Oil cach can - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Oil cach can

Hey guys I'm looking for some input on oil catch cans.

I used to run one with check valve by boomba for my SRT and I have the jbr on my st3 and I want to run one on my Daily focus. I wanted to know if anyone knows a good spot to mount one and what the pressure is in the pcv line so I can order a proper rated check valve?

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.

Last edited by Creative; 02-11-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
thehun
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102696
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 thehun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Are you losing oil?

5-Speed Manual
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
I've found it more beneficial to use an engine lubricant with super low NOACK volatility. This coming from a guy who has used catch cans on his high horsepower cars for years.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
PatticusFinch
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103363
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 PatticusFinch Good Standing Member
@thehun He owns both an SE and an ST (Turbo variant). A "catch can" is typically used on turbo cars to catch vapors and I guess oil mist that are emitted from the PCV valve/crankcase into the catch can where it further condenses the gases (this condensing traps the left over oil and other good stuff in the catch can rather then it going back into the intake to get burned off). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I was told/learned they did.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Yup I used to run one on my Speed6. They are great buuuuuut there are some things to consider:

There was a big overhaul to the valve cover design for the Mazdaspeed3 to make the valve cover breather tube closer to the turbo inlet pipe to increase pressure, evacuation. A lot of users were burning oil at idle due to improper manifold pressure, issues with turbo oil seals causing the car to suck up more oil in the intake path and also for oil to get past the turbo and get burnt in the exhaust.

Ideally, if you could put an OCC inline and not mess with the pressure you'd be golden. Not a bad idea but there has been a lot of man hours to make sure the car non boosted performs properly in relation with the pcv valve and valve cover breather.

Bookmarks & Social Networks