Engine Mounts and what to do... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
OrangePeel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109758
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 OrangePeel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Engine Mounts and what to do...

Hey all, new but long time fanatic here.

I recently got my Focus back from my brother in-law in Texas and it seems the rear motor mount is giving in. Last time he went in for an oil change he had it checked out and that was the specific mount that they told him to change.

My question is a two-parter,

1. Would it be a HUGE difference in vibration (from what I am feeling now) with the car in its current state to replacing the mount with a FSWerks PolyMount?

Specifically this one.
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/f...ec-svt-duratec

If it isn't much of a difference in vibration from the broken mount, should I just replace all the mounts at the same time? The car has 93,000 Miles on the engine.

2. How hard is it to change the mount myself with a friends help?

He and I have experience in most everything to do with a car but have never done a mount swap. We have tons of tools and his pops has an engine hoist if needed. Didn't really think to ask his dad, but I felt it would be best to ask all of you here on the forums. :D

-Tochi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
1: Vibrations will be there. However if its better or worse than it is now depends on how bad the mount actually is. When I had my Focus, the vibrations when I did the poly mount didn't bother me at all.

What you will really like is how much better it is to drive the car. It really holds the engine still, keeping it from rotating as much during on and off throttle action and during shifting. Just feels much more connected. I loved the mod.

2: Its not hard. A basic socket set, jack/stands, and maybe a prybar is all you need. Prybar to possibly pry the motor a bit one way or another to get the mount in and out. A piece of pipe would do the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
OrangePeel
Focus Enthusiast

That sounds like I will be ordering it tonight! I'll keep you updated and I'll see about taking a series of DIY pics for a log. :)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

Points 50,141, Level 100
Points: 50,141, Level: 100 Points: 50,141, Level: 100 Points: 50,141, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
lower mount is a good mod
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK302 WHP 274 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
OrangePeel
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, I placed the order with FSWerks for the rear mount and I also got the Lower Front Stabilizer bar so I dont have to do that later.

Maybe next month or so I'll do the Upper Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars at the same time.

Selling my current computer to fund a new mobile PC I'll use for live music, I might make it plug and play with a monitor in the car. But, if I have any extra funds left over I'll see about a Sport Lowering Kit too. :D
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,378, Level 57
Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I'd save your funds and not buy front/rear stabilizer bars (or lower front for that matter.) They will not make a huge difference one way or another. Especially if the rest of your suspension is stock, dont bother. The front strut towers are essentially attached to the fire wall, so its not really going to flex much. As for the rear bar, again not much of an issue.

Save your funds for a new shocks/struts and better springs, it will be a much better improvement. Same for stickier tires and/or lighter wheels. After that, then look into sway bars; our cars respond really well with a 21-22mm front and rear sway bar.

Welcome to the forum... you should enjoy the stiffer lower engine mount, great mod!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
OrangePeel
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcome ramble. :)

Well the order is already on its way, but either way I want to complete all suspension, tires/wheels and brakes before I do anything else to the vehicle. First goal is Handling for me, and then safety. The entirety of the suspension should be done by Christmas and I should be getting my wheels and rubber by then as well. Next years project will be a brake upgrade and engine work.

Before I start any engine work I may try and buy an ST 2.3 /Duratec for a swap. And possibly look into a better auto tranny for it as well.

This is a long time project I've been waiting on and once my wife gets a new car in the next few years I plan on running autocross for fun.

Thanks guys!

-Tochi
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
prextacious
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108587
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 prextacious Good Standing Member
Brakes are a tremendous help in feeling confident with the car. I did Hawk HPS pads on NAPA rotors with new brake fluid and the brake feel was much improved and the car stopped SO much faster than with the cheap replacements Midas put on before I took ownership of the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.