Option Racing exhaust headers - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Stevick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102240
What I Drive: 2001 red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Stevick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Option Racing exhaust headers

I'm thinking about getting Option Racing Headers but my main concern is that I don't know where to put the catalytic converterI noticed that in the pictures it's just headers stright to the flex pipe then muffler then tail pipe if I get the headers and install them and get rid of the catalytic converter will I still be able to pass emissions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,809, Level 73
Points: 12,809, Level: 73 Points: 12,809, Level: 73 Points: 12,809, Level: 73
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
It's header actually. It is the long tube header design that removes the catalytic converter, and if you remove it, you will not pass emissions.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,740, Level 78
Points: 14,740, Level: 78 Points: 14,740, Level: 78 Points: 14,740, Level: 78
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
i dont know what kind of header that is. i have never heard of it and my guess is that the header is garbage. post a link. the best and ONLY header that you should even give any consideration to is the SVT focus header. it is a stock exhaust manifold/header that came factory on the SVT focus and it is the BEST on the market. it WILL net 15whp at least every single time. to put this header on your car you need the SVT header, SVT flex pipe, SVT cat or cat delete pipe (commonly referred to as an off road pipe), SVT dipstick tube unless you are feeling brave enough to bend your stock one into place and running the risk of breaking it, and the SVT power steering line unless you use a BUNCH of header wrap and want to run the risk of eventually getting your stock power steering line very hot and exploding it. it generally runs between $300 and $500 for a complete conversion kit depending on how patient you are to wait on deals. most other long tube headers are lucky to net 5whp and they delete the cat, which is a problem. the ramhorn style headers which keep the stock cat might gain 2whp if even that much. the SVT header still has a cat unless you run a delete pipe which means its still 50 state legal, even in california. they cant say crap out there because it is a FACTORY exhaust manifold.

technically there are ways around passing emissions. you can make an o2 cheater from $10 worth of bits and pieces from radio shack that will fool your ECU into thinking that the cat is still there and functioning properly which will keep it from turning on your check engine light which will get you a pass when you get your car inspected. this will NOT pass inspection if the place is very thorough and does a visual check to make sure you have a cat and/or if they do the snorkel emissions test which is the one where they put a probe in the tail pipe to measure the emissions. another option is to just get a tune which will turn off the rear o2 sensor all together so you dont get an engine light and it will also give you a bit more power and will ensure that your engine is running safely with the mods you add.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Stevick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I know I was useing my phones speak to text I didn't go over my message. But i know it's a stupid stright forword question. But thank you I just wanted to make sure. But i guess ill put the converter right after the flex pipe.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Stevick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
i dont know what kind of header that is. i have never heard of it and my guess is that the header is garbage. post a link. the best and ONLY header that you should even give any consideration to is the SVT focus header. it is a stock exhaust manifold/header that came factory on the SVT fdefineocus and it is the BEST on the market. it WILL net 15whp at least every single time. to put this header on your car you need the SVT header, SVT flex pipe, SVT cat or cat delete pipe (commonly referred to as an off road pipe), SVT dipstick tube unless you are feeling brave enough to bend your stock one into place and running the risk of breaking it, and the SVT power steering line unless you use a BUNCH of header wrap and want to run the risk of eventually getting your stock power steering line very hot and exploding it. it generally runs between $300 and $500 for a complete conversion kit depending on how patient you are to wait on deals. most other long tube headers are lucky to net 5whp and they delete the cat, which is a problem. the ramhorn style headers which keep the stock cat might gain 2whp if even that much. the SVT header still has a cat unless you run a delete pipe which means its still 50 state legal, even in california. they cant say crap out there because it is a FACTORY exhaust manifold.

technically there are ways around passing emissions. you can make an o2 cheater from $10 worth of bits and pieces from radio shack that will fool your ECU into thinking that the cat is still there and functioning properly which will keep it from turning on your check engine light which will get you a pass when you get your car inspected. this will NOT pass inspection if the place is very thorough and does a visual check to make sure you have a cat and/or if they do the snorkel emissions test which is the one where they put a probe in the tail pipe to measure the emissions. another option is to just get a tune which will turn off the rear o2 sensor all together so you dont get an engine light and it will also give you a bit more power and will ensure that your engine is running safely with the mods you add.
Thank you for the information I really appreciate it. but yes I'll go ahead and post the link so you can see the header but I thought I'd post up on this website first because I've had good results with asking people here first. But the option race header in SvT header look the same. They both have the same 4-2-1 design. But I was thinking about getting those and then cutting my catalytic converter in and I'll be in right after the flex pipe if anything.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Stevick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/2...option_racing/
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Fan#: 65000
What I Drive: 01 cd silver 3 door ztec

FF Reputation: 2 sgtsmasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
woooooooow, that is way to much for a header...keep an eye out in the BST section for a used svt header-cat-flex and dipstick and call it good
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
PumkinSvt
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF, 14 Fiesta ST

Points 16,375, Level 82
Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
i have a whole svt header,flex, cat and exhaust for sale.

PM me and Ill give you a good price.

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
thingsidont
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90749
What I Drive: 2001 sterling grey ZX3

Points 465, Level 9
Points: 465, Level: 9 Points: 465, Level: 9 Points: 465, Level: 9
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 thingsidont Good Standing Member
So this is the same this as the FC and OBX 4-2-1 headers. No you cannot run a catalytic converter on these. Even if you were to get one fitted after the header it would be too far away from the engine to get to the right temperature to filter also you would have to run the second 02 sensor after it and plugging one of the wholes in the headers.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,740, Level 78
Points: 14,740, Level: 78 Points: 14,740, Level: 78 Points: 14,740, Level: 78
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
that is NOT the same thing as a SVT header. that is way WAY too much for that header. you would be much better off to do the svt header conversion. otherwise just snag a cheap $100 pos header from ebay cant call it a day because if you're going to waste your money then at least waste as little of your money as possible. while that does not look like a particularly bad design there is still no way its going to outperform the svt header especially when you can get a svt header conversion for around the same price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.