2013 Transmission Grinding - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #41
Sprint
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
This is a wise approach, krolholio. Being able to show the service tech exactly what you're experiencing will help them with their diagnosis. Keep us posted on how things go at the dealership!

Crystal
Though demonstrating the issue helps as mentioned here, I fail to see how dealers would not replace clutch assemblies at the first mention of transmission grinding given the overwhelming evidence that the initially installed clutch assemblies on 2012 Foci are faulty. I mean let's get real - they are going to simply confirm a well known and widespread problem and (hopefully) fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
krolholio
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109832
What I Drive: 2013 Black Metallic Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 krolholio Good Standing Member
Sprint-

To be honest, if they can get away with doing no work, try to convince you by telling you that it's "normal," and if you're maybe 70% of the population that just goes away, then they just saved themselves a whole lot of parts and labor (especially if you are still under warranty). No different than I, as an architect, noting that a general contractor needs to do something that was clearly noted in a punch list and they simply let it go so as not to have to perform labor that they can't bill the owner for.

I was a little skeptical when I last dropped my car off - it was late (8PM, and dealer service is open until midnight), and as my ride home was picking me up I thought I saw someone wheel my car into one of their service bays, which probably meant that they didn't even drive it - they just took my verbal on what I was telling them was going on. By 10pm I got a call telling me my car was ready, everything was normal.

I also thought about taking my car to my regular mechanic to have them look at it and give me an honest opinion, but since it's under warranty, I thought I'd let Ford do the work. Maybe this was not the best idea.

Now, I have no idea if this is the previously mentioned clutch problem, but if it is, and it's a known issue, I am really going to be bent.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #43
Sprint
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolholio View Post
Sprint-

To be honest, if they can get away with doing no work, try to convince you by telling you that it's "normal," and if you're maybe 70% of the population that just goes away, then they just saved themselves a whole lot of parts and labor (especially if you are still under warranty). No different than I, as an architect, noting that a general contractor needs to do something that was clearly noted in a punch list and they simply let it go so as not to have to perform labor that they can't bill the owner for.

I was a little skeptical when I last dropped my car off - it was late (8PM, and dealer service is open until midnight), and as my ride home was picking me up I thought I saw someone wheel my car into one of their service bays, which probably meant that they didn't even drive it - they just took my verbal on what I was telling them was going on. By 10pm I got a call telling me my car was ready, everything was normal.

I also thought about taking my car to my regular mechanic to have them look at it and give me an honest opinion, but since it's under warranty, I thought I'd let Ford do the work. Maybe this was not the best idea.

Now, I have no idea if this is the previously mentioned clutch problem, but if it is, and it's a known issue, I am really going to be bent.
As I understand it, Dealers don't lose out on warranty work. Ford pays them for the labor and replacement parts on warranty jobs. In effect, Ford becomes a paying customer to the dealer. Having a dealer refuse to do warranty work makes no sense at all. Any experts here that can comment on this point?

When your car was in the bay, what was done? Did they replace the clutches to resolve transmission grinding? Did it work?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109743
What I Drive: 2013 Black Hatch Se

FF Reputation: 1 trelaflip Good Standing Member
Day three with my car back and all seems good. Highway/heavy city driving and the transmission is quiet as can be.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #45
Twin Greys
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109498
What I Drive: (2) 2013 Sterling Grey Focus SEs

FF Reputation: 1 Twin Greys Good Standing Member
Feeling the Pain

I recently purchaesed 2 Focuses (or is it Foci) and within 2 weeks one of them has developed this issue. I took it to the dealer.. had the Service Manager ride in it with me.. sounded like the front left wheel was about to run away from me. he tried to pull the normal crap on me. I was like ummm not on my second one it isn't. Then he could not or would not relay the information to the tech who was now assigned the task of fixing it. Why did he waste my time to drive his !@#$ around. The car was in the shop 3 days and they call me to say I can get the car "we can't make the noise repeat itself" and closed my ticket... .. do they even try... ugh.. sorry to rant.. but i needed a venting space.

