Do I buy? 290k miles. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
bp944
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109979
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 white, 292k miles

FF Reputation: 1 bp944 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do I buy? 290k miles.

When I graduated from college my parents sold me their 200k mile dodge caravan awd. Its old and gets horrible gas mileage and has no potential to be fun. (Other than doughnuts in snow). It runs quite reliably but I'm afraid for the day it brakes and I have to try and find awd minivan parts. $$$$$

I have been in search of a hatch to trade for on craigslist. Civic hatch, crx, mx3, cougars, etc. I was recently called by a guy interested in trading. It is a 290k mile zetec zx3. It has the original engine and transmission but the clutch has been changed. I have yet to see the car but what should I look out for. I'll be doing a compression test, look at the oil, check the suspension and such. Between my porsche 944 and this minivan, I've done my fair share of car work (head gaskets, axles, cv's, hub, bearings. etc) so I'm fairly wrench savvy.

Is a near 300k zx3 in need of a complete rebuild? What am I walking into? How hard is it to find parts for zx3's and are they expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
2.0 L
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102780
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black SAP

FF Reputation: 1 2.0 L Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well I don't about Minneapolis, but here in KS Zetecs are everywere. Would be hard at all to pick up a cheep one with low miles. I would say do anything to get away from that van. ha ha.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Ghostrider86
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39558
What I Drive: 2003 Blk Centennial w-VF/FSwerks SC

FF Reputation: 2 Ghostrider86 Good Standing Member
Sold my last ZETEC at 386k miles. Still ran like a short tale cat (summoning my inner red neck)

If its not black and gooey under the filler cap, has decent compression, and isn't rusted out, go for it.

A drive will tell you everything you need to know.

I wouldn't pay more than $1500-2k for it MAX!

Matter of fact, about to add a SC to my 207k focus and have no worries.
Nalley Lexus
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I wouldnt
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
autolite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
Neighbor had 265,000 miles on his 01 wagon.The fuel pump went and he had the engine light on with issues with the egr.So he got rid of it I think he still regrets that decision.He timing belt went at 190,000.I wouldn't be afraid if it looks cared for.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yes, the cheaper you get it, the better off you are.

You can also check out our Buy, Sell, Trade forum for people selling cars, but IDK if there are any selling near you. Where you live- I'm surprised you're interested in high mileage cars, especially beaters. Don't suspension parts decay and rust out? That's what I'd be more aware of than the engine.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
gurkpimpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63495
What I Drive: 2001 Tornado Red Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 gurkpimpin Good Standing Member
You can pick up a engine if it goes for under 1000 easily and suspension on these cars are reativly cheap unless its a svt...my first zx3 kona edition I got with 190xxx but drove it in til I sold it to a family member with 230xxx they drove it another 50xxx then sold to one of their friends and he is still driving it to this day with original engine and I think the same clutch that I had installed..I would still have this car but came across a 98 gtp for 2000 so I couldn't pass that up...so if its mechanically sound and is token care of then do it..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkpimpin View Post
You can pick up a engine if it goes for under 1000 easily and suspension on these cars are reativly cheap unless its a svt.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile
It costs $350 to replace SVT suspension with OEM parts. Labour will be the same no matter what. How is that not cheap?

There are a few Foci on here with 300,000+ miles. I'm at 265,000mi on my 01 ZX3. The alternator has gone out. Other than that it has all been simple R&R on small parts here and there.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
A dodge caravan with 200k is a miracle in its own right! Congrats on that! lol. But seriously I wouldn't stay with that caravan much longer. 290k on a Focus might be pushing it, however if the price is right and it runs halfway decently you might just luck out.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
bp944
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109979
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 white, 292k miles

FF Reputation: 1 bp944 Good Standing Member
He wants to trade it outright for my minivan. I figure both of them have about the same probability of breaking and the zx3 seems cheaper to fix. It's hard to find the awd parts for the minivan. I also want a more gas efficient car. I have to admit the drag coefficient of the zx3 is absolutely pathetic. I was reading that its somewhere around .36. Is that true?

If the engine or transmission went out, I think I'd just rebuild it up. I'd live a high compression turbo. Just a small one.

Has anyone tuned the engine to run a leaner burn to get higher mpg?

Bookmarks & Social Networks