SOHC manual trans in a DOHC car, compatibility ?'s - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SOHC manual trans in a DOHC car, compatibility ?'s

I have another thread in this section about my transmission problem. I was hoping for a bad cv, but it's the transmission itself that is toast. My car is a 2002 zx3 2.0 dohc zetec with a 5 speed manual transmission. I got a transmission from the junkyard but didn't realize until I got it back home that it's from a SOHC 2.0.

I'm trying to figure out if I can make this transmission work with my car. The shift linkage is on the other side of the trans, so I know I would need the SOHC shift cables, but what else would need to be done? Do I need to swap the bellhousing, and can I even swap those bellhousings? My differential has some gears with broken teeth but the bellhousing on my trans is still fine. Can I use the same cv axles from my car with the SOHC transmission? Some say they need to be swapped but I can't find anything definitive.

Also I'm wondering, if I can get it in there, what difference does it have internally? Is it weaker? Is the gearing different?

Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Won't work. Don't even try. Its entirely different. You need an MTX75 and you got an IB5. Take it back to the yard and see if they give you your money back.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

I can exchange it at the yard. But id rather not go through the hassle of pulling another. Are the bellhousings not interchangeable?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Probably not. It doesn't make sense that you don't want to hassle with pulling the correct one but you'd rather hassle with making one fit when they are totally different.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

I already have that trans pulled. It makes perfect sense to me why I would rather not go pull another one if all is needed is to unbolt the bellhousing. The trans may be slightly different but other than the bellhousing which I have read is different, they seem like the same dimensions. I'm asking what's different about them so I can decide whether it will be worth using. I have 3 options, possibly swap bells and use the donor trans, crack both apart and use the donor to repair my trans, or find another junkyard car and remove the trans with no jack. I just want to take the simplest route.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Its much more complicated that just swapping bellhousings, which I don't think anyone has even ever tried to do.

-Does your starter bolt up to it? Or if you got a starter from the junkyard, will it mesh correctly with the flywheel on your car?
-Clutch hydraulic lines and fittings to slave cylinder?
-Shifter cables
-Will your Zetec clutch work with it or does the IB5 have a different spline count/input shaft diameter? Shaft length/pilot bearing/ etc?
-Same axle spline count into the differential? Different axle lengths?

If it was me i'd just go back to the junkyard and exchange it. Its not like the trans is hard to pull...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

I posted this to ask questions, so I don't know why you're asking me. I was hoping someone on here has tried it and has some insight. The transmission isn't the easiest thing to pull, my local junkyards don't allow jacks, and that makes it a pain. More than likely I will but since I already have this one id like to try and find out if it would work. I was surprised the transmission was different at all being they're both 2.0 liter blocks.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
Take your trans back while you still can get a credit on your charge or whatever.

In a wrecking yard a Focus trans is incredibly easy to pull, (after you get the wheels and suspension out) remove the torque mount, remove the trans mount, remove the subframe bolts, and loosen the passenger mount, the whole thing will drop down cockeyed the further and further you loosen the passenger mount - don't completely remove those bolts - and it will give plenty of clearance to get at the rest of the fasteners. Of course you will wreck the passenger mount by letting the whole thing hang off it, but it's probably already shot anyway.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

I've got a one year warranty so the exchange is no problem. What years are interchangeable for the zetec trans? Id like to get the newest one possible that doesn't require alterations.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCus View Post
I posted this to ask questions, so I don't know why you're asking me. I was hoping someone on here has tried it and has some insight. The transmission isn't the easiest thing to pull, my local junkyards don't allow jacks, and that makes it a pain. More than likely I will but since I already have this one id like to try and find out if it would work. I was surprised the transmission was different at all being they're both 2.0 liter blocks.
My questions were to make show you that it isn't just as simple as swapping a bellhousing. And just because both motors are 2.0 liters doesn't automatically make everything compatible either. Entirely different engines and transmissions. Just get yourself the correct trans and save yourself a ton of headache now and in the future.

Bookmarks & Social Networks