MK3 (2013) DCT @ dealer for repair - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #121
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got my clutch/seals replaced March 22. That is almost 1.5 months ago. The car ran much better after the fix but gradually got "harsher". I've had several shudders when changing gears and most of them were not my fault. I will admit a couple times I maybe made the wrong choice in regards to where/when to shift, but most of the shudders were random.
I called my tech at the dealer and explained that I had heard about the TSB out for my car right now. And then explained my symptoms. I also asked if maybe it was the clutches/seals again? He said they will have to take a look.
Also they are replacing my stereo mask which came defective from the factory (it's crooked so some buttons stick)
I'm taking the car in on Monday to avoid leaving it over the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #122
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
So it was all temporary after all, sorry to hear that. Mine started behaving a little better the last two days, magically some of the grinding subsided but I did get too sure about it and celebrate.

Low and behold today it was the direct opposite and I am planning on taking it next week probably, got delayed this week at work. I also have some interior issues, and a paint blemish that needs to be corrected.

I may talk to the salesperson I got the car with on that day about a possible trade-in due to not being satisfied with my purchase. I don't think it will be feasible, going to be tough to hang on to this car for a few years and live with it to say the least.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #123
mishka
Focus Addict

Mine has not grinded at all since my clutch/seal fix. I was having grinding before that.
So again, my car has overall ran much better since my fix, even though I'm still having a problem now and then.
Pre-fix my car shuddered on take-offs. Post-fix it doesn't.
Pre-fix my car did not shudder in higher gears, post-fix it does shudder in higher gears.
Pre-fix it shuddered a lot. Post-fix it is more random and uncommon.
Pre-fix my car grinded, post-fix it does not grind.
Pre-fix I got 280 miles/tank of gas, Post-fix get 350 miles/tank of gas.

as I said before since my fix a couple of the shudders were "my fault", i think, but 90% of the shudders were random and I think not my fault at all. Yesterday I was in first gear in manual mode coming up on a stop and for some reason hesitated because there was a lot of traffic and so I put in into D while coming to a stop and the car shuddered violently. I was like.. okay that was def my fault... but still you would think that should not make the car shudder so much. I realize the D setting wants to keep upshifting but come on!

My hope is nothing is wrong with the clutches/seals and that its a computer/tuning thing. May I remind everyone I know relavtively nothing about cars :)

Also I wanna note that after my fix and multiple ecu reflashes that when in D the car can go 25mph in 5th gear lol - that is if you slow down to to that speed in 5th. I think you can phsyically put it in 5th gear at 40mph. As for S mode, when in auto, it will take longer to shift when accelerating then it did before - it will rev up significantly higher than it used to - keeping it in gear longer. At first I didn't like it but I do now because it allows you to continue accelerating faster while in auto S. As for manual mode, it shifts pretty hard unless you find the "sweet spots" when slowing down. I noticed the sweet spot to shift down is around 1.5k RPM's if you want a smooth and soft shift. But as the gears go higher you can have a smooth downshift closer to 2k RPM.
All this is what i've experienced in my car at least, and I'm not sure if it needs improvement or not, because some of the tuning and transmission issues are still up in the air for our model car :/

will keep updated
Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #124
mishka
Focus Addict

the dealer called and said my car is ready.
yesterday they called and said they have to "call Ford engineers" for what to do next.
today my dealer called and said that the tech drove my car, and reported it to Ford, and that Ford said it's the "driving characteristics of that transmission" and they will give me a document detailing the characteristics of the transmission.
They say there is nothing wrong, mechanically, with the car. He told me my car has the most recent computer update and that the strategies are only reset if there is an update, so he said there will be no difference when I get the car back.

question: does my car have to have an engine light on in order to exibit a DTC? i told my tech about the DTC's I saw online and they said they would have seen it on my car if it applied to my car.

Well i'm glad to know that theres nothing wrong, or so they say, with the transmission. I guess it is just difficult to master?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #125
mishka
Focus Addict

in case anyone still was subscribed, all is well with the trans still *crosses fingers. i'm glad to say I've learned to drive the trans even better as well. Also the feel like the injected tune helps by not putting as much stress on the trans vs fords tuning but I could be wrong.
mods can close this thread if they like because hopefully no more issues :)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #126
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
"mods can close this thread if they like because hopefully no more issues :)"

Leave it open!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #127
mishka
Focus Addict