Repairing/Replacing Driver's Seat - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
DBrianMorgan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79659
What I Drive: 2003 White LX

FF Reputation: 1 DBrianMorgan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Repairing/Replacing Driver's Seat

Hullo, I'm needing a bit of advice. I will preface this with the disclaimer I am not much of a car person, but I am the kind of person who isn't going to pay a dealership for something I can do myself.

My driver's side seat has recently broken. I'm a big guy (400lb+) and one day when leaning back against the chair with my right shoulder, there was a popping sound, and ever since it is leaning back on that side. Rather than the seat's back being straight at shoulder level, the right side leans back. I'm assuming I broke some kind of framework.

I'm not sure if I am going to have to replace the seat, or if there is some kind of repair that could be done. I'm also not sure if there is a way to remove the upholstery/seat cover without damaging/destroying it to investigate exactly what damage I've done.

Would anyone be so kind as advise me how I should proceed? This is for a 2003 Ford Focus LX (4 door sedan). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Obocecha
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28484
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow ZX3

Points 1,641, Level 23
Points: 1,641, Level: 23 Points: 1,641, Level: 23 Points: 1,641, Level: 23
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 15 Obocecha Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You should be able to remove the padding and material to get at the metal frame. Honestly, it's probably easier to just check local salvage yards for a good seat and just swap it out.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Northms
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 78623
What I Drive: 02 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Northms Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey, I actually had the same exact thing happen to my drivers seat about 4 months ago. Though it is fixable, its going to be easier and cheaper to just replace it.
If you want, you can replace just the seat back, but its kind of a pain, and much easier to replace the whole thing. Any local junk yard will have a seat for you, I found new ones in the 250.00 range, while the yard got me one for just 75.00, and it was in good shape too. The seat back from any focus will work, but try to find one of the same year, that way the harness beneath it is the same and you can use the whole seat (saves you a lot of work).

the replacement is fast and easy, just slide the seat all the way up, get in from the back seat and you will see 2 bolts holding the seat in, takes a pretty big torx bit, hard to miss. Then after taking those 2 bolts out, slide the seat all the way back, and in the front there are 2 more bolts in the front (these should have a plastic cover over them, but it comes up easily) once those are out, lift the seat a little and detatch the wiring harness, and pull the seat out the front door.

installation is same in reverse order. should only take 10-15 min.

just be sure to tighten those 4 bolts down as hard as you can, having the seat come loose while driving will lead to absolute mayhem on the road.

if you can't find a seat with the same harness, let me know and I gave give instructions on taking off and replacing just the seat back.

good luck
Sedan Revolutoin #103
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
DBrianMorgan
Focus Rookie

You are a scholar and a saint, thank you so much! I talked to a local junkyard that thinks they have one around 95 bucks, and the local Pull-A-Part just got my exact model in about 2 weeks ago, I'm going to check 'em both out and snag the one that works. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
rk578
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80616
What I Drive: 2007 Charcoal SE

FF Reputation: 1 rk578 Good Standing Member
My brother broke the right side post in my seat and I cannot find a replacement seat that is the same style as mine (tow-tone Grey) anywhere so I can replace it. Does anyone have an idea where I can find one?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
Kauai Guy
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk578 View Post
My brother broke the right side post in my seat and I cannot find a replacement seat that is the same style as mine (tow-tone Grey) anywhere so I can replace it. Does anyone have an idea where I can find one?
If you can't find a matching seat, just grab any old seat and swap the seat back and the material.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
jcer93705
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69063
What I Drive: charcol grey ford fucus 2003 sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jcer93705 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai Guy View Post
If you can't find a matching seat, just grab any old seat and swap the seat back and the material.
Is it easy?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
jcer93705
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69063
What I Drive: charcol grey ford fucus 2003 sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jcer93705 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrianMorgan View Post
Hullo, I'm needing a bit of advice. I will preface this with the disclaimer I am not much of a car person, but I am the kind of person who isn't going to pay a dealership for something I can do myself.

My driver's side seat has recently broken. I'm a big guy (400lb+) and one day when leaning back against the chair with my right shoulder, there was a popping sound, and ever since it is leaning back on that side. Rather than the seat's back being straight at shoulder level, the right side leans back. I'm assuming I broke some kind of framework.

I'm not sure if I am going to have to replace the seat, or if there is some kind of repair that could be done. I'm also not sure if there is a way to remove the upholstery/seat cover without damaging/destroying it to investigate exactly what damage I've done.

Would anyone be so kind as advise me how I should proceed? This is for a 2003 Ford Focus LX (4 door sedan). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
So what happend?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
DBrianMorgan
Focus Rookie

Well, I just managed to replace the seat yesterday, and it's created a whole new problem. The seat I was sold is not a perfect match. The wiring harness on the new seat does not match the old one. The old one was five square plugs arranged in an upside down U. This one is 4 of those 5 plugs, with the 5th one being a little further down and to the right of the old one.

My airbag light is now on, and the dealership tells me I've disabled the airbag and seat belt sensors. I dont' midn the sensor, I can disable that anyway to my understanding. The airbag is a bigger problem. I'm trying to get rid of this car, I've had nothing but trouble with it and hate the thing. But I'm not going to be able to trade it in with an irrepairable airbag. The dealership service advisor basically told me they couldn't know without looking at it, and even then weren't sure they'd try it because they don't want to be sued if the airbag doesn't deploy down the road.

I MIGHT have a solution, the wires from whatever car this seat was removed from were still attached. Does anyone know if it would be possible to change out that wiring harness? If not, is there a way to disable the air bag light? I really need some way to to get this car sellable, legitmately. Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
Davey Boy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78161
What I Drive: 03 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Davey Boy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrianMorgan View Post
Well, I just managed to replace the seat yesterday, and it's created a whole new problem. The seat I was sold is not a perfect match. The wiring harness on the new seat does not match the old one. The old one was five square plugs arranged in an upside down U. This one is 4 of those 5 plugs, with the 5th one being a little further down and to the right of the old one.

My airbag light is now on, and the dealership tells me I've disabled the airbag and seat belt sensors. I dont' midn the sensor, I can disable that anyway to my understanding. The airbag is a bigger problem. I'm trying to get rid of this car, I've had nothing but trouble with it and hate the thing. But I'm not going to be able to trade it in with an irrepairable airbag. The dealership service advisor basically told me they couldn't know without looking at it, and even then weren't sure they'd try it because they don't want to be sued if the airbag doesn't deploy down the road.

I MIGHT have a solution, the wires from whatever car this seat was removed from were still attached. Does anyone know if it would be possible to change out that wiring harness? If not, is there a way to disable the air bag light? I really need some way to to get this car sellable, legitmately. Any thoughts?
You could make a new harness since you have all the wiring, but I haven't done that ever. Its pretty straight forward and should be a tutorial on here somewhere. I'll try to find it later tonight if I remember when I get home.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.