Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center

Ford Focus Purchasing Center Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
2526b
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109623
What I Drive: Used car

FF Reputation: 1 2526b Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus?

New here.

Owned a new 2008 Focus SE Audiophile / Sync package from 2008 - 2011, 4 door sedan. No issues, loved it.

Looking to purchase 2012 Titanium or 2013 SE and am unable to obtain a price from ANY dealer. I am unsure if this is a new dealership "strategy" but in 2008, I did 99% of my legwork through the internet / email.

All I receive are "form letter" email responses about "when can you come in" and "we can beat any rate..." etc. I've been to one dealership in person, and I still could not get any figures. None. I can not understand this.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Do your research, find out what invoice is for the car with the options you want is, find out what a fair price is and go in and tell the dealer what you will pay for the car you want. To do it the other way around is backwards and you will get screwed by the dealer. I am not sure of the exact percent, but is should be somewhere between 4% and 10% off of sticker to get you in the ballpark.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
2526b
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109623
What I Drive: Used car

FF Reputation: 1 2526b Good Standing Member
Thank you for the response. Im unsure how to do this as I went to a dealer, picked a vehicle and asked, "what is the price?" and received no answer.

Not even sticker price! I can not understand this. All the dealer could ask was, "ow much are you paying now?" "what are you looking to do today?" "my sales manager wants to know if you're willing to buy today?" etc.

Four dealerships and not ONE has said "we are asking "XYZ" for the vehicle."
Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

That is their main tactic, the what are you paying now, what payment can you make, they can always make huge profits when they start there. Use KBB and Edmunds as good starting points for some research, or just start at 10% or more off of sticker if it is a new car. You probably won't get that as markup is small on new compact cars. Key is you tell them what you are willing to pay for the car and not in the form of a monthly payment.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 4,504, Level 42
Points: 4,504, Level: 42 Points: 4,504, Level: 42 Points: 4,504, Level: 42
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I used email for a Mazda when I was cross shopping. They gave me a really shady price, every rebate used, horrid financing. You should use MSRPs as the highest end of the spectrum.

And go to different places, if you don't like it, walk. This netted us the deal we were initially looking for on a CR-V, but we ended up liking the Fusion better. They'll call you back, too.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

"The walk" is a key part of any new car buying strategy. When the dealer throws out a bunch of BS numbers and rhetoric, just walk out, and don't look back. Maybe next time you grace their doors they will get there head out of their a55, and try to get right, if not walk again. I have walked three times at one dealer only because they had the car my sister wanted, otherwise I would have been finding another dealer. Although that got us to within $350 of my initial low offer to them, which is where I told my sister to buy the dam car as I was spent dealing with these idiots.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
1lowfocus05
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106685
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 02 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 1lowfocus05 Good Standing Member
I work for Ford I will get you an answer in the Morning.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

Points 533, Level 10
Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If I may play the devils advocate for a moment...

I used to work as a car sales person for 8 years. This was one of the many frustrating questions a customer would ask. "What's the price???" or "Give me your best price." On a new car, it's clearly marked... it's called MSRP. Oh, you want better/lower than MSRP?? That's fine. Commit to buying the car and we will gladly negotiate with you. Oh, you want us to negotiate without a commitment from you? What, you think we like to negotiate for fun? No thanks. When you are ready to buy we will make you a deal. Until then, the price is the one listed on the sticker. Good day sir.

Check Edmunds.com for invoice pricing and True Market Value. Look at Cars.com to see what prices / deals are being advertised. Find the car you want, research it, determine what you are willing to pay (be reasonable), then go to the dealer ready to buy. If your offer is reasonable, they will take it. They may try to play hardball (to hold some profit), but if you are willing to walk, they will fold.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,768, Level 76
Points: 13,768, Level: 76 Points: 13,768, Level: 76 Points: 13,768, Level: 76
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
When I wanted to buy my new Focus, the first dealer was not even interested in talking to me!
At the second dealer, I was able to at least find out if anyone had the car i wanted.. But after several hours of nothing..
(Seems they wanted some commitment BEFORE they would even find out if they could get the car.. I walked.)
The way i found my car was internet search. When I found it 60 miles away, that small town dealer's salesman was online too. So I asked about it and went the same day and bought it.
I was not dickering at that point! I asked and got the advertised $850 internet discount. And a $500 Ford financing cash back.
Getting the exact car i wanted: Priceless.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

Points 1,858, Level 25
Points: 1,858, Level: 25 Points: 1,858, Level: 25 Points: 1,858, Level: 25
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 ShoOff Great Standing Member
I just picked up my 2013 SE Hatchback. I got pretty much every option avail to me including the upgraded suspension. I walked out paying about $24,000.
Hope that helped

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.