Are new 2013 Focus's having same issues as 2012? - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #71
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Titanium View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to this site...
Welcome !

Let me start by saying that I don't have a 2013, but a 2012 which I bought in 30 September 2011, built in august 2011. It is DCT / NAV (MFT) equipped one and I am at 39 000 km mark. And I SIMPLY LOVE IT !
Yes, I had a problem with the DCT acting crazy AFTER an update made in February 2012. And yes, I had the same answer from the dealer who performed the update "It is normal!". The solution: I changed the dealer and the new one re-performed the update and everything was / is great! I had the FSA 12B performed in April 2012 and since then, everything is almost perfect. . I have the "grinding" noise from time to time but I don’t consider it an issue for now.

P.S. I drove all my life MT and this is my first automatic. This helps a lot in understanding why the DCT is different and how to get it act as I want. For a person who drove all his life automatics only (slush boxes), the frustration may build up really quick if she's not ready to change her driving style. Expecting for a DCT to act as an automatic one is useless, it will never happen. Learning how to drive your DCT is the way, and I assure you, it is better than an AT. Don't baby it the first 1000 miles and you'll not experience the shuddering some talk about.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #72
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I have the "grinding" noise from time to time but I donít consider it an issue for now.
I have not had any grinding noises yet, the car is remarkably silent. The suspension, unibody and interior have the solid, low frequency and well damped sound that I and my wife just love. I did just today hear the Click, Click sound when I touched the door handle but the hood was closed and I didn't hear the whir, my wife never heard the click (she was talking as usual!). I have heard the tranny working, it's not really a click, kind of a muted click/thump that does not bother me at all, I have to actually listen for it over the road noise to even notice it.

Quote:
P.S. I drove all my life MT and this is my first automatic. This helps a lot in understanding why the DCT is different and how to get it act as I want. For a person who drove all his life automatics only (slush boxes), the frustration may build up really quick if she's not ready to change her driving style. Expecting for a DCT to act as an automatic one is useless, it will never happen. Learning how to drive your DCT is the way, and I assure you, it is better than an AT. Don't baby it the first 1000 miles and you'll not experience the shuddering some talk about.
And I have had nothing but automatics.
When I first bought the car I was very concerned about the tranny but I had not even had time to read the manual completely at that time and there was 8 miles on the car including my test drive (3 when I first drove it) and while I was aware that it was dual clutch from the dealer that did not translate into automated manual in my mind.

My only change from your don't baby it the first 1000 miles is do be careful of full power starts from an incline to a level road for the first 200 miles, I had a Very hard shift and then an immediate gear change that took a year off my life and at 50 I don't have that many to spare, good thing I left the pedal floored and got it to pull strongly to redline after that, it added back my lost year and put a smile on my face.

I very strongly agree with you, learning how to drive the car with it's DCT requires a change of expectations in response and overall feel, however, I have to say that I, for one, love the changes and I have little sympathy for those that just want it to work like their "old" automatics from days gone by, I don't care if it clicks, whirs or sings the Star Spangled Banner. The tranny makes it feel as if the drive tires are connected to the crankshaft and that is something that I have envied of manuals for as long as I can remember, they don't call them slush boxes for nothing.

I traded in a 2000 Chevy Cavalier ($300.00, the tires were worth more than that) for this car and while some of those in this forum seem to have higher expectations and a much expanded wallet than I currently have expanding my pants pocket I find them to be nit picking and petty. I financed just under $28,000 for my car with an extended warranty and I think it is worth every penny I am paying for it (when I actually make a payment). The thing is loaded, Sat/Nav, Handling package, 18" wheels w/Michelin Ultra Performance summer tires, moonroof, nice paint and it even connects to my dinosaur phone, a Moto RAZR from about 8 years ago on T-Mobile pay as you go, I have already made a call and successfully completed a Vehicle Diagnostic Report - Who needs Metadata with a $200.00+ a month smart phone fee...

