Tv's - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Gaming Fanatics

Gaming Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest video games, cheats, strategies and consoles.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
lolplasma get out of here with that noise
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Hey, check the reviews and comparisons from around the net, the viewing angles, black levels, and picture quality of plasma can't be beat. But as for plasma running 10 hour static images, panel thickness, glare/brightness concerns, and energy consumption, eh not so much.

I couldn't be happier with my 42" Panasonic Viera TC-P42GT25.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Fan#: 65000
What I Drive: 01 cd silver 3 door ztec

FF Reputation: 2 sgtsmasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
im good with plasma ive heard and read nothing that great about them, so i guess itll be up me to decide led or ccfl (which i have no idea what that means) lol
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I loved my Samsung 51" plasma at first but it only took about a year before I started getting image retention. When the screen was all white there were streaks of color permanently in the panel.

Plasma is hands down the best picture/color presentation, but it's not worth it. The whole time I had mine, I couldn't enjoy it because I was always trying to keep track how long a certain thing had been on the screen. It was hard to enjoy football games because I was worried about the ticker on the bottom. Couldn't enjoy video games because I was worried about the HUD.

Even with the constant worry, I ended up selling it for cheap because of the streaking that had started and getting my LED.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Another thing I like about my LCD is I can sit directly beside the tv and still see the picture completely clear. No matter where I sit in the room I can see it just a clear as if I'm sitting in front of it.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
swansong
Focus Addict

I'm two years in on my plasma and IR issues yet. I have all anti-retention settings at max, and I never keep a static image on for more than about 3 hours, which is about my attention span limit anyway lol. IR and burn-in used to be a real problem with plasma, but the modern ones should be able to handle it unless you display a static image for HOURS on end. Then it's just user error.

That said, I'd love to pick up an LED for a second TV, if it's bigger than the plasma then it becomes the main cable-watching TV and the plasma becomes the bedroom/movies/games TV. If it's smaller, the reverse will be true lol. Didn't feel strongly enough about this last Black Friday's offerings to pull the trigger.

Really the plasma/LED/LCD debate changes depending on usage, size requirement, price, and personal preference. Any given technology can outperform another if a high-end enough model is pitted against a lower one. It's tough to find that "perfect" TV that meets all of your needs the best. My rules of thumb are to avoid 720p, avoid no-name brands, bigger is always better, and research the heck out of every option before buying.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wouldn't completely "avoid" no name brands, but do your research first. Just because you haven't heard of a name doesn't make it bad.

I got some flak for buying a 'no name' TV but I did my research... TCL is the 4th largest manufacturer of TV's in the world (Selling over 10 million units as recently as 2011) and they bought out RCA's TV division. I'm good with my 'no name' TV because the parts and manufacturing are exactly the same as what someone else would've paid a premium for under a different name.

Every famous brand in the world started as a no-name brand.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
swansong
Focus Addict

Good point, it can be said that Vizio was one a no-name and crap brand, but they've turned into one of the best TV makers out there. I've always wondered about TCL as I see them all over Amazon.

Maybe by "no-name" I intended to mean "name-with-bad-reputation". You know: Westinghouse, Dynex, Emerson, etc. The problem may not be with the actual quality of the product, but rather the support you get when it goes wrong. The big names have a better technical service and a track record of taking care of support claims, and usually have less occurrences of dead-on-arrival or short-life units.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I agree mine is Sharp. If you look online you'll find tons of complaments on their customer service.

I can concur. My tv developed a blue line on the left side, going from top to bottom. Didn't hurt anything, tv worked fine it just had a blue line about a milli wide. I called them great people, they had me email them pics of the line on differnt screens and while the tv was doing differnt tasks. They email me a list of what they wanted. With in a four hours after I emailed them the got back to me and said they would replace the tv free of charge. They said they usually send out a tech guy to try to fix the problem but that didn't look like something they had seen before. They ask for the location to where I bought the tv, which was BestBuy the called got me another and paid to have it delivered. They gave me the choice to get one from them which would take a couple weeks, or see if best buy had one in stock. Took three days, I would do buiness with them any day. Plus not only started my warranty over they extended it 6 months.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #30
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Fan#: 65000
What I Drive: 01 cd silver 3 door ztec

FF Reputation: 2 sgtsmasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
nice, you had some good service and good luck also...

yea i bought a 42" vizio from walmart and when i got it home that day i tried using 1 of the 3 hdmi hookups for the ps3 and hdmi1 didnt work hdmi2 did and hdmi3 only goes to 720p so i rarely ever use that one. i could have brought it right back and exchanged it, but it took forever to get in and out of my car and i was just plain to lazy cause the hdmi2 worked great...
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->