10k service at Ford, or my local mechanic? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Zeeky
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109305
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Zeeky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
10k service at Ford, or my local mechanic?

Quick question for everyone. I have never been in a position where I had a car new enough that I might want to go directly to the dealer to get it worked on. That said, I have a 2012 focus that I picked up just a few weeks ago, and it is now around 10250 miles or so. I want to take it in for a general service check, but I don't know if it is better to take it to a Ford dealer or just a local mechanic I know.

The main concern is pricing. I don't know what all might be covered by the warranty (if anything) when it comes to routine maintenance. However, I have often read about dealers charging wayyyy too much for simple work.

I have a local mechanic I can take it to in order to get checked out, but I would imagine a Ford dealer would know the car better overall (at least in this case with the first year of a redesign). Right now, the main things I want to have checked out are a groaning noise that sometimes happens when I am turning the car pretty tightly, as well as as semi grinding noise when I am applying the brakes in certain situations (mainly while backing up and turning at the same time). Those items aside, I also want a general check of the whole car.

Any thoughts one way or the other?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
the groaning and grinding noise should be covered under warranty ,you can get a coupon for an oil change,tire rotation and inspection at fords owner website http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage for 39.95 minus a 10.00 rebate .as for whether the ford dealer is better thats hard to answer
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Well, I decided to go dealer since it's a little cheaper, and their service manager is great. Depends on dealer, if the dealer you go to is bad, think about switching dealerships or trusting your mechanic.

If you know the mechanic well and trust him, go to him. If he has no idea on the noises/grinding, have your dealer take a look.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
The 10,000 mile service is only an oil change which Ford dealers do pretty reasonably these days, so I'd go there. No warranty question about oil changes plus Ford dealers should be using good quality parts: Motorcraft semi-syn oil and a Motorcraft filter.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Doing the 1st oil change at 3-5k then the rest around 10k - sound normal?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtwagon View Post
10k is a bit long personally. That is the maximum interval permitted by Ford for the 2012+ Ford Focus. I'd recommend 5-7.5k maximum intervals, but as long as you change it at least once a year or every 10,000 miles that is the minimum required for the warranty.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
3-5k for first change is a little late. i'd recommend <2k ideally. then go 6-7k intervals.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfocus View Post
the groaning and grinding noise should be covered under warranty ,you can get a coupon for an oil change,tire rotation and inspection at fords owner website http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage for 39.95 minus a 10.00 rebate .as for whether the ford dealer is better thats hard to answer
What he said

It's pretty good for $39.95 since the dealer uses (should anyway) the factory recommended oil/filters (motorcraft 5W20 semi-syn), top off the fluids and tire pressure, and they rotate the tires too (this is a big plus to me, I hate rotating tires myself but it definitely makes them last longer).

For $39.95, that's pretty good. For $29.95, it's a bargain. It's almost cheaper to let them do it than trying to do it yourself.

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeky View Post
...the main things I want to have checked out are a groaning noise that sometimes happens when I am turning the car pretty tightly, as well as as semi grinding noise when I am applying the brakes in certain situations...
Welcome (again) to the forum, Zeeky!

I recommend going with your Ford dealer because they have factory trained technicians and can accurately diagnose your ride. I want to offer my help for the concerns you listed. So I can assist, please PM me your full name, phone number, VIN, dealer details, and current mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtwagon View Post
svtwagon,

There was already a lot of great advice posted. Be sure to consult the “Scheduled Maintenance” section starting on page 315 of the 2013MY Focus Owner Guide 1st Printing.

To download a free copy of the Owner Guide, go here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfocus View Post
...you can get a coupon for an oil change,tire rotation and inspection at fords owner website http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage for 39.95 minus a 10.00 rebate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdv5 View Post
Well, I decided to go dealer since it's a little cheaper, and their service manager is great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
The 10,000 mile service is only an oil change which Ford dealers do pretty reasonably these days, so I'd go there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
...I'd recommend 5-7.5k maximum intervals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
3-5k for first change is a little late. i'd recommend <2k ideally. then go 6-7k intervals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge Podge View Post
...For $39.95, that's pretty good. For $29.95, it's a bargain. It's almost cheaper to let them do it than trying to do it yourself...
I love seeing the community in action; thanks, guys!

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
10k is a bit long personally. That is the maximum interval permitted by Ford for the 2012+ Ford Focus. I'd recommend 5-7.5k maximum intervals, but as long as you change it at least once a year or every 10,000 miles that is the minimum required for the warranty.
Sounds good, I will do the 1st around 2-2.5K for the break in.

Then do the rest at 7K

----

Did the zx2 at 10K hah but that was all highway.

My GTI is a different story, it gets done around 3-6K

Bookmarks & Social Networks