Joined here and within 5 minutes had a good bit of info from the Fanatics. . ty all.. Look forward to reading more threads and hopefully enjoying both my cars soon.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #46
krolholio
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109832
What I Drive: 2013 Black Metallic Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 krolholio Good Standing Member
Sprint-

Don't know if your question was directed at me, but when my car was previously in their service bay, they may or may not have looked/poked around, but essenttially they did nothing (I don't have the service ticket in front of me at the moment). Which is why we keep harping on the dealers telling us some of the noises we're hearing are "normal." That's exactly what I was told when I picked mine up at dealer service the last time. They called me and told me my car was ready about 90 minutes after I dropped it off. I almost want to laugh......almost.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #47
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
As I understand it, Dealers don't lose out on warranty work.
Generally speaking, warranty labor rates are less than book rate. Also there is often a flat or max payment for a certain warranty item.

I don't know the specifics of Ford, but years ago I was in a service shop, and warranty work paid far less and was far more hassle than book work, we hated it. Oil changes were a better money maker.

If your shop is busy and you can make $100/hr on regular work, and $25/hr on warranty work, your shop is losing $75/hr doing the warranty work, plus calling in to authorize an expensive procedure is time consuming and often difficult if the vehicle is still drivable but showing symptoms of a failure that the company rep fails to either believe (thinking that you are trying to milk them) or discounts as an overly picky customer.

I don't know the specifics with Ford these days, but the answer to whether warranty work pays is seen in how the dealer seems to welcome warranty work, isn't it? If they do their best to avoid it and send you on your way, they are not making money on it.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #48
Sprint
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
Generally speaking, warranty labor rates are less than book rate. Also there is often a flat or max payment for a certain warranty item.

I don't know the specifics of Ford, but years ago I was in a service shop, and warranty work paid far less and was far more hassle than book work, we hated it. Oil changes were a better money maker.

If your shop is busy and you can make $100/hr on regular work, and $25/hr on warranty work, your shop is losing $75/hr doing the warranty work, plus calling in to authorize an expensive procedure is time consuming and often difficult if the vehicle is still drivable but showing symptoms of a failure that the company rep fails to either believe (thinking that you are trying to milk them) or discounts as an overly picky customer.

I don't know the specifics with Ford these days, but the answer to whether warranty work pays is seen in how the dealer seems to welcome warranty work, isn't it? If they do their best to avoid it and send you on your way, they are not making money on it.
Thanks for the info - that clarifies why some may resist dealing with this issue, though there must be some incentive to do the work otherwise warranty issues would never be resolved. In my case, the dealer / tech seemed eager to resolve the issue - maybe business was slow so some $ is better than no $. Regardless, these cars have warranties and dealers are obligated to resolve issues like this so I think keeping the pressure on is the correct approach.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #49
Sprint
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolholio View Post
Sprint-

Don't know if your question was directed at me, but when my car was previously in their service bay, they may or may not have looked/poked around, but essenttially they did nothing (I don't have the service ticket in front of me at the moment). Which is why we keep harping on the dealers telling us some of the noises we're hearing are "normal." That's exactly what I was told when I picked mine up at dealer service the last time. They called me and told me my car was ready about 90 minutes after I dropped it off. I almost want to laugh......almost.
I'm starting to think I might have been just lucky to come across a tech at my dealer that seemed to understand the issue, and was motivated to fix it. Without that I may have been left in the same boat of being told somethings normal when it's obviously not.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #50
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Thanks for the info -

Remember this is not Ford specific info and is very old, but another consideration is the relationship between the sales and service sides, and if the people running that particular dealership look at it as a complete package. If the service shop is under it's own tent and gets nothing from the sales side, they are less likely to care about warranty. Good service has to be driven from the top, the owner of that dealership has to tell the service department that warranty is number 1 priority, and make up for it if warranty screws your monthly numbers or makes a tech light in the wallet for the week.

Also these intermittent issues that don't show up on a scan and can't be reproduced in a 5 minute drive are just huge time and money sinks.

On top of that, warranty customers are the worst to deal with. The guy with 150k on the clock who tossed his tranny on a paid for ride, you're helping him out after he got his monies worth and then some; the guy with 5k on the clock who tossed his tranny that he's been complaining about for weeks, when he just signed off $20k or more, you're the enemy who sold him that POS and that makes the warranty customer hard to assign a tech to sometimes, the really good mechanics will say no, or go down the street if you piss them off one time to many.

Shops are hit and miss on attitude and quality, and a lot of dealerships aren't looking far enough down the road to care about how the shop is perceived, especially when sales are good.

Bookmarks & Social Networks