Recommend me some brakes? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Ferrari
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106389
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Ferrari Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Recommend me some brakes?

Hey all, I have a 2001 ZTS that needs a new set of pads and rotors. With a maximum budget of ~$300, what you recommend? I've never shopped for brakes myself before, always had a mechanic do it. Now I've decided I'm going to be my car's mechanic since the last place I went to many months ago charged me $300 for a set of brakes they didn't even put on.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Ferrari
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRich1 View Post
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"
Thanks, didn't see this section.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Im a huge fan of Hawk HPS pads, and Centric Blank rotors.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
the last place I went to many months ago charged me $300 for a set of brakes they didn't even put on.
d'oh! that's Farmington for ya! (just kidding)

if you're looking for stock replacements, I've been happy with Autozone Duralast Gold pads; it's been at least three years since I replaced them and friends who drive my car still mention how well it stops. Just don't buy the rotor there! Spend some cash on a good one.

A couple of other things to keep in mind if this is your first time:
  • the retaining clips on the pads are kinda idiotic, so (assuming they were installed correctly the previous time - mine weren't!) make a mental note of how the old ones are installed before you disassemble them.
  • given the age of your car, inspect the pistons and guide bolt for corrosion and seizing; another sign of a worn caliper is uneven/funky pad wear. Given the age of your car, it's not out of the question that you'll need to replace your calipers with rebuilt ones (I am happy with Autozone's), and if one's bad it's best to replace them both.
  • The caliper mounting bolt has a relatively low lb/ft rating, so it's easy to overtorque/strip it. Don't do that!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Ferrari
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
d'oh! that's Farmington for ya! (just kidding)

if you're looking for stock replacements, I've been happy with Autozone Duralast Gold pads; it's been at least three years since I replaced them and friends who drive my car still mention how well it stops. Just don't buy the rotor there! Spend some cash on a good one.

A couple of other things to keep in mind if this is your first time:
  • the retaining clips on the pads are kinda idiotic, so (assuming they were installed correctly the previous time - mine weren't!) make a mental note of how the old ones are installed before you disassemble them.
  • given the age of your car, inspect the pistons and guide bolt for corrosion and seizing; another sign of a worn caliper is uneven/funky pad wear. Given the age of your car, it's not out of the question that you'll need to replace your calipers with rebuilt ones (I am happy with Autozone's), and if one's bad it's best to replace them both.
  • The caliper mounting bolt has a relatively low lb/ft rating, so it's easy to overtorque/strip it. Don't do that!!!!
Thanks for the information!

I went ahead and ordered the Hawk HPS and Centric parts recommended by SkyPilot. Some searching around on the internet led me to the conclusion those are an excellent combination. Thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
bbcobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88400
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Competition Orange EAP ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bbcobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just ordered a set of rotors and hawk ceramic pads from rotorpros.com for less than 300.00. I have a set on my cobra and they are great quality.

other car: 2004 SVT Cobra Coupe, Screaming Yellow, 2.76/2lb lower...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
bd8134
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105849
What I Drive: FST

FF Reputation: 1 bd8134 Good Standing Member
I have had Hawk HPS pads on 4 different combinations, but I am not impressed. The stopping power is good and they don't kick out too much dust but on 2 cars now the complete pad material has come away from the backing plate. Maybe it is the nasty New England weather but I got no joy from Hawk technical support. I will not use these any more. The pads were maybe 3 years old in each case.
The Satisfied Ceramics did not stop at all, they went back.
The Autozone premium I have used on some of my friends cars.
I recently bought a set of front and rear drilled rotors with ceramic pads from a company in Canada from eBay, about $225 for my wife's WRX. Will sell the car when the Fiesta ST comes to the US, so did not want to spend too much. This was cheaper than anywhere else and I expected to junk the pads. They are actually very good and the rotors are zinc plated also..
Shop around is my suggestion.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
a bit above your price range but i would highly recommend EBC slotted rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads. with good tires my car will go from 120-0 so fast that i damn near leave teeth marks on my steering wheel. i deliberately ride the crap out of the brakes down the mountain on the weekends and abuse the crap out of them by getting up to speed and then braking extremely hard in as quick a succession as i can and i still have NEVER experienced ANY brake fade with these. i am a firm believer in this setup and i will use EBC components for any performance vehicle i ever build for the rest of my life.

i found this setup second hand from a fellow member on this site and paid $500 for the full SVT front and rear brake conversion with the EBC rotors and pads and braided SS lines. i know its a bit above your price range but the extra 2 bills is well worth it in my opinion. shop around a bit and you might luck up and find a smoking good deal like i did. and stick with GOOD NAME BRAND components. alot of drilled and/or slotted rotors out there are notorious for cracking and slinging themselves apart. and another bit of my opinion on brakes. drilled AND slotted is pointless for the focus. one or the other is more than enough to vent enough gas to keep brake fade away. i cannot speak for how well drilled rotors do this but i can say that slotted rotors do a damn fine job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have used both EBC dimple / slotted with Green pads, and Power Slot Rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Like Focusmaniaczx3 said this combination may be a little out the price range. The Power Slot rotors appear to be about $100 a rotor and the HPS pads are bout $80. after shipping you may just be at or a little over the $300.

Best braking would be going with the SVT front and rear set up but may be a little more then what your looking at doing.

Edit: Looks like Summit Racing is doing special on some of these...
"Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Oversize fees also waived on this item. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States."
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)

Last edited by Magus2727; 02-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks