Surfaced Head and Adjustable Cam Gears - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105173
What I Drive: Green 2002 Birkin w/2L Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 sdaddy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Surfaced Head and Adjustable Cam Gears

My head has had 0.040" taken off. In timing the cams today, it looks like there is about 5 degrees difference at the cam (about the delta between high and low point in the sprocket) due to the lower height.

Does this sound about right to you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Not sure I am understanding your post. 0.040" off the head is almost indistinguishable when installed. Your tension / idle pulley will make up for the fact that your cams are now 0.040" closer to the crank shaft.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
right, that is not a lot at all infact that's a good mill also when cleaning the matte surface
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Not sure I am understanding your post. 0.040" off the head is almost indistinguishable when installed. Your tension / idle pulley will make up for the fact that your cams are now 0.040" closer to the crank shaft.
Yes, the tension pulley will take up the "slack" from the left hand side (when looking from the front of the engine) but that in turn throws off the cam timing....
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Your timing belt will likely have more flex and adjust in length due to tension and thermal expansion. You should be setting you timing TDC so should still not mater...
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Your timing belt will likely have more flex and adjust in length due to tension and thermal expansion. You should be setting you timing TDC so should still not mater...
Yes, setting timing TDC with cams held with flat tool at the back end. Comes out at 5 degrees ( at the cams) off. Just wanted confirm.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
how did you know you were 5 degrees off?
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
The discussion is a moot point, he probably read the degrees difference on the sprocket markings, irrelevant since the reason for the adjustable sprockets to begin with. You correct with them back to right, or what you want. There is no way to 'confirm' since every engine will be slightly different. The term '5 degrees' also useless unless knowing retard or advance and which one of two cams.

The TDC mark can be useless too since may not be true TDC which needs to be indicated out with a degree wheel. Simply bumping a stop point pin is close but all engines vary there too.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Correct , the best thing to do is get them close with the tools for TDC then use a compression gauge to dial them in closer till you can get to a dyno

Do a compression test , then move one gear 1 mark , if compression goes up go another mark till compression stops going up by moving the gear , if you go Adv. say and get no gain in compression then go the other way , when done with that gear go to the other and do the same thing , this will get you CLOSE but you need to adjust the gears on a dyno or you may leave some power behind

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
sdaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
The discussion is a moot point, he probably read the degrees difference on the sprocket markings, irrelevant since the reason for the adjustable sprockets to begin with. You correct with them back to right, or what you want. There is no way to 'confirm' since every engine will be slightly different. The term '5 degrees' also useless unless knowing retard or advance and which one of two cams.

The TDC mark can be useless too since may not be true TDC which needs to be indicated out with a degree wheel. Simply bumping a stop point pin is close but all engines vary there too.
Yes, you're right. I did mean the degree difference on the sprocket markings when the cam's are aligned via the tool. I checked TDC by using a the measuring end of a caliper on #1 piston and it corresponds to hitting the stop point pin. The adjustable sprocket markings are actually both 6 degrees retarded. I'll start with that and follow Tom's compression advice for the initial tuning.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->