Why oh why did I upgrade to 3.5.1? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
bassmobile
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95742
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 2 bassmobile Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why oh why did I upgrade to 3.5.1?

Soon after v3.5.1 came out I had my dealer do the upgrade. I was still running with v2.11 which worked fine. Just needed an occasional re-boot. But the early reports on 3.5.1 seemed promising so I went with the upgrade.

Think I goofed

While the system is faster and calls are clearer, the entertainment part is all screwed up!

Using the same SD card that I used with v2.11, all sorts of issues. First, through voice command if I tell it to play genre BLUES, it would start playing Van Halen. While I like VH, they are not blues. But if I do it using the touch screen, it would work.

But the biggest issue is the system is not remembering what I was listening to when I shut the car off. Not happening every time, but enough to be annoying.

Same thing if I was just listening to an album, I would hop in the car and it would default back to playing the same Blues Brothers song. No idea why it keeps going back that particular song.

So, figured I start from scratch. Got me a brand new Sansa USB thumb drive. I went through and made sure all my music was properly in separate folders, checked to make sure the details on all the mp3 files were correct like genre. Basically cleaned everything up.

Well allot good that did me! The system is still doing the same thing

And I think it is getting worse!

Loaded some Beatles greatest hits albums onto the thumb drive, put the thumb back into the car and manually started the re-index process....a number of times. So far the system has yet to start playing at the same point that I turned off the car. I do turn the system off before I turn the car off. It keeps going back to that Blues Brother tune!!

For those who will ask, yes I did a master reset. At least a half of dozen times!

Never, ever, never had that issue with v2.11! So the question stands, was this upgrade worth it?

To Ford, you need to fire your software development staff and hire people that know how to properly de-bug systems!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
mark3inline
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 19701
What I Drive: 04 Wht ZTW

FF Reputation: 3 mark3inline Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
ford sync

Recalls went from 2 to 22 per 100 just because of sync. Released before it was ready, misdealings with development staff, shipped off to Microsft for repair ?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
It seems to be hit or miss with issues on 3.5.1.

I installed it on Saturday and everything is working no problems at all. Voice commands to select songs and albums no issues and all functions are working. The only odd thing was even though all my presets for AM/Fm/Sat were saved they were in different spots.

I haven't noticed any earth shattering WOWs resulting from the upgrade. The real reason I did the upgrade is so I could use Version 4 SD card for the NAV.

One bummer is I lost all my SAT Song ALERTS that I had.....
So far so good 3 days and no issues to speak of with the upgrade to 3.5.1 and Ver 4 NAV.

Last edited by Flybigrc; 02-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Only differences I notice are that my NAV is slightly improved but my BT doesn't always connect, so I have to reboot it with the DelayedReboot thing every so often which requires me to pull over and restart my car if I want BlueTooth to work... which I do. But I don't have to do the "BlueTooth connect dance" that I used to do. But honestly, I'd prefer that.

For me, it's more annoying than 3.2.2 - but I'll live with it until I get a new phone that hopefully plays nice.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
i'm not upgrading anything, ever unless i have a problem and my car is perfect .
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
ThunderKev
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94746
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 ThunderKev Good Standing Member
I wish MFT was customizable. Like being able to move the order of inputs (Instead of having AM on top, move it to the bottom and move BlueTooth Audio up), put them in the order of my favorite I suppose.

MFT sucks anyway. So many better choices out there, makes MFT look so dated and antique. I wish my car didn't have it.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Only differences I notice are that my NAV is slightly improved but my BT doesn't always connect, so I have to reboot it with the DelayedReboot thing every so often which requires me to pull over and restart my car if I want BlueTooth to work... which I do. But I don't have to do the "BlueTooth connect dance" that I used to do. But honestly, I'd prefer that.

For me, it's more annoying than 3.2.2 - but I'll live with it until I get a new phone that hopefully plays nice.
Next time you get the BT issue while driving, try pulling the battery on your phone while it's on. Turn BT off on MFT. Reboot phone, reconnect BT. It works on mine, but I don't have a smart phone.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
i'm not upgrading anything, ever unless i have a problem and my car is perfect .
same with me.. i still have v2.11 mft (may 11 build) and never had a problem w/ it.. my dealer wanted to update it and i said 'absolutely not!" works just fine and don't wanna jinx it.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
HillbillyInBC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85169
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HillbillyInBC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
same with me.. i still have v2.11 mft (may 11 build) and never had a problem w/ it.. my dealer wanted to update it and i said 'absolutely not!" works just fine and don't wanna jinx it.
Good call. I'm repeating myself from various other threads here, but my dealer never ever bothered asking me and just installed the v3 "upgrade". It's been a never-ending source of grief ever since, and I'd pay a substantial amount of money to roll back to v2.11 and thereby get back the car I bought.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyInBC View Post
I'd pay a substantial amount of money to roll back to v2.11 and thereby get back the car I bought.
I agree with you here. Funny, I paid extra for MFT specifically because it had all of these cool features and functions. Ford has continued forward with its policy of "already paid for feature/function removal" and I find myself saying I'd pay even more just to get back what I paid extra for in the first place! Go figure!?!

bassmobile, sorry to hear and unfortunately for all of us there is no going back. We are stuck with a bland, feature/function reduced system not even close to what we paid for. I really, really, really wish Ford would just release a statement along with every new upgrade/update just to let us know in advance yet what else is going to be taken away so we could make an informed decision as to whether or not it is worth it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks