AWD or FWD??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus RS > Focus RS

Focus RS The place to chat about news and rumors on the third generation Focus RS.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,189, Level 41
Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41 Points: 4,189, Level: 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
AWD or FWD???

Based on "inside" information from the press, one could conclude that it will be... ahhh just flip a coin.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...med-production

According to latest indications, the third-generation Focus RS is again likely to be front-wheel drive.

Ford insiders confirmed last year that four-wheel drive had been tried for the new RS in early engineering studies but engineers had decided to stick with the front-wheel drive formula of previous models.

A six-speed manual gearbox will be a standard equipment and to help the new Focus RS get its hefty power and torque onto the road, the car will again have a mechanical limited-slip differential, further tame any tendency to torque steer with the RevoKnuckle front suspension system.

----------

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...med-2014-12-11

It'll most likely be front-wheel-drive, Ford no doubt utilising its experience from the last Focus RS's RevoKnuckle technology to somehow make the power a more manageable lump.

----------

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-insider-info/

To put the power down, Ford will employ an entirely new AWD system intended for high-output applications. It's not the same system employed on the Fusion, Escape, and MKZ. The new system will employ torque vectoring front and rear to aid handling, and after debuting in the Focus RS it will trickle down to other applications.

----------

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/new-...auto-show.html

Ford will introduce the redesigned Ford F-150 SVT Raptor pickup truck at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show, Edmunds has learned. The new SVT Raptor pickup will share the spotlight with the redesigned Ford Focus RS, a high-horsepower, all-wheel-drive version of the popular Focus.

----------

http://jalopnik.com/its-happening-fo...ing-1669794697

The last we heard, it could have a version of the 2.3-liter turbo four in the Mustang EcoBoost, which makes a lot of sense. The word on the street lately is that it will stay front-wheel drive, which I'm okay with because demonic torque steer is a lot of fun.

----------

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fo...ally-confirmed

Unlike the Merc and Audi, the RS will remain front-wheel-drive – partly to keep costs down and also because the last-generation Focus RS showed that a Focus chassis can handle large power outputs thanks to a clever limited slip differential and trick RevoKnuckle front suspension

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,189, Level 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 17%
I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about what Ford will do and why, leaving personal preferences aside.

I thought that Ford would probably make the RS AWD to keep up with the Joneses (Golf R, etc.).
However, the previous generation (FWD) RS was considered to be brilliant, and has an almost legendary status among enthusiasts.

IMO, the bottom line for Ford is sales and they will sell very well regardless of how many wheels are driven.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,723, Level 58
Points: 7,723, Level: 58 Points: 7,723, Level: 58 Points: 7,723, Level: 58
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It'll be some fancy electronic AWD system that uses the brakes and magic to make the car feel like it's AWD, without actually being AWD.

/sarcasm

If it has stupid electronic "differential" type shenanigans then I'm not even remotely interested. I'm not saying zero electronic aids, but not in place of mechanical devices that work better.
Hatch Nation #29
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
wv rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 125497
What I Drive: 2010 grey s

Points 1,011, Level 17
Points: 1,011, Level: 17 Points: 1,011, Level: 17 Points: 1,011, Level: 17
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 wv rider Good Standing Member
if its not awd, i'll keep what i have.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,189, Level 41
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 17%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
It'll be some fancy electronic AWD system that uses the brakes and magic to make the car feel like it's AWD, without actually being AWD.

/sarcasm

If it has stupid electronic "differential" type shenanigans then I'm not even remotely interested. I'm not saying zero electronic aids, but not in place of mechanical devices that work better.
I highly doubt that it will have a brake-lock differential and there is no way that it will be 1WD like the ST.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.