Service Time. Brand Recomendations - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Lecky
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102721
What I Drive: Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec, Blue, 1999

FF Reputation: 1 Lecky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Service Time. Brand Recomendations

Hi guys.

What brands are you guys all using?

Looking into doing the full Oil filter Fuel, Air, Pollen and spark plug change so I know its tip top as I haven't changed any since buying the car.

With the Originals here costing 52 excluding vat and delivery

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford...5003_c_406.htm

Having a look around ebay there are some great Service Kit deals but I'm worried about buying inferior parts to the originals.

Anybody recommend any Brands to look out for with these kits so I know I'm buying decent quality.

a few examples:

FRAM Filters

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SERVICE-KI...912afdb&_uhb=1

MEHR Filters

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus...245d846&_uhb=1

Or anybody recommend me with what there using

Cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
ManiacalZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6111
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ManiacalZX3 Good Standing Member
I just buy the factory replacement parts unless thay are no longer avalible. I know they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. But to be honest most big name filters should be fine as long as your replace them at regular intervals like 30k miles. I have personally heard stories about fram oil filters from my mechanic friends but I stick with motorcraft/autolite parts. One exception to the oem parts is the front sway bar links since they go bad soo often they may as well be regular service parts. 150k miles on my Focus, running like new and I only use Ford parts (except sway bar links) so thats proof of good parts to me.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
i use Purolator for oil filters and I drive out of my way to get them. Around here Fram and Purolator are the 2 brands that are sold through the discount houses with most places selling Fram. But if you look here:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

you will notice that the Fram oil filters pictured all use cardboard end caps. The Purolator and most others (like Motorcraft) use steel end caps.

For the rest of the filters like the air filter I just buy whatever is cheapest. But these filters are completely exposed not sealed in a can like an oil filter. So it is easy to see when the manufacturer is cheating with inferior components. The Fram air filters and the Fram oil filters for motorcycles that are exposed are identical to the competition in construction. So I buy those.

For your Zetec just get the Motorcraft plugs. And make sure after installing your plugs to check the torque on them a few days later to make sure one of them hasn't loosened up.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
They let you change your own oil in the UK? Heh, now that's interesting.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Lecky
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102721
What I Drive: Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec, Blue, 1999

FF Reputation: 1 Lecky Good Standing Member
Thanks Guys.

Will probably go with the Ford one as it is designed for the car and like ManiacalZX3 said 150,000 mile and still going strong they must be doing something right.

Was tempted with the Purolator one but still not done it yet so might give it ago still

Bookmarks & Social Networks