MK3 (2013) DCT @ dealer for repair - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #81
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
If more idiots here understood this, this forum would be a better place, instead of hearing "All of these cars are POS!"
You just made me /sadface a little, normally we have pretty civil threads here.

That said there's probably a couple hundred people using this site that DO have legitimate problems with their cars, mostly transmission problems. Even the reviews when the car was BRAND NEW gave it low marks on the transmission due to malfunctions or poor shift quality, hence the TSB to reprogram it <ford basically admitting it was a pos and needed a fix> same with the MFT.

Unfortunately we don't have access to ford corporates statistics on vehicle problems, would be VERY INTERESTING INDEED to see what percentage of these 2012-13 Focus' are being sent back to dealership for problems, just my speculation but guessing it's higher than any other vehicle by any other manufacturer, PURE speculation tho.

Still too early to tell how widespread the problems are, probably gonna take another 5 years to tell, get some mileage on these vehicles and find out how long the parts in it really do last once their powertrain warranty has run out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #82
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post

If more idiots here understood this, this forum would be a better place, instead of hearing "All of these cars are POS!"

While I agree that maybe yes perhaps the majority of people are not having issues I unfortunately am NOT one of those people.

As you can tell by my post count I've been here a long time but unfortunately the car keeps getting worse and it's currently at the dealership now getting the transmission and clutch assembly completely replaced(it's going on two weeks now) this after the transmission module was replaced and it failed again.

I love this car but based on my experiences I just can't in good honest truth recommend it to anyone just based on my own experiences. These problems are very real, my dealership called me today to update my status(only positive in all this is my dealership they have been amazing) and she told me that they actually got another 2012 Ford Focus in the shop with the same exact issue.

I do agree that people rush to the internet more often to complain, than to praise but let's not dismiss the complaints and just say "they're the minority they're just dumb"

also majority of the issues seem to be my model and year then the newer Focus.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #83
Cleric670
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Plus all these complaints wouldn't exist if Ford would just FIX THE CAR! Unfortunately they don't know how at this moment so we're stuck driving broken vehicles that we paid 20k for...

This is what most people are pissed about. Defects happen, you take it to the dealer, they repair and send you on your merry way, it's a slight inconvenience but it happens. We're being sent home with vehicles that still don't work properly and being told to our faces "it's functioning normally" or "we can't fix it Ford doesn't know how"

I think many people don't understand fully how the Ford service/repair system works tho, a dealership will diagnose the problem (they're not reimbursed for diagnosis hours spent btw) then they hop on the computer and log into the Corporate Ford website for repairs through this program i THINK is called "Oasis" and they post the problem the customer is having and ask what repair ford would recommend. Many times the issue will have an immediate response from ford engineering because it's problem is already logged in the database with a specific corrective action to be taken. Otherwise they wait up to 5 days for an email back telling them what to do to fix the issue.

Now here's the tricky part, the repair shop has to follow the repair procedure EXACTLY AS IT SAYS and they will only be reimbursed for parts listed in that repair. They cannot simply "try to fix it themselves" or they WILL NOT be paid by Ford for the work they did. In the case of the transmissions they've been told by Corporate to do things such as flash the PCM, replace clutches on some, and MOST have been told to tell the customer "it's normal, live with it" and print out the powershift information paper and give to the customer which was basically this huge disclaimer saying that shudder, miss-shifts, noise, mechanical malfunction were all NORMAL (in sheisty legal speek). Then sending the customer out the door without anything actually being FIXED!

Fastforward 2 years and you have a LOT of pissed off customers who bought cars that ford refuses to fix. There's literally threads 100's of pages long with people driving vehicles that have been multiple times to the dealership and STILL aren't fixed.

This doesn't make them "idiots" just "pissed off customers" and this forums is a great place for them to come to vent out their anger against a company that's mistreating them.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #84
rick217
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110731
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
While I agree that maybe yes perhaps the majority of people are not having issues I unfortunately am NOT one of those people.

As you can tell by my post count I've been here a long time but unfortunately the car keeps getting worse and it's currently at the dealership now getting the transmission and clutch assembly completely replaced(it's going on two weeks now) this after the transmission module was replaced and it failed again.

I love this car but based on my experiences I just can't in good honest truth recommend it to anyone just based on my own experiences. These problems are very real, my dealership called me today to update my status(only positive in all this is my dealership they have been amazing) and she told me that they actually got another 2012 Ford Focus in the shop with the same exact issue.

I do agree that people rush to the internet more often to complain, than to praise but let's not dismiss the complaints and just say "they're the minority they're just dumb"

also majority of the issues seem to be my model and year then the newer Focus.
I really hate reading posts like this as I know all too well what frustration it is having a new car that is experiencing problem after problem. Lord knows in my 41 years of driving I've had a few. Do you really think the 2013 models will prove a bit more reliable? I understand Ford got a new supplier for the clutch disks and have made some other "improvements" as well. I hope this latest dealer visit results in a cure for your problems. It is at leat encouraging to hear some positive comments about a dealer. Many here have not had such luck. If Ford doesn't get its act together on this it will set them back 20 years. I hope they don't think this problem will magically disappear like the proverbial "fart in the wind"!
I hope at least someone high up the corporate food chain there will step up to the plate and make a corporate decision to make thinks right or they're going to lose A LOT of potential future customers!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #85
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
This story is from October 2011, somewhat dated but in a few 2012 models I rented I experienced this immediately. I have to admit to me Ford made some improvements, because my car doesn't feel anything like the 2012 models I drove, at least not yet. Though both rental cars were quite new, one had less than 2K on the odometer.

