2013 Transmission Grinding - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109743
What I Drive: 2013 Black Hatch Se

FF Reputation: 1 trelaflip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Transmission Grinding

Hey everyone! Forgive me if this has been brought up in the past but I did some searching and seems like I can only find posts in regards to 2012 models.

I picked up my 2013 Focus Se (Auto) in September. Driving it off the lot I could hear this grind and notice gears slipping. I was quite surprised so I turned around and went back to the dealer. They advised me its normal and the dual clutch system will break in. A month later it was still doing it, so I took it back and they assured me again it was just the car breaking in.

Now February and 14,000Km (about 8700 Miles) on the car I notice this grinding and gears slipping to be even worse. It seems to happen in lower gears when starting off from a light or making turns. Happens in [D] and [S] mode. It's to the point I have to turn the stereo up just to not hear it. The sound is terrible to be honest.

I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get the car looked at again but I'm worried they will just tell me that's the nature of the beast. Just curious if other 2013 owners are having the same issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelaflip View Post
Hey everyone! Forgive me if this has been brought up in the past but I did some searching and seems like I can only find posts in regards to 2012 models.

I picked up my 2013 Focus Se (Auto) in September. Driving it off the lot I could hear this grind and notice gears slipping. I was quite surprised so I turned around and went back to the dealer. They advised me its normal and the dual clutch system will break in. A month later it was still doing it, so I took it back and they assured me again it was just the car breaking in.

Now February and 14,000Km (about 8700 Miles) on the car I notice this grinding and gears slipping to be even worse. It seems to happen in lower gears when starting off from a light or making turns. Happens in [D] and [S] mode. It's to the point I have to turn the stereo up just to not hear it. The sound is terrible to be honest.

I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get the car looked at again but I'm worried they will just tell me that's the nature of the beast. Just curious if other 2013 owners are having the same issue.
They most likely will tell you its normal I think you are one of the first 2013s I have read of doing this.

Good luck!...still working on getting mine fixed
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

I will definitely post up what I find out from the dealer. I really hope they can fix this as the sound is unacceptable. It's like nails on a chalk board :|

I hope other 2013 owners chime in.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Quote:

I little bit of a clutch coupling noise its normal specially after long drives. Even a bit of shudder after long time in heavy traffic is normal. I've driven more than 10 focus (moslty 2012s and 2 or 3 2013s)mostly rentals and they all behave the same. Enjoy your car don't let what you read here bother you.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Drove it off the lot? Why didn't you test drive BEFORE you signed the deal?
If I was trying a car and it sounded like that. no way would I have bought it.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
fomenter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107937
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fomenter Good Standing Member
Quote:

I have the same grinding noise with my 13 SFE. Mine is not as terrible as you described, but you hear it unless the radio is turned off. The dealer claims that it is the normal behavior of the power shift transmission. It is quite annoying...
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Good info powermax. I do commute about 45 minutes everyday. As soon as I get into the city and start going with the flow of traffic that is when it all starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Drove it off the lot? Why didn't you test drive BEFORE you signed the deal?
If I was trying a car and it sounded like that. no way would I have bought it.
My car wasn't on the lot for the test drive as the Ford dealer had to order it in for me. I test drove the same model though which didn't have the same issues.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
A commnt for anyone. Whather you order ot buy off the lot you STILL have the right to test drive it, and check it out befor you accept it and sign off on it.
Just saying...
True they may baulk at a pre signing test drive. but they cannot refuse.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
A commnt for anyone. Weather you order ot buy off the lot you STILL have the right to test drive it, and check it out befor you accept it and sign off on it.
Just saying...
I definitely test drove a different car the first time I went down to the dealer, but only for a couple of miles as they were trying to have me look at one they already had in stock. However, I made sure to drive the car I ordered after it arrived before signing the paperwork and agreeing to pick it up.

It doesn't make sense to buy a car that you've never driven, at least when it was new. Now my previous car was a 5 speed manual and I didn't know how to drive it when I bought it, so I brought my father with me to test drive it, and then I drove it home after a brief lesson, but that was a $650 14+ year old car at the time.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Quote:
Good info powermax. I do commute about 45 minutes everyday. As soon as I get into the city and start going with the flow of traffic that is when it all starts.

My car wasn't on the lot for the test drive as the Ford dealer had to order it in for me. I test drove the same model though which didn't have the same issues.
Would have to be a really long test drive to get it to make the clutch coupling noise.

Bookmarks & Social Networks