The Nav works so well, that once you understand the ridiculously counter intuitive interface its actually easy to use (do they really need to gray out touch buttons before you are done entering a house number?). The voice commands work excellently when you learn the proper command structure that they are expecting, note the stupid house number example above. Unlike some, I have not yet seen it showing me riding on a river or through a field, it's accuracy puts my Garmin Nuvi 755 to shame and its update time in the city is actually usable unlike any other SAT only unit that I have ever tried. There is no separate Nav unit that can use dead reckoning, vehicle speed and direction to update your position fast enough to use in the city (At least in my city or in any unit hat I have ever tried).

The car drives like it's on rails (An old term meaning it handles like a dream or a lotus if your into those), it doesn't roll over and give you the willies on a corner nor wander or under/over steer, it goes where you point it and does so in a way that inspires confidence in its solidity to stay that way and not kick out (ass end) or seem to go straight (under steer). Advise, learn the tranny, learn to love the connection from the engine to the drive wheels and stop whining about how it "Doesn't act right".

I have less than 400 miles on this car and I can see the potential without ever knowing that it had an automated manual when I bought it. I fail to see why others refuse to understand that the tranny is new tech and will NOT act as they suspect even after reading this forum. Why is it that a smart phone user will accept all manner of weird and strange behavior from their electronic device and not the new tech car they just bought? Color me mystified as to others willful disregard of reality but don't expect me to be sympathetic.

I knew that I had not done all the research into the new tech and I knew that I was NOT looking at a Ford Focus, I was looking at Altimas, Subaru's and several others. The Focus caught my eye. It's sexy, sleek and sporty looking. If you drive one you WILL love it if you love to drive. If you are looking for a "Me to" car then this is not the car for you, the shifting will drive you crazy, the MyFordTouch system will not work for you, the Sat Nav system will put you in a river while you are on the road and lead you nowhere.

However, when I am in the car I feel like I can do anything I wish to do, your expectations may vary but it is your limited expectations that I would posit to be your limits. The car is excellent for those that love to drive and understand technology and it's limits when on the leading edge. Quirky behavior is expected, you learn to deal with it or get left behind.

Message from my non-existant lawyers---
This post is in no way meant to offend, if your Focus has a REAL issue then by all means go after the Dealership/Ford to get it resolved. Contact the Ford Rep. in this forum to help you, she has always been available for real issues and has posted repeatedly on how you may do that.

I love my new car, she has her own style, personality and is friends with my wife, not many can claim that.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #73
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
I have little sympathy
You guys who blame the very real drivability issues some are seeing on the drivers crack me up. I can only hope one day your tranny doesn't go south and force you to call yourself a whiner.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #74
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
http://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Focus/reliability-88

2013 are way better than 2012 so far.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #75
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post

Are not the 2013's such as I own the same as the 2012's but with the updates?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #76
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...Message from my non-existant lawyers---
This post is in no way meant to offend, if your Focus has a REAL issue then by all means go after the Dealership/Ford to get it resolved. Contact the Ford Rep. in this forum to help you, she has always been available for real issues and has posted repeatedly on how you may do that...
Thanks for the shout-out, PandT!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #77
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
God, no!

Many changes (both software and mechanical) have been put into the vehicle design over the first year of production. And Ford isn't about to collect all of the cars with problem parts and give free repairs. No way, Jose.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #78
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yes, the 2013 has the same basic hardware with the updates TCU software that they flash into the 2012's.

There is some mention (nothing official) that clutch plates got longer rivets, although it is unknown if clutch rivet failure was an issue, how this improved the tranny, and when and if this was cut in to production.

Some seals leaked in 2012, but we don't know why or if there was any change in design, or bad seals, or any root cause analysis.

So until Ford publishes an official production change document, everything else is hearsay.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #79
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post

The '13s have a little less than half the complaints the '12s do. To be expected since there are roughly twice as many '12s on the road.

This does nothing to disprove the belief that the '13s are the same as the "improved" '12s (i.e. with 12B37 and any other applicable TSBs or updates applied.)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #80
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
God, no!

Many changes (both software and mechanical) have been put into the vehicle design over the first year of production. And Ford isn't about to collect all of the cars with problem parts and give free repairs. No way, Jose.
Isn't that what he meant by "with the updates"? What significant improvements do the '13s have that weren't available to the '12s via TSBs, general updates, or simply the late-build '12s?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.