Is the climate control normally this noisy? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
jillnova
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115631
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 jillnova Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is the climate control normally this noisy?

The floor setting on my car's climate control seems abnormally noisy, and it doesn't really deliver that much heat to my feet. Is this normal?

I bought the car used, it's a 2012 SE hatch, and we haven't bečn through a winter before together. So just trying to figure out what is normal and what should be fixed.

The panel setting seems nice and quiet, with a good volume of hot air. The floor setting not so much. On that setting it sounds like the air is whooshing around behind the instrument cluster, as if it wasn't being directed into a dedicated air duct. Some heat is coming out of the bottom of the instrument cluster, but a lot must be going somewhere else.

Short of test driving some Foci at the dealership, I am not sure how else to tell what is a normal sound for this setting. Your opinions welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
My car also does this.

It directs a lot of air to the windshield which is annoying as hell because I like my feet warm and my face cold. It's (allegedly) supposed to direct a "small" amount of air to the windshield/front window defrost to reduce fog while driving, but I don't see why I can't just do that myself when the time comes.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnova View Post
The floor setting on my car's climate control seems abnormally noisy, and it doesn't really deliver that much heat to my feet. Is this normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
My car also does this.
Hi jillnova & PratoN,

I recommend visiting your local Ford Dealer if these issues persist. Please let me know the outcome, and I'll look into next steps.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
raehtz10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119802
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 raehtz10 Good Standing Member
Mine does the same thing, 2012 SEL hatch. I chalked it up to a quirk because I am out of warranty and don't want to pay to have it checked. Thankfully I have the heated seats so it isn't as big of a problem, but it is noticeable.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehtz10 View Post
Mine does the same thing, 2012 SEL hatch. I chalked it up to a quirk because I am out of warranty and don't want to pay to have it checked. Thankfully I have the heated seats so it isn't as big of a problem, but it is noticeable.
Hi raehtz10,

If you decide to head to the dealership, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Todd

Old 11-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Also, there were changes made to the dual-zone climate controls. I remember seeing revisions on the fordparts website. For example, I can't turn my rear window defrost on with voice controls, but others can. Perhaps they fixed this quirk somewhere down the line or perhaps we just have defective / improperly assembled parts.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
jillnova
Focus Rookie

Took my car to the dealership today for a quick listen, and the service advisor agreed that whooshing noise coming from under the dash seemed excessive when set to the floor setting. He thought it might be a flapper valve incorrectly adjusted, and they are taking the car tomorrow to try and improve the noise. I will post results here.

Note, the difference between floor, panel and defrost settings is most noticeable at fan setting 2.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Took my car to the dealership today for a quick listen, and the service advisor agreed that whooshing noise coming from under the dash seemed excessive when set to the floor setting. He thought it might be a flapper valve incorrectly adjusted, and they are taking the car tomorrow to try and improve the noise. I will post results here.

Note, the difference between floor, panel and defrost settings is most noticeable at fan setting 2.
Hey there jillnova,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with your dealer on a swift resolution. Please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
jillnova
Focus Rookie

Thanks Todd, I'm going give the dealership a shot at this first - they've been quite conscientious about other repairs.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Thanks Todd, I'm going give the dealership a shot at this first - they've been quite conscientious about other repairs.
You're welcome; keep me abreast of the results.

Todd

Bookmarks & Social Networks