2013 Transmission Grinding - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109743
What I Drive: 2013 Black Hatch Se

FF Reputation: 1 trelaflip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
A commnt for anyone. Whather you order ot buy off the lot you STILL have the right to test drive it, and check it out befor you accept it and sign off on it.
Just saying...
True they may baulk at a pre signing test drive. but they cannot refuse.
I agree and maybe thats the way I should of done it but thats the past and either way I got the issue now. I was ready to return the car since you have 30 days but I trusted the tech that it was just normal and it would go away.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelaflip View Post
I agree and maybe thats the way I should of done it but thats the past and either way I got the issue now. I was ready to return the car since you have 30 days but I trusted the tech that it was just normal and it would go away.
Some DCT owners has no problem and love their cars! But alas some like me and you apparently have issues which seem to go on a deaf ear

I really wouldn't have accepted the car with it making that noise to be honest The best you can do is try to work with your dealer as some have had success in getting theirs fixed. If need you can PM the FORD CS rep and they can set up a CSM call for you, YMMV though in regards to them.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelaflip View Post
I will definitely post up what I find out from the dealer. I really hope they can fix this as the sound is unacceptable...
Welcome to the forum, trelaflip! Because you live in Canada, I recommend calling Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 to speak with one of the great agents for assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomenter View Post
I have the same grinding noise with my 13 SFE. Mine is not as terrible as you described...
fomenter,

Your CSM tried contacting you last week; I made sure you’ll get a follow-up call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow12 View Post
...If need you can PM the FORD CS rep and they can set up a CSM call for you...
I really appreciate the shout-out, snow12.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
MJBMK3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108942
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 201A

FF Reputation: 1 MJBMK3 Good Standing Member
My 2013 is grinding, too. The DCT behaves just fine until I'm in heavy city traffic for awhile, then the 2 - 3 upshift is long, disturbing grind. I don't understand why any clutch engagement would sound like this, and why it only happens under these conditions. If the DCT works and sounds fine when cold, why would grinding when hot be "normal" and how would additional break-in resolve it? What causes the grinding? Can someone provide a mechanical explanation?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
fomenter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107937
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fomenter Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBMK3 View Post
My 2013 is grinding, too. The DCT behaves just fine until I'm in heavy city traffic for awhile, then the 2 - 3 upshift is long, disturbing grind. I don't understand why any clutch engagement would sound like this, and why it only happens under these conditions. If the DCT works and sounds fine when cold, why would grinding when hot be "normal" and how would additional break-in resolve it? What causes the grinding? Can someone provide a mechanical explanation?
I have been looking for the exact same answer, but no luck yet. Service managers claim that "they don't know why the noise appears when hot"..Very frustrating
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,772, Level 38
Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBMK3 View Post
I've yet to see a proper explanation of the rattling (often referred to as grinding) noise but I believe it is directly related to the disengaged clutch that is spinning freely after a "gear shift" (I put gear shift in quotes because the DCT is actually engaging one clutch while disengaging the other).

The conventional wisdom is that this noise is annoying but harmless.

Last edited by Kabigon; 02-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
krolholio
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109832
What I Drive: 2013 Black Metallic Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 krolholio Good Standing Member
I've got @ 4000 mi on my 2013 SE Hatch and first noticed it somewhere between 1500-2000 mi. Took it to the dealer and told them what was going on (mine is not what I would call loud, but even my wife noticed it). Mine actually is louder when accelerating thru a turn to the left than it is when turning right. Was told that it was normal. I'm not sure than something that is normal should show up and just go away.

Fast forward several months, and I don't know if the first issue and this are related, but now I am also noticing a rattle (I'll call it that, but sounds like something is loose underneath, coming from the passenger side) while at highway speed, but only when cruise control is engaged. I had the dealer look at that yesterday as well as my first issue (again), and the response is that they are both normal and nothing is wrong. Hm.
Well, I've got 1500+ miles of driving to do on a road trip over the next 4 days, so I guess we'll be able to tell just how normal this all is.....
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolholio View Post
Fast forward several months, and I don't know if the first issue and this are related, but now I am also noticing a rattle (I'll call it that, but sounds like something is loose underneath, coming from the passenger side) while at highway speed, but only when cruise control is engaged.
Check for rocks on top of your brake / fuel lines, as per this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302938

That was the cause of my rattling at highway speed, though it's independent of cruise control.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,835, Level 32
Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I've yet to see a proper explanation of the rattling (often referred to as grinding) noise but I believe it is directly related to the disengaged clutch that is spinning down after a "gear shift" (I put gear shift in quotes because the DCT is actually engaging one clutch while disengaging the other).

The conventional wisdom is that this noise is annoying but harmless.
After the latest PCM update, I don't get the same noise that I used to get. So maybe it was a "clutch dragging" type of noise where the releasing clutch didn't disengage quick enough or something.

But currently, my car will chatter when I give it gas - worse at low rev speeds. There is also a strange knocking noise. Not engine knock - but like someone is knocking on the door - when I release the brake or if I press the gas quickly and then let off.

Example: If you guys do the "launch start" (or whatever it's called) where you hold down the brake and press the gas, do you hear a knocking noise? I've done it all of about 3 times since I've bought the car, but I realized yesterday that it might help in diagnosing. Maybe I have a bad motor mount? Though, I don't think it does it when I rev it in neutral.

All I know is that my car has been slipping/chattering since 25k miles and all Ford has to say about it is that it's normal.

Noises/Descriptions in manual transmissions:
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/di...tch-noise.html
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109743
What I Drive: 2013 Black Hatch Se

FF Reputation: 1 trelaflip Good Standing Member
Just an update. Took my car to the shop today and the verdict was that some seal on my transmission blew. The mechanic said he seen this happens few times on 2012 models but this is the first time he seen it on a 2013 They are sending the issue to Ford engineers and will let me know what needs to be done. They were not sure if they can do the same TSB they did on 2012 models. Until then I will be driving a rental.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.