Tough Emblem Glue? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
alysonkc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118822
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 alysonkc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Tough Emblem Glue?

Preface: Hi, I'm Alyson, I live in Virginia and this is my first post! I drive a 2003 SE and I'm obsessed with Plasti Dip :)

Now, onto my problem... I recently debadged my Focus. Part of the reason I did it was because the emblems were half coming off (happy 10th birthday to my car.) I just pulled 'em right off with almost no resistance. I was left with a few chunks of the rubber backing and glue residue. I got the rubber chunks off pretty easy, and I have goo gone so glue residue will be a breeze right? No way. I have literally tried everything I can think of to get this stuff off. I soaked with goo gone and WD-40. I used a credit card, a putty knife, and even a razor blade to scrape. After at least 45 minutes of that, I gave up for a bit and came back with a heat gun. No luck. I feel like I might be able to use rubbing compound, but I don't want to swirl around those glue pieces and scratch my paint so I'm just really at a loss of how to get this crap off. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I just screwed?

Last edited by alysonkc; 09-11-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
KENNELLY
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115699
What I Drive: 2002 Focus zx3 Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 1 KENNELLY Good Standing Member
Hey i took the badges off my zx3. Didn't plasti dip my ford emblem though :P. I just used some bug and tar remover for cars and a microfiber cloth. Kept rubbing it and spraying it until it came off. No scratches where the focus or zx3 emblem were.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
alysonkc
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNELLY View Post
Hey i took the badges off my zx3. Didn't plasti dip my ford emblem though :P. I just used some bug and tar remover for cars and a microfiber cloth. Kept rubbing it and spraying it until it came off. No scratches where the focus or zx3 emblem were.
Cool, I never thought of that. I'll see about picking some of that up today. And yeah, I haven't really decided if I liked the dipped logo yet! I just figure if I don't like it I can peel it off, and I think it's fun to do, so why not? Haha.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
GiGiRockU
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109326
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus Ti 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 GiGiRockU Good Standing Member
I used Turtle Wax bug and tar remover on the sticky residue after i peeled the dealer sticker off, and it worked great. I was thinking of debadging the car, so its nice to know it should work on the emblems too.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah you're past the hard part. Goo Gone or bug & tar remover should take care of that. You can also use Fantastik or even Windex. Just hit it with some Meguiar's quick detail when you're done to protect the finish.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
alysonkc
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecicalese View Post
Yeah you're past the hard part. Goo Gone or bug & tar remover should take care of that. You can also use Fantastik or even Windex. Just hit it with some Meguiar's quick detail when you're done to protect the finish.
Naaaah, I dunno if you read that right. I tried the goo gone, so I really don't think Windex would do anything in regards to this glue. I mean I literally could not force the stuff off with a razor blade (although I wasn't putting full effort into it because I didn't want to risk messing up the paint.) I might try some bug and tar remover though.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysonkc View Post
Naaaah, I dunno if you read that right. I tried the goo gone, so I really don't think Windex would do anything in regards to this glue. I mean I literally could not force the stuff off with a razor blade (although I wasn't putting full effort into it because I didn't want to risk messing up the paint.) I might try some bug and tar remover though.
Ah yes I see now. It may have been tougher to do because of the WD-40, that would actually serve to make it harder to get off (whatever you use to scrape or pull the glue off will not get good enough contact to remove).

Use a hairdryer to soften it up and tap at it with the sticky side of some duct tape. It should grab the glue and pull it off the car. Don't use a large amount of the duct tape surface at once because you'll only end up getting that stuck. Once you have the bulk of it off, use a wet rag and some soap to get the remaining flecks off.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
alysonkc
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecicalese View Post
Ah yes I see now. It may have been tougher to do because of the WD-40, that would actually serve to make it harder to get off (whatever you use to scrape or pull the glue off will not get good enough contact to remove).

Use a hairdryer to soften it up and tap at it with the sticky side of some duct tape. It should grab the glue and pull it off the car. Don't use a large amount of the duct tape surface at once because you'll only end up getting that stuck. Once you have the bulk of it off, use a wet rag and some soap to get the remaining flecks off.
Maaaan. Okay. Yeah, that idea sounds totally doable. I think this is what I'll be trying first. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
fiveofocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60237
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fiveofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
hmm looks like wet sanding would knock that out fast then a Quick BUFF and you should be good to go!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
13focusHB
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116244
What I Drive: 2013 gray focus se 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 13focusHB Good Standing Member
I've removed tons of badges. It's something I do with every new car. So far, best thing is get it in the sun to make soft , use fishing line to remove main part, then I use turtle wax sticker remover-works like a charm

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->