Post
Since this type of trans/engine management has been used in F1 for what the last 15 years. With drive by wire throttle, the ecu controls everything, air, fuel, ignition, clutch, and shifting. I undestand this isn't a million dollar control system but, Europe has been using this in the Focus two years before released here, didn't they learn anything from that ?

F1 cars do NOT use DCT or dual clutches at all. The gears are very, no make that VERY slim and would not last very long in street use but then they don't have to last very long and they make them as light as possible to reduce weight, and more importantly, moment of inertia. The trick to F1 gear boxes is the shifting mechanism that can complete the shift in much less than 25msec, some say as low as 10msec. There is no micro slipping between gears...

Brian
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi dan50,

Cory is working on a new project so I'll be stepping in to assist.

Since I'm not a mechanic, I'm not in the best position to answer technical questions. Your local dealership's service manager is a great resource for determining whether or not your vehicle's behavior is normal.

Crystal
Crystal, you are such a kidder! Ford service departments will declare pretty much any DCT behavior "normal" if that's the convenient answer.

Welcome back.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
The pinto exploding with a rear impact was "normal" as well I guess.

The DCT twice has shifted so hard in low speed traffic that it felt like I was rear ended, in fact it was a worse lurch than the coulple times I have been rear ended, and I only have 200 miles on the car so far. Hopefully it gets better with use because if not it's unacceptable.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Microslip is to be expected, so it that tiny burst of torque when you shift up or down to keep things smooth.

As far as reliability goes, I'd take anything from this forum, VWVortex or any other site with DCTs involved with a grain of salt since its really the people who hate them who have issues.

As far as the 100k without issues nonsense, VW has been using transverse DCTs for a lot longer, I've heard of no horror stories. A friend has a longitudinal DCT and also has never had issues in 4 years so really, I'm unsure what to make of all the paranoia around them.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Microslip is to be expected, so it that tiny burst of torque when you shift up or down to keep things smooth.

As far as reliability goes, I'd take anything from this forum, VWVortex or any other site with DCTs involved with a grain of salt since its really the people who hate them who have issues.

As far as the 100k without issues nonsense, VW has been using transverse DCTs for a lot longer, I've heard of no horror stories. A friend has a longitudinal DCT and also has never had issues in 4 years so really, I'm unsure what to make of all the paranoia around them.

I don't know if It can be said that Ford's version of VW's DSG is one and the same. I do know that VW has extended the warranty on all DSG or S-tronic transmission for 10 years/100,000 miles. Yeah and they've been at it with this tranny far longer than Ford. Do we have the same coverage on our less proven DCT?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I don't know if It can be said that Ford's version of VW's DSG is one and the same. I do know that VW has extended the warranty on all DSG or S-tronic transmission for 10 years/100,000 miles. Yeah and they've been at it with this tranny far longer than Ford. Do we have the same coverage on our less proven DCT?
And at least with the VW DSG you get super quick shifts too.

Ford should extend the transmission warranty but will they?, I am not sure
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
I think it will take a class action lawsuit to get Ford to stand behind the tranny, honestly, although there is a chance bad press might force it if it slows sales, the focus is selling pretty well right now though.

That or enough people filing a complaint that the tranny makes the car unsafe. There are over 100 complaints already.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.