"Especially at lower speeds in parking-lot areas, it's a very jerky transmission," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports' auto test center. "It was very difficult to get a smooth drive-away."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/powershi...ty-survey.html

Although it's debatable in this day and age, I held off the first model year to see if they got the kinks out, I read that Getrag produced 1 Million DCT250 transmissions this past October now in three locations worldwide. I just wonder if the Italian produced DCTs are any better than the Mexio produced ones in the NAFTA zone? I also read a lot of negative press on the Dodge Dart DCT, which some are saying falls back on Dodge's new owners FIAT "Fix It Again Tony" saying.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #86
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Tubeway Army,

When I escalate cases, it alerts the customer service manager (CSM) for your region to your concern and gets them involved. They act as an additional resource to your dealership to work on your case. I'm not aware of any "negative" effect of getting them involved. Sometimes customers are directed by dealerships to get CSMs involved; I act as another way to make that contact happen.

Let me know if you have any other questions; I'll keep an eye on this thread for any updates on your Focus.

Thanks!

Crystal
I appreciate the diligence, I think after tomorrows drive to work I will make up my mind. Kinda not looking forward to taking it in, don't want any other surprises been down this road before with Volkswagen, was not a good experience.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #87
EggYolkBill

Fan#: 8
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I did not post to downplay any issues some people here are experiencing. My point was to make it clear that the majority of people are not having these problems. If it were that widespread if an issue, the entire world would already know about it.

I would probably be posting myself if I had issues. However, I would maintain rationality and hope that my dealership responds appropriately. The dealer response is typically a bigger issue than any repairs I have ever had in the past. Problems do happen and unfortunately, once touched, the problem tends to get worse with each person who touches it.

As I said, all manufacturers have problems. Some more than others. I am confident that Ford is doing what they feel is best to deal with these DCT issues. It must be difficult to manage real vs imagined issues with something many users do not understand. I am surprised how much this DCT behaves like a typical manual transmission. This behavior would seem odd to many who have no experience driving a manual. This would make it more difficult to diagnose a real problem. From a support standpoint, documenting the events and operating environment is key to a proper diagnosis.

Also, predictions of doom are seldom accurate.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #88
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
I did not post to downplay any issues some people here are experiencing. My point was to make it clear that the majority of people are not having these problems. If it were that widespread if an issue, the entire world would already know about it.

I would probably be posting myself if I had issues. However, I would maintain rationality and hope that my dealership responds appropriately. The dealer response is typically a bigger issue than any repairs I have ever had in the past. Problems do happen and unfortunately, once touched, the problem tends to get worse with each person who touches it.

As I said, all manufacturers have problems. Some more than others. I am confident that Ford is doing what they feel is best to deal with these DCT issues. It must be difficult to manage real vs imagined issues with something many users do not understand. I am surprised how much this DCT behaves like a typical manual transmission. This behavior would seem odd to many who have no experience driving a manual. This would make it more difficult to diagnose a real problem. From a support standpoint, documenting the events and operating environment is key to a proper diagnosis.

Also, predictions of doom are seldom accurate.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
A friend of mine works for the parts department at a Mercedes Benz dealership. He told me that even Benz's models' parts go through several revisions because the German mindset is to "over engineer" or to always try and improve their parts and cars. Therefore, he said, I should not be discouraged by what is happening to my car because all manufacturers have problems with new vehicle models or parts, even really expensive cars like Benz's. He also said that Mercedes Benz and Ford are the first two car manufacturer to exist (Ford was the first production manufacter). Because of this, he said, I should trust Ford more than the general public do at this point (apparently a lot of people think Ford is unreliable.) He also said that Ford's mindset is simplicity, unlike their German brothers - that Ford likes to rebuild/replace parts that fail instead of coming up with new designs or overengineering like the Germans do.
In any case, he said I should not be discouraged, that it will be okay. Worst case scenario would be a lemon in which case I would just get a replacement vehicle.
On that note, my friend said that the reason there is not a recall yet is because not enough people have had this problem. Once Ford this enough people have had the same problems they will do a recall, until then they will fix/rebuild/replace parts with updated parts.

Anyways... I'm waiting to hear what the tech's tell me about my engine failure/shutdown I had in 1st month of ownership. I'm also waiting on the clutch system parts (clutch+seals) to come in. I'm in contact also with my Regional Ford Customer Service Representative who said he can actually help my dealership recieve the parts faster by expediting them or some other means.

I can't wait to get Shadowfax back!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #89
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
engine failure? complete engine failure? how'd that happen?

I made a thread previously, here it is: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307047

And again, I apologize if I offended anyone earlier with my initial anger. I still love my Ford Focus and all the other Foci! It was just extremely stressful, frustrating, and angering to hear that my car had such problems. I've calmed down now but I can't wait to get Shadowfax back!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #90
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

Thank you to those of you who have reached out to me already. As a reminder to those of you who are currently experiencing any physical concern with your vehicle, I am here to help by getting your cases documented and into the hands of your regional customer service managers. To proceed, send me a private message (PM) with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks