Ford Focus. Time to Escalate the problem!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Scotybo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 178217
What I Drive: 2014 / 2012 Red / Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Scotybo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus. Time to Escalate the problem!!

Hey All,
I've been reading the boards for a while and finally registered because I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2012 Ford Focus and a 2014 Focus. Cars are beautiful and I love the user interface. The problem is the cars drive aweful, just aweful. Now before someone says take it to the dealer let me give some background.

I'll start with the 2012 Focus. It has been to the dealer 4 times for the cruise control. Not because they did not know what was wrong but because it took them 4 times to get a computer to tell them. Even when there was a service advisory out. At that time the service tech said he feels a slip in the clutch and wanted to do a software update. I did not feel a problem but I though he was being proactive and I let him do an update. Once that happened the car ran just aweful. Grind after grind. Shutter after shutter. I took it to another dealership, the one I bought my 2014 from and the same thing. There is nothing wrong. Finally 6 months after dealing with the problem I take it back to the original dealership about 50-60 miles from my house and bam new clutch. About 500 miles into the new clutch grind, grind, grind. This leads into the problem with the 2014 Focus.

As soon as the 2012 got the clutch replaced I was like finally great working cars. Then our 2014 started shuttering. Only a little over 3000 miles. Took it to the dealership that I bought it from and bam new clutch. I picked it up today to find grease all over my interior and a clutch that grinded on the way home. On the way home from the dealership after have a clutch replaced!!

Our 2012 does not even have 12000 on it yet and our 2014 has only 4000. I am ready to sell them both just to get out from under them. We did our research and test drove several cars. We liked these the best and we did not start to have major problems until we bought the second.

Now I am not even going to talk about the piss poor and I mean piss poor customer service and damage that has been done to one of our cars from the dealerships. Ford should be ashamed of themselves. First off after today I will never and I mean never buy another Ford product. These two are my first and last. As much as the cars have everything that I am looking for I feel like I have been screwed. I will be contacting the the BBB in our state, as well as the local TV station, and a Lemon Lawyer. I have been in and out of the dealership for almost two years and I have had it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really love everything about the focus except for the crappy grinding and shifting. If there is anyone on here that can offer any assistance before I get into an ugly battle and loose a great deal of money please let me know. I just feel as if I have been really taken advantage of.

Thanks All.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 5,882, Level 49
Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to the MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive with all the other clutch grinding threads.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,935, Level 63
Points: 8,935, Level: 63 Points: 8,935, Level: 63 Points: 8,935, Level: 63
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
You may have missed this thread that gives more info on the most common problem:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411722

And in the last couple days the info. just came out on extending clutch/seal/programming warranty to 7 yr., 100,000 mi..

Dealers are independent businesses (required by law in some places) with a great range between good & bad. Most take pains these days to avoid things like dirty seat/floor from service with paper floor mats & plastic seat covers.

Any service procedure not done quite right could leave things worse, but see how it goes with the '14 as I've seen notes on a beak in period after replacement - some don't seem to need it while others take a while to work right after service.

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 632, Level 12
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
You are not the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotybo View Post
... with the 2012 Focus ... the service tech said he feels a slip in the clutch and wanted to do a software update. I did not feel a problem but I though he was being proactive and I let him do an update. Once that happened the car ran just aweful. Grind after grind. Shutter after shutter. I took it to another dealership, the one I bought my 2014 from and the same thing. There is nothing wrong. Finally 6 months after dealing with the problem I take it back to the original dealership about 50-60 miles from my house and bam new clutch. About 500 miles into the new clutch grind, grind, grind. ...

... Then our 2014 started shuttering. Only a little over 3000 miles. Took it to the dealership that I bought it from and bam new clutch. I picked it up today to find grease all over my interior and a clutch that grinded on the way home. On the way home from the dealership after have a clutch replaced!!

Our 2012 does not even have 12000 on it yet and our 2014 has only 4000. I am ready to sell them both just to get out from under them. We did our research and test drove several cars. We liked these the best and we did not start to have major problems until we bought the second.

... the cars have everything that I am looking for I feel like I have been screwed. I will be contacting the the BBB in our state, as well as the local TV station, and a Lemon Lawyer. I have been in and out of the dealership for almost two years and I have had it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really love everything about the focus except for the crappy grinding and shifting. If there is anyone on here that can offer any assistance before I get into an ugly battle and loose a great deal of money please let me know. ...
If you would enjoy either car with a manual transmission there's this possibility:
Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap > Mk3 Manual Transmission Swap

Any prior discussions about doing this concluded that "it can't be/should not be done" but Bliky proved all of us naysayers wrong. He might have a good idea how much it cost him, but if you would not up to doing the work yourself then it might be hard to find an independent mechanic to do the job well. Unfortunately, finding one who would totally mess it up would be easy. A Ford dealer would be more likely to have someone with the right skills and knowledge but I doubt they would do the job at all, let alone for a reasonable price.

Anyway, if you could get an idea how much it would cost then you could compare that to what it will cost you to get rid of the car and replace it with something else. (x2 in your case) Just skim the threads about DCT problems for names of the users like Strix and mr_cassandra who have gone that route. They'd be able to give you an idea how expensive that will be. You can also find discussions about pursuing a lawsuit with a bit of searching.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Scotybo
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the info. I think we are at the point of just trading it in and hoping to get what we owe on it at least and starting over. I hate to do that but we are just tired of the back and forth. Our 2012 is acting up really bad again which leads me to believe that there is something more than just the clutch. I really don't think I'm gonna wait to give ford another chance on this one. Our 2014 is awesome. I have only heard one sound out of it since we had the clutch replaced and that was on day one. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Any recommendations. I really love the focus and the features, but with the 2012 model I'm waiving the white flag.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Scotybo
Focus Rookie

You know I have to say I am really surprised that a ford service rep has not replied here offering assistance. I really guess Ford does not want any more of my business.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
lowflyn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76353
What I Drive: 12 Sonic Blue SE 5Dr

Points 181, Level 3
Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 lowflyn Good Standing Member
So I'm going to ask the obvious question here. If you were having so many problems out of your 2012 why did you buy a 2014 also?

90 Mustang LX Vert - "7up"
04 Mustang GT - Stockish
94 Mustang V6 Vert - Broke
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Scotybo
Focus Rookie

We started having major problems with our 2012 after we bought the 2014. We really liked the featurs and the interface. It started bout 2 weeks after we bought our 14 and its been a headache since.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
TooOld
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

Points 1,215, Level 19
Points: 1,215, Level: 19 Points: 1,215, Level: 19 Points: 1,215, Level: 19
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Terrible they got grease on the interior of the vehicle. Take pictures and send to dealer general manager in both email and postal mail.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
... I have a 2012 Ford Focus and a 2014 Focus...

I'll start with the 2012 Focus. It has been to the dealer 4 times for the cruise control... I let him do an update. Once that happened the car ran just aweful. Grind after grind. Shutter after shutter. I took it to another dealership, the one I bought my 2014 from and the same thing. There is nothing wrong. Finally 6 months after dealing with the problem I take it back to the original dealership about 50-60 miles from my house and bam new clutch. About 500 miles into the new clutch grind, grind, grind...

Then our 2014 started shuttering. Only a little over 3000 miles. Took it to the dealership that I bought it from and bam new clutch. I picked it up today to find grease all over my interior and a clutch that grinded on the way home...

Our 2012 does not even have 12000 on it yet and our 2014 has only 4000. I am ready to sell them both just to get out from under them...

I will be contacting the the BBB in our state, as well as the local TV station, and a Lemon Lawyer...
Quote:
You know I have to say I am really surprised that a ford service rep has not replied here offering assistance. I really guess Ford does not want any more of my business.
Hi Scotybo,

We recently transitioned this forum over from Trisha to myself, and I was out of the office sick yesterday.

Once you contact the BBB and/or a lawyer, I am unable to assist.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks