RPM drop off when shifting into 2nd - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Ground Fault
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128170
What I Drive: 2014 Black Focus hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 Ground Fault Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
RPM drop off when shifting into 2nd

I have searched around a bit and read some of the transmission threads but haven't read about this exact problem. I have a 5 speed manual transmission and when I am rapidly accelerating and shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes the RMPs drop off as if I have taken my foot off of the gas when I jam back on the gas going into 2nd. It lasts for about a second before winding back up, just long enough to lose momentum. I am assuming this may have something to do with traction control but if so it is a huge over reaction. Usually if my foot is really in it I bark the tires going into second and get on down the road. The drop off has happened half a dozen times or so in the last couple of months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Sounds like your traction control kicking in. Keep your eye on the dash when you make this kind of shift and if it is the TC the light on the dash letting you know you're losing traction will light.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
focusstu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus S 5MT

FF Reputation: 2 focusstu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Have you done the K&N drop-in and snorkel delete? It seems to help my 5-speed on initial tip-in and in throttle response. 93 octane helps too.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
TheJackDaniels
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114381
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 TheJackDaniels Good Standing Member
I have the same issue as well. The traction control light never comes on when it happens. It seems like the car just has a senior moment and doesn't realize the gas pedal is in the floor. It maintains rpm and after a second or so starts to accelerate.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Tyfocus95
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120306
What I Drive: '14 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Tyfocus95 Good Standing Member
Mine doesn't do that, I can get my wheels to chirp into second (with TCS off of course). I've never noticed a drop in rpms when I'm driving "spiritedly" but then again I've never checked. Could have something to do with it being an electric throttle?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Fault View Post
I have searched around a bit and read some of the transmission threads but haven't read about this exact problem. I have a 5 speed manual transmission and when I am rapidly accelerating and shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes the RMPs drop off as if I have taken my foot off of the gas when I jam back on the gas going into 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackDaniels View Post
I have the same issue as well. The traction control light never comes on when it happens. It seems like the car just has a senior moment and doesn't realize the gas pedal is in the floor. It maintains rpm and after a second or so starts to accelerate.
Hey Ground Fault and TheJackDaniels,

Have you discussed this concern with your Ford Dealer? Let me know and I'll look into available options on my end.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks