Cars You Regret Selling - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
soundFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97713
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 soundFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cars You Regret Selling

I was just kind of interested if people have ever sold or traded a car and really come to miss it or regret it.

About a year ago I traded my 04 Dodge for my 2011 Focus. I love the Focus, but last night I really was hit with regret again. I was actually horribly upset when I drove home from the dealer when I made the deal, probably due in part to the fact I didn't actually have the keys to the Focus and still had the truck for another 24 hours. So anyway, I did keep up with the car; I know it got sold about an hour away from me and according to the Carfax, financed, but I lost track of it after that. I spent all night last night looking for it online, trying anything I could think of; I didn't feel like plunking down $30-35 for a Carfax, though it did say 17 records; at last count it had 15.

Anyway, my attachment to the truck, despite having it for only about 7-8 months was that my brother bought it brand new, having ordered it from the factory and it was loaded: quad cab, LSD, V8/4x4, power everything, Infinity stereo, rear defrost... basically everything except leather. It was badass looking too, black with silver lower trim and bumpers. I was about 12 years old and thought it was awesome. So after lusting after this truck I got the chance to buy it, and jumped. I thought I was getting a great deal, and even agreed to trade my trusty 93 Corolla (he wanted it as a commuter, and it was amusing as my parents originally bought for him over 10 years ago, which he then replaced with the truck. It wound up being my first car) towards it against the advice of my parents.

Unfortunately, the truck turned into a money pit and I put over $3,000 in over 6 months and it was going to need another $1,000 before winter. It also got about 14mpg mixed while I was expecting 16-18. I pulled the plug on it and got the Focus, the irony being had I kept the Toyota like mom and dad said I probably would have toughed it out having put all that money in it and just used the Toyota as a commuter. And now for the real kicker; it looks like he may very well be getting a car to replace the Toyota and turning it back over to us, bringing things full circle. I guess on the plus side I got a really awesome Focus out of the deal, but it still bothers me to some extent had I just kept the Toyota I might have avoided the entire cycle.

Anyway, long story short: ever have a car you sold and really came to regret it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
my artic camo'd 90 ford ranger. had over 200k, bought it for 900 bucks, sold it for 900 bucks. that 2.9 fired every time i asked it too. on the hunt for another one
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
my dad has a 2001 dakota slt, was supposed to be mine before the recession hit and the parents split. i love that truck, has the v8 and it hauls, he only gets like 15 mpg though, so I love my focus for getting 30ish in the summer lol.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
2002greenzx3
Not so green zx3

Fan#: 69341
What I Drive: 2010 Mazda3 GT, 1990 Nissan 240sx

FF Reputation: 2 2002greenzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
1996 probe gt. Of course if I didn't sell it, it would be dead by now

Sent from my DROID using FF Mobile

DD: 2010 Mazda3 Grand Touring, 6 speed
Project/beater: 1990 Nissan 240sx, 5 speed
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I used to own a 2006 Acura RSX Type S (back in 07). I loved that car. Good on gas, fun to drive, good power for a NA 4 cyl, plenty of aftermarket. I fell on very hard times and had to do a voluntary repossession ... sucked. Sometimes I wish I would have chosen a 2011 Civic Si instead of the Focus; they are very similar to the RSX Type S. I don't care much for the 2012+ Si.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I regret repairing my last car instead of junking it. I did love it.. but the idea of repairing a twelve year old car I beat into the ground.. was a mistake.
I blew the differential on my Contour SVT at 100,000mi or so.
Instead of junking it I poured $3,500 into it (did clutch and tranny rebuild)then another $1,500 a year later for a cat and a few bits..
One MORE year later i sold it for $800. as it again needed about $1,500 in repairs.
STUPID.
But at least it went to someone nice who is going to take care of it.
I would have been $5,000 ahead just pushing it to the curb, junking it.

Last edited by Elizabeth; 02-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Not yet..
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
karguy427
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Oh, I regret a lot of 'em.........

'66 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa (turbo)
'69 Ford Thunderbird 4-door landau
'79 Toyota P/U w/ camper
'86 Ford F-350 crew cab (diesel)
'85 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Kevastator
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104674
What I Drive: 01 F150. For now.

FF Reputation: 2 Kevastator Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngotMK3 View Post
Not yet..
Yeah this is me too haha
[Rally Revolution #7]
ASPECT Motorsports
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had a Cherry 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton stepside 4x4 that I really wish I still had. Bought it with 80,000 miles (this was in like 2003-04), zero rust, only a few very minor body imperfections and a perfect interior. It ran beautifully, and looked great with some take off wheel/tires from a Suburban, and even swapped out the bench seat for some buckets and center console (also from suburban). Regular cab, too...which I love in a truck.

Sold it because gas was getting expensive. I don't miss filling it up, but I do miss driving it. I'll probably never find that same truck in similar condition again.
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks