2013 Transmission Grinding - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #51
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
Remember this is not Ford specific info and is very old, but another consideration is the relationship between the sales and service sides, and if the people running that particular dealership look at it as a complete package. If the service shop is under it's own tent and gets nothing from the sales side, they are less likely to care about warranty. Good service has to be driven from the top, the owner of that dealership has to tell the service department that warranty is number 1 priority, and make up for it if warranty screws your monthly numbers or makes a tech light in the wallet for the week.

Also these intermittent issues that don't show up on a scan and can't be reproduced in a 5 minute drive are just huge time and money sinks.

On top of that, warranty customers are the worst to deal with. The guy with 150k on the clock who tossed his tranny on a paid for ride, you're helping him out after he got his monies worth and then some; the guy with 5k on the clock who tossed his tranny that he's been complaining about for weeks, when he just signed off $20k or more, you're the enemy who sold him that POS and that makes the warranty customer hard to assign a tech to sometimes, the really good mechanics will say no, or go down the street if you piss them off one time to many.

Shops are hit and miss on attitude and quality, and a lot of dealerships aren't looking far enough down the road to care about how the shop is perceived, especially when sales are good.
Those are really good points. As you say different dealers may be running in different configurations in terms of their outlook on warranty work.

I don't know for sure but I kind of got the feeling that the tech I dealt with at my dealer had been following this issue and figuring out the best approach to fix it. While I stood by he really pushed the service desk guy to order the parts and get the work authorized (I don't think the service desk guy was that keen on it). I thought maybe the tech was maybe carving out a niche for himself in that if he could get well versed in this issue and fix process he might be able to cash in a bit if he got well practiced doing the clutch assembly changes of which there could be many (sounded like he'd done a couple already). My step son who is a Toyota tech indicated that may well be the case.

Again no offence to the CSR who posts here but this is the kind of issue that I think an empowered CSR could really help out with since it's an issue that occurring to a large number of new owners, it's not a nit pic issue, and though it does not stop the car in it's tracks, if it's not dealt with it's a big repair bill sure to occur not far down the road. There must be some sort of regional management structure that oversees dealerships, that, if the CSR that posts on forums like this could get linked into, it may result in some consistency as to how dealers respond to this type of problem. This would pay off for ford in terms of happy customers and few defections as we are witnessing here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #52
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109743
What I Drive: 2013 Black Hatch Se

FF Reputation: 1 trelaflip Good Standing Member
Just another update. Car is running perfect still. Shifting is much, much smoother and very quiet.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #53
MJBMK3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108942
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 201A

FF Reputation: 1 MJBMK3 Good Standing Member
1200+ miles now, and I haven't heard the grinding recently. Hope this keeps up as we head into warmer weather. >fingers crossed, knocking wood<
Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #54
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
I just got a 2013 Focus Titanium (built 2/2013) last week and it's making the same sounds, all the reports I am finding are confusing some say it's normal due to the Dual Dry Clutch but others I read and see videos of sound like there is some serious grinding going on. Is there anything to be concerned about or is this info correct?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #55
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Read the many threads here about that issue. It's mostly been occurring in 2012s but it seems some 13s have it as well. In my opinion and in the opinion of many others here, it is NOT normal as some dealers are suggesting (let common sense be your guide here and I think you'll agree it's an issue). Many dealers are replacing the clutch assemblies to resolve it but in some cases it's taking some arm twisting. If you run into push back, the Ford Customer service rep who posts here might be able to help.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Well the sound is more apparent if I am light on the throttle on take off, if I am heavier on the throttle I do not hear it as much. Seems like the shifts are taking longer at lower speeds or under lower torque. I just wonder if the sounds is the gears chattering or just the clutch?

I heard some on Youtube, some of the ones posted were 2012, and the sound was very loud and drawn out.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #57
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Well the sound is more apparent if I am light on the throttle on take off, if I am heavier on the throttle I do not hear it as much. Seems like the shifts are taking longer at lower speeds or under lower torque. I just wonder if the sounds is the gears chattering or just the clutch?

I heard some on Youtube, some of the ones posted were 2012, and the sound was very loud and drawn out.
The grinding on mine (12 Titanium) got louder as time went on. When I first got the car I was not sure if I heard it or not and spent time driving near walls with the window down to try to get a fix on it. After one year it was totally obvious and sounded like my aunt's old 57 Ford (she never did learn to properly shift that thing). It would grind the most from 1st to 2nd and when turning left at low speed. There was a bad shift noise (just like the one my aunt used to make - lol!), and a "chattering metal marbles sound" that would occur between shifts when I would accelerate - both absolutely ugly sounds for a new car to make, not to mention sounds that obviously pointed to something bad occurring internally. I had the clutch assembly replaced in November and it's like night and day - no shift noises at all that I can hear. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #58
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
I just got a 2013 Focus Titanium (built 2/2013) last week and it's making the same sounds, all the reports I am finding are confusing some say it's normal due to the Dual Dry Clutch but others I read and see videos of sound like there is some serious grinding going on. Is there anything to be concerned about or is this info correct?
Hi Tubeway Army,

I responded to your post on a different thread but wanted to touch base with you here, too. If you're concerned, a good first stop is the dealership so they can inspect. I can also assist by getting your case escalated. If you'd like to proceed, send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get the ball rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
... If you run into push back, the Ford Customer service rep who posts here might be able to help.
Thanks for the shout-out, Sprint!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #59
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Tubeway Army,

I responded to your post on a different thread but wanted to touch base with you here, too. If you're concerned, a good first stop is the dealership so they can inspect. I can also assist by getting your case escalated. If you'd like to proceed, send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the shout-out, Sprint!

Crystal
Thanks, I will give it till after 1K and then I'll let you know. I don't want to jump the gun just yet.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #60
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Does anyone else notice when you use Select Shift (if you have it) the noise goes away? Mine does, wish it felt that way in D mode.

Bookmarks & Social